Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mug25

Ever do something on the ice you really regret?

In a tournament, The ref gave some bad calls in my opinion. Throwing out my partner on defense for a check from behind when the other guy felt by himself, gave us like 5-6 penaltys and never gave one to the other team. So I was really angry at that ref so one time, I rushed a puck at the offensive blueline, but I hit the wingman that was going to the puck (not what I wanted to do). We were one goal behind and 2 minutes to go. The ref gave me a roughing call, so I asked him if the BJ he had in the locker room from the other team was good so he threw me out of the game. My reaction... spitting on him. It's the worse thing I did on a hockey rink.

Damn dude that's pretty messed up. Seeing your pics in the Pics of Yourself thread it looks like you play in adult league, right? I hope you apologized to the guy. If someone did that to one of the refs in our league I don't think he'd ever be welcome back.

I know it's lame. I apologized like the day after. It was a adult league tournament with money in the end of it (like 1500$ for the winner team and 500$ for the second place). I forgot to say that it was the final (not a good reason at all by the way). But it was couples years ago and it made me think about why I play hockey, and since then, I'm less serious (even if money is involve) and it's all about fun. When the ref doing bad calls, I laugh. I think it make him think about his call instead of confirme it. But, it's the ''Ever do something on the ice you really regret'' thread and it about the worst thing I made.

Never seen anyone spit on the ref before, bold move. I did have a teammate in HS tell a ref he was going to eat his children though.

Not bold, low. but like he said he regrets it and has learned.

A couple months ago I was playing in a men’s league helping out a friends team two levels down from mine.

First shift of the game I'm playing D holding the line. Player on the other team trys to chip the puck past me. I block his outlet with my leg and dump it back behind their net. In his frustration he cross checks me in the mouth and knocks a couple of my teeth loose, blood all over the place. He get a double minor and we score 2 goals on it.

Start of the third playing in front of the net the same guy high sticks/slashes me in the face. Cuts my jaw/chin area enough to start bleeding pretty good, but no stitches. I shove past him heading for the bench. Ref gives me a penalty for shoving the guy on my way to the bench.

I absolutely lost my shit. I was screaming at him, ranting about how he blew the call, how could he miss a play like that in front of the net with the puck right there. Saying it was the same guy who hit me in the first period and how he should be kicked out. The refs response "You're too good to be playing in this division" my response "So that means I deserve to get my face mutilated?" as I flicked blood off my hand onto his stripes.

He rightly tosses me from the game to which I respond "good, saves me from having to deal with your horseshit officiating"

We won the game and I got my suspension recinded. The ref no longer officates in that league. I guess he had a bunch of complaints.

You know, I've done a few retaliatory hits in my day but nothing too bad, never hurt a guy. So far, fingers crossed.

I will say, the one thing I feel bad about is that a few weeks ago I claimed an assist that should have gone to my linemate. Refs don't see much aside from the goal so we're always calling out scoring changes, which is fine. Didn't occur that he should have gotten it until after the scorekeeper left. Not the end of the world, but something that's been bugging me ever since.

I have two regrets in my hockey career.

One was breaking a guys collarbone on a clean hit in a league that contact was allowed. But I still regret that I hit him how I did. He had his head down and I knew before I hit him that he would be hurting, and I did it anyway. This was not a competitive league, it was an intramural college league.

Second regret is stepping on the ice in for a high school practice while being drunk. That was one HELL of a long practice and I've never touched a beer before skating since!!

Guy and I raced towards a loose puck along the boards around center ice. As we met shoulder to shoulder and hit the boards together, we became tangled and both fell backwards . As we got up, I was able to corral the puck from my knees and move it to a teammate. The guy who I went into the boards was upset for some reason (thought I did something cheap to him?) and stood up. He was about 4-5 feet away and took a baseball bat swing at my face. I watched the blade of his stick whip in front of my face just a few inches away and the only thing that saved me was the fact that he was simply too far away for his swing to make contact.

I was in shock that he'd attempt such a thing and didn't do anything. I regret not beating his face in.

I'm beginning to wonder if PTSD issues are real when they come to anger that comes out on the ice. I was digging for a puck that had fallen right in front of the goaltender and an opposing D stuck his stick between my legs and began the twist you off balance manuver. I didn't really think at all and gave him the quick two handed chop across the lower ribs to get him out of the way (which very well could have been called) and he literally flew back into the net and knocked it off the moors. I reacted instantly without having any thoughts about it until the mayhem ensued. I probably could just as easily gave him a throat chop the way I was in scoring mode. He's been a dick to me in the past but that really had nothing to do with this incident as he could have been the pope as much as I would have noticed at the time. He was just something in the way to me.

Round 3 of our playoffs, I got high sticked and "cup checked" by the same hack artist of a player, late in the third on a 2 on 1 he launched himself helmet to helmet at my head, (knowing Ive had concussion issues in the past). Ended up skipping the next game after that loss because I knew I'd take a run at him...really regret letting my team down by not playing.

I regret not punching someone in the face, and still getting kicked out of the game.

