Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
malcb33

SK-8T fuel

Has anyone tried SK-8T fuel? It definitely sounds interesting?

Not sure how a "permanent liquid layer" is going to intensify your edge... :dry:

Edited by IniNew

I have no idea if this actually works, but wouldn't reducing "friction by maintaining a permanent liquid layer between the skate blade and ice surface" be the same thing Thermablades tried to achieve?

Save your money :)

Really have you tried it?

Ever player I have used it with has noticed a difference but one skating coach. And that person even said with the steel they had (z-channel) that may be the reason and I agree.

Thats from AAA bantam kids to some top NHL players. All said they noticed it after they came off the ice and we didnt tell them it was on the skates before hand they thought I had just done the skates in a different way.

I've never used SK8T fuel but will say most blade treatments work well. The only way to know if it works for you is to try it. Friction reducers do work, they are not "snakeoil", they've been proven over and over.

Oldtrainer guy, why would you say a blade treatment would not work on a Zchannel? I use them all the time on ZC's and they work well. A liquid one would be even better than say a wax type as it could easily be applied inside the channel. Not necessary though for friction reduction, more for snow removal in the channel. But a friction reducer on the outside of the channel would work identical to any other type sharpening.

Really have you tried it?

Ever player I have used it with has noticed a difference but one skating coach. And that person even said with the steel they had (z-channel) that may be the reason and I agree.

Thats from AAA bantam kids to some top NHL players. All said they noticed it after they came off the ice and we didnt tell them it was on the skates before hand they thought I had just done the skates in a different way.

I'm not saying that it doesn't have an effect or what have you, but imo it definitely isn't worth the $25+tax that it costs. If you factor in the time for application and re-application, a lot of the 'effects' you might notice could even be placebo.

I've given it a good test run and haven't found any noticeable on-ice improvements. One of the claims of SK-8 Fuel was less buildup of snow, but I was still pulling slush between shifts and after skates. On the other hand, it didn't hinder any part of my game, either. After proper application, it makes the blade feel smooth to the touch, if not a little greasy. It's a nice little addition for shop guys to add at the end of honing, but probably isn't worth the MSRP.

I've given it a good test run and haven't found any noticeable on-ice improvements. One of the claims of SK-8 Fuel was less buildup of snow, but I was still pulling slush between shifts and after skates. On the other hand, it didn't hinder any part of my game, either. After proper application, it makes the blade feel smooth to the touch, if not a little greasy. It's a nice little addition for shop guys to add at the end of honing, but probably isn't worth the MSRP.

What, $25 for a treatment! Something doesn't seem right. Not worth more than $2. I've researched all the friction reducers, and experimented with almost all of them. Even the best NASA grade I use doesn't cost or is worth $25.

What, $25 for a treatment! Something doesn't seem right. Not worth more than $2. I've researched all the friction reducers, and experimented with almost all of them. Even the best NASA grade I use doesn't cost or is worth $25.

Lol... I never said anything about charging for a treatment. The kit itself is what's expensive. I was talking about something for sharpeners to do to a blade post-honing. For that, probably wouldn't charge more than an extra buck or two.

Lol... I never said anything about charging for a treatment. The kit itself is what's expensive. I was talking about something for sharpeners to do to a blade post-honing. For that, probably wouldn't charge more than an extra buck or two.

Wow, you scared me for a moment! I've paid $75 for 1/4 oz of a different special stuff, so $25 for a kit is ok.

Upon further review...

Took a decent shinny skate tonight without SK8 Fuel. Not sure if it was the late ice time, or that my legs were just tired (hadn't really done anything out of the ordinary), or that I had a fresh 90/75 sharpening, but I felt slightly stickier on the ice. I've been using SF the past three or four sessions because we have a tester available in the shop, but didn't notice a change then. I'm going to give SF another try tomorrow... let you know if I feel a difference this time around.

I've never used SK8T fuel but will say most blade treatments work well. The only way to know if it works for you is to try it. Friction reducers do work, they are not "snakeoil", they've been proven over and over.

Oldtrainer guy, why would you say a blade treatment would not work on a Zchannel? I use them all the time on ZC's and they work well. A liquid one would be even better than say a wax type as it could easily be applied inside the channel. Not necessary though for friction reduction, more for snow removal in the channel. But a friction reducer on the outside of the channel would work identical to any other type sharpening.

I don't believe I said it didn't work I believe I said the person on it didn't feel the difference. Now anyone else and I only work with Pros that I use it with and don't tell them I am using it ALL have said they felt the difference. Including some big name NHL guys.

I even tried it on a goalie that didn't have his skate sharpened so there was no heat to allow the SF to get into the blade better and he said on a dull skate it felt like a fresh sharpening but wore near the end of a 2 hour work out.

I know they are getting independent 3rd party testing done so that facts can be shown that it actually does help with glide and corners as it says it does!

:facepalm:

I don't believe I said it didn't work I believe I said the person on it didn't feel the difference. Now anyone else and I only work with Pros that I use it with and don't tell them I am using it ALL have said they felt the difference. Including some big name NHL guys.

I even tried it on a goalie that didn't have his skate sharpened so there was no heat to allow the SF to get into the blade better and he said on a dull skate it felt like a fresh sharpening but wore near the end of a 2 hour work out.

I know they are getting independent 3rd party testing done so that facts can be shown that it actually does help with glide and corners as it says it does!

I wish I only worked with Professionals :facepalm:

Oh, I thought when you said this, "And that person even said with the steel they had (z-channel) that may be the reason and I agree", you meant that you agreed that it wouldn't work with the Z channel.

Third party testing is the way to go (unlike thermoblades internal testing). I hope they don't use live skaters, rather controlled lab testing. Still I have yet to see a blade treatment that doesn't work better than a blade not treated, even plain wax improves glide.

:facepalm:

I wish I only worked with Professionals :facepalm:

Nice......

(As in the fact that I only use it with the higher level players outside of work as I dont have endless supplies for FREE to use it on all skaters skates).

I guess I need to clarify EVERYTHING I write.

Feedback I am getting is it works best when applied while the blade is hot. Also I apply with the product on a piece of leather and go slowly over the blade. So far its had pretty good results both teams I am working with for the season seem to really like it.

All right, so upon further review of using Sk8-Fuel, the product has been making a difference and the on-ice performance is noticeable. I've skated with it, skated without it, then skated with it again, and was able to tell the difference. While not really noticeable on straight, end-to-end skating, I found myself in and out of turns and pivots faster than without an application.

However, I wouldn't bank on the claim that the paste's film is 'permanent,' even without sharpening. After 1 hour of ice time I've been getting snow and slush buildup on the side of my blades... To be fair, I've been wiping off my blades liberally after every session, so that might have something to do with it, but I can't bring myself to store my skates in my bag without drying them off.

Nu Finish car wax would work exactly the same way. The language that they used in the video discribed car wax.

I don't think Nu-Finish is a good choice because it's very abrasive actually. However, I don't see why a modern non-carnauba based automotive sealant that's designed to sheet water wouldn't do the same thing. Some modern sealants have amazing durability and ability to sheet water.

I still own distribution rights for a large chemical manufacturer. If a sharpening shop wanted to test out a product I think would work, I'd be more then glad to send some out for free and see if they like it. It's an aircraft grade product with strong adhesion properties to stainless steel. Lot more cost effective than this too.

I've been using this product a month or so now. I do notice a difference in guide when using the product, kinda like trying FBV for the first time. It's not mind blowing or anything but I do feel the product gives you a slight advantage. Shame about their attitude though.

Edited by malcb33