Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
malcb33

SK-8T fuel

JR - maybe he did not understand what you do? ... if its a trade show he was prolly looking for distributors and not realizing the benefit of a online forum to spread the word about the product ... some people have no idea that online forums such as these are a great way to answer questions about a product

Thanks for the input malcb33 ... will probably get it and try it out ... cheap enough anyway ... will give feedback once I try it

My quick review, is there much of a difference on glide and turn, maybe, but nothing huge, most likely in the mind, however, 2 things it does, which I love,

1. I have almost no buildup of snow on the blade after a shift, in the past I would have to wipe off everytime.

2. My sharpen seems to last longer, usually notice I need a sharpen after 3 icetimes, I'm at 5 skates and I still feel like I could go another one without a sharpen.

Worth $25, you use very little, so it should last, with me and the little guy getting more skates out of the sharpen, it should be worth it from that standpoint.

Edited by tro

Well, methinks that about says it all.

No, wait, the real money's in licensing other people to act as dealers: then you just sit back and watch the royalty cheques roll in!

Hello JR, Ron here from SK-8T Fuel. Yes we did meet at the show in Vegas and as Buccaneer said in his post I did misunderstand and for whatever reason though you were looking to sell it on line. Certainly didn't intend to offend. My misunderstanding and mistake. Cheers!

So I decided to give this stuff a try. The package came in yesterday just in time for my game. As soon as I stepped on the ice I felt a difference. I was gliding smoother and my edge control was noticeably better. I'm gonna use it in tonight's game and tomorrow for open hockey. I'm gonna get my skates sharpened tomorrow beforehand, use them w/o the S8-T Fuel and then put some on around the half way in the session to see how much of a difference it really makes. So far I'm liking it.

So I decided to give this stuff a try. The package came in yesterday just in time for my game. As soon as I stepped on the ice I felt a difference. I was gliding smoother and my edge control was noticeably better. I'm gonna use it in tonight's game and tomorrow for open hockey. I'm gonna get my skates sharpened tomorrow beforehand, use them w/o the S8-T Fuel and then put some on around the half way in the session to see how much of a difference it really makes. So far I'm liking it.

I would recommend that you do a skate with it on then a skate with out applying the FUEL right after the skate is sharpened and still warm. That seems to work the best for application.

I would recommend that you do a skate with it on then a skate with out applying the FUEL right after the skate is sharpened and still warm. That seems to work the best for application.

Got it! The first time I used the stuff I got my skates sharpened. Thanks for posting this because I would've tried to put it on w/o sharpening them because I left the directions at home.

I have used it on my daughter's skates for close to a season now. Sometimes I forget to put it on after a sharpening... and she often times tells me that the cut was no good. I doubt that since we have a friend that cuts them for us and is very meticulous. That is not definitive proof that it works, but she does seem to notice when the blades have been treated and when they have not been treated. She is a strong skater and complains about edge control mainly when the blades are not treated.

Does anyone know if this product works? I saw it on a holiday guide buying video. If it does what it claims, then it could be considered to be "The Poor Man's BlackEdge" (if one believes that BlackEdge does what it claims, specifically with the increased glide).

"The SK-8T Fuel Ice Skate Blade Coating works by reducing friction between the skate's runner and the ice surface. SK-8T Fuel acts like a lubricant to offer a smoother and more fluid glide when corning, cutting, starting and stopping. After the first use, it increases the edge life of the skates and works to eliminate rust and slush by repelling it away. One jar has approximately 20 applications in it and you only need to re-apply SK-8T Fuel after you sharpen your skates. The usage of SK-8T Fuel has been approved in the NHL and all other organizations. It is safe to use with your honing stone or sharpening machine, the coating simply sticks to the metal particles and is removed along with them."

Let me start off by saying that I've never actually used this product. Here is my problem with it...if a product like this actually worked then there is no way the NHL would approve it for game use. It isn't giving anybody a competitive advantage. When skates are sharpened there is a coating applied to the blade on the last pass that more or less ensures a super smooth finish on the blade...I don't see how a liquid coating is going to save your edges. Besides the fact that they will wear down no matter what, you will always get nicks and burs from other skates, sticks, goal posts, benches, boards etc. On increased glide, I'm sure it has some affect, probably so minimal though that it will be impossible to notice. Just my opinion.

Sounds more like an oil used to keep any type of oxidation off. Even if its not blatant rust oxidation occurs immediatly at even a small level that does effect things. one of the secrets of ancient Japanese swords is the fact they coated them in a way no one knows that prevents pretty much all of the oxidation and keeps the blade extremely sharp.

