Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sisko

What saw for cutting composite stick

Stupid question, but..

Cutting down wood/fiberglass/laminated sticks I use a hand-saw with saw-blade for wood. Having my first carbon/fiberglass shaft now, I wonder what saw to use since I have had no experience with carbon before. What saw-blade should I use (wood, metal)? Is there anything I should watch out for in order to not damaging/cracking a shaft? Thanks.

But if i have access to one, say in... my garage. Is it alright to use?

Abrasive saw, not made for a toothed blade. That said, I just tried it on a broken Dolomite; worked as good as my carbide-toothed miter saw. A little slower, but a very clean cut.

Go for it.

Anyone ever used a metal cut off saw for cutting sticks?

(pic)

Thats the saw we use in our store. Be careful of inhaling the dust though.

Anyone ever used a metal cut off saw for cutting sticks?

Every time for years now and it works perfectly - clean straight cuts every time.

I use a hobby saw from Ace Hardware, and even it smoothly with sandpaper

We used to get our blades from golfsmith, they were made for cutting composite shafts. It saved a lot of time in the shop. You just can't use those blades on wood.

Rachel, do you use a toothed blade (auluminum/wood) or an abrasive blade (steel)?

Abrasive. It's a little 6" metal cutoff saw from Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-cut-off-saw-41453.html. It has other uses in my shop to justify the $50 price tag, but it is pretty much perfect for cutting composite sticks. On wood sticks, it blackens the end and makes a bit of smoke, but it does make a clean cut in them as well.

Unnecessary. Just get a good hacksaw and blade.

Although I will agree - it saves a lot of time an energy and also saves in the long run.

After spending $10 or so for two different saws and exerting a lot of energy I opted to buy the saw seen here - http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Saws-Miter-Saws/h_d1/N-aqcpZ5yc1v/R-202078684/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 . I got it for $69 + tax on sale last winter....

I mainly am cutting wood end plugs since I extend my sticks, but have used this saw on composites and it cuts through just fine.

Although I will agree - it saves a lot of time an energy and also saves in the long run.

After spending $10 or so for two different saws and exerting a lot of energy I opted tow buy the saw seen here - http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053 . I got it for $69 + tax on sale last winter....

I mainly am cutting wood end plugs since I extend my sticks, but have used this saw on composites and it cuts through just fine.

I got the same saw on black friday last year haha. Grabbed a carbide blade with a bunch of teeth and it's worked out great

I use a $10 hacksaw with medium tooth blades and a $5 mitre box. Replace the blades every few months and it shouldn't take more than about 30 seconds to saw through a stick.