I know the feeling. Back in high school, our team would put a team in a local summer league to stay in shape. Second game in, I'm watching one of my teammates in a fight. I was holding the jersey of an opponent, and he was doing the same to me. Not wrestling, pulling, anything like that, just holding each other to keep the other from joining in. The zebras break up the fight, we release the grip on each other, skate away, and we both get penalized for "fighting".

Our punishment was being kicked out of the league. $350 down the drain. I got a second job just to pay for that league too. :(

Smashing the heel of my custom XXX Lite rendering it useless.. the heels busted now but I still have it and regret it every time I pick it up.

last spring season this one kid just kept pestering me the entire game and with about 2min left in the third we are down 2-1..im skating down the ice with the puck he comes over top of me two hands my stick breaks my brand new stick and takes the puck. no call..we had our goalie pulled for the extra attacker and me being the short tempered kid that i am chase him down the ice he puts it in the net right as he turns around after scoring..boom..nail him right into the net.. his head it the cross bar and he was out cold..felt extremely bad after..apologized the next time i saw him..still regret it.

once played a tourney and things got a bit heated and the ref blows the whistle for the end of the game, and a guy just takes a total run at me well after the whistle.. still surprised I didnt get him..

that same tourney there was this super young goalie I think he was around 11 playing against 17 years old.. and I was a few metres away totally alone and sommeone fed me the puck and I just one timed it as hard as I could.. (wcich apparently is quite hard..) and hit the goalie in the stomach area I believe.. he didnt finish the tourney because he was in so much pain..

You know, I've done a few retaliatory hits in my day but nothing too bad, never hurt a guy. So far, fingers crossed.

I will say, the one thing I feel bad about is that a few weeks ago I claimed an assist that should have gone to my linemate. Refs don't see much aside from the goal so we're always calling out scoring changes, which is fine. Didn't occur that he should have gotten it until after the scorekeeper left. Not the end of the world, but something that's been bugging me ever since.

Had the keeper give one of my assists to the guy later in the season. All is right with the world.

You apologized, and were sincere about it. I say you should be all set.

I'm sure i have a few that I've bricked off in the basement of my brain, but I do recall one. There a player in our beer league that just hated me. Not sure if I did anything, or if he just hated that I played him as hard as he would play (which was very hard). We'd always trade roughing penalties and BS. He moved away, but the next year or so, I was at a tournament and he was on one of the teams were were playing. I didn't even remember him, until after the game when someone else pointed that fact out to me. During the game, it was like old times FOR HIM. I really didn't care much about him, and didn't have the residual animosity like when we played in a league. He gave me cross checks, elbows, slashes, etc... He did something behind the play (no call), and I can't actually remember it (two-handed to the shins, or a slew-foot maybe), but it finally pissed me off, so as we were skating out of the zone I butt-ended right in the chest, ala the pool cue method.

His jaw dropped wide open, and he was stunned by the sheer audacity of what I did. He didn't follow me around or go after me... he just kinda coasted in shock.

I really regret doing that. He deserved a confrontation, but using my stick was definitely not the right thing to do.

After fuming over it for a few minutes, the guy skated up to my captain, and told him to tell me he was going to kill me. My captain's reply was simply, "go tell him yourself" which he never did. He didn't really do much after that. I think it went down in the third period, so he may have ran out of time before he could return the favor.

Only thing I really regret was how I reacted towards a ref one time.

I was playing high school hockey at the time, but was a spare player for a A team in the area. The coach was a teammates dad, so he asked a few of us first year hs kids to be a spare player if needed. So they were in a tournament and needed two of us to play for them, no big deal. I was a forward in HS, but dropped back to defense for the A team. Anyways, so we went into overtime in the first game, playing D and jumped up into the play to go for the win, but one of our forwards missed a pass, so they sprung one of their guys the other way. I was able to catch up with him and was side by side near the red line. He was doing a great job to protect the puck, but I was able to get a stride in front of him and knock the puck of his stick while I was falling, which then caused the other guy to fall. Puck first, if anything, maybe two in the box, but the ref decides to give him a penalty shot. Guy ends up scoring, so we lost.

I ended up getting MVP of the game and when the ref hands me my MVP medal and offers to shake my hand, I look at him and tell him to "f**k off".

Never once regretted a hit or anything, but for me to show that kind of poor sportsmenship really bothers me to this day.

Just recently, Last Saturday I was on a women beginner player and I was stick lifting her to try to get the puck away and I apparently was playing way to hard. I felt real bad since I was really pushing her with the stick lifts. I probably should have toned it down but for some reason I couldn't. I aplogized to her after the game how ever and bought her a beer. She understood that my adrenaline got the best of me, but I still felt bad because if I was new to the sport and somebody was coming at me that hard, it would put me off of the sport as a beginner.

Jabbed a guy in the back of his knee with my stick last night. We were battling in front of the net while we were up a goal. The dude came around the back of the net with his head down, I stood my ground and he went down pretty hard. As he got up, he took two hard, two handed swings right at my ankles (freakin hurt btw). Once he turned around to face a shot from the point, anger got the best of me and I gave him a good jab. I lucked out in the end, ref gave us both penalties. Still a stupid move on my part though...