But this is on ice, I think the time would be better used making the metal super smooth and decreasing friction there. But then again there is only so much that will do.

Used it for a year. Just found it to expensive to use all the time. I was told it felt better and when I used it I could feel a little more glide but I let the players tell me as they are ont he ice more than I am. I know talking to Edmonton trainer RNH still uses it all the time.

I researched and read all the articles, and it sounds like it's more of an initial edge-saver than a glide-increaser. To me, it sounds as though the liquid helps increase the life of the blade edge for the time that the coating actually lasts. It does nothing in itself to increase glide. The equipment manager in their video likely sharpened their skates with a shallower hollow.

A gimmick if you ask me. If anything, it only lasts a short time before it is worn off the blade edge.

Sounds more like an oil used to keep any type of oxidation off. Even if its not blatant rust oxidation occurs immediatly at even a small level that does effect things. one of the secrets of ancient Japanese swords is the fact they coated them in a way no one knows that prevents pretty much all of the oxidation and keeps the blade extremely sharp.

But this is on ice, I think the time would be better used making the metal super smooth and decreasing friction there. But then again there is only so much that will do.

The best goalie, and also the best skater in my area are both Japanese. I will ask them if they know the secret of the swords, and are willing to share it with me.

The best goalie, and also the best skater in my area are both Japanese. I will ask them if they know the secret of the swords, and are willing to share it with me.

Probably not. I suspect tradition doesn't allow that secret to be told; but then again you never know...

There's a thread on this already, but it reminds me that we sell it in our store. I keep on meaning to pluck one off of our shelves and try it, because the company wouldn't provide me with a sample, which in my opinion, spoke volumes.

• Like 1

Let me start off by saying that I've never actually used this product. Here is my problem with it...if a product like this actually worked then there is no way the NHL would approve it for game use. It isn't giving anybody a competitive advantage. When skates are sharpened there is a coating applied to the blade on the last pass that more or less ensures a super smooth finish on the blade...I don't see how a liquid coating is going to save your edges. Besides the fact that they will wear down no matter what, you will always get nicks and burs from other skates, sticks, goal posts, benches, boards etc. On increased glide, I'm sure it has some affect, probably so minimal though that it will be impossible to notice. Just my opinion.

By that logic, the NHL never would have approved composite sticks. Not saying this stuff works, but the NHL isn't in the business of blocking things that make them perform better, so long as it's not a chemical acting on the body.

By that logic, the NHL never would have approved composite sticks. Not saying this stuff works, but the NHL isn't in the business of blocking things that make them perform better, so long as it's not a chemical acting on the body.

Well let me point out that the NHL made overdrive blades on goalie skates illegal. They provided a mild advantage but they mostly helped prevent injury, not approved for game use. Tall step steel on goalie skates, also illegal in the NHL, can't say it provides a competitive advantage but it is illegal. Thigh boards, illegal because they cover some of the five-hole.

These aren't pieces of equipment in and of them selves that are made illegal but they are add ons to equipment, such as the SK8T blade coating. That is why composite sticks are perfectly ok.

well then in your theory Max edge and others that have a "glide" enhancer to them would be illegal?

I have no idea what Max edge is. If you are referring to the liquid that is put onto the blade before the final pass while sharpening then all that really does is ensure a smooth finish. It doesn't enhance glide directly, a smoother finish means less friction which would lead to more glide. It isn't a direct effect. In the end all of these differences are so small that most people won't be able to tell the difference anyway. If SK8T actually does what it claims,which it probably doesn't, then it wouldn't be allowed. This is like arguing that you're going to notice the difference between 32/64" and 33/64" hollow on a sharpening.

If it's available to everyone then it's not an unfair advantage and I doubt it would be banned by the NHL. Composite sticks allow players to shoot harder and they're not banned and they provide a similar advantage in shooting to what this product proports to provide for skating.

Overdrive blades were banned, in my understanding, because they changed the way skates actually function, by adding an extra blade. This product doesn't do that, just like composite sticks don't change the way sticks function, they improve the way those pieces function. Now I'm not a goalie, so I never followed the overdrive debate, so I could be wrong on why they were banned, but that's the way I understood it

Didn't they ban those heated blades as well with the reason being they help you go too fast and would increase injuries?

I saw those here, text states that those are forbidden in the NHL but allowed within certain leagues. With a battery & the added effort I doubt anyone would switch to those even if one could...