Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lee-Bro

Suspenders: over or under the shoulder pads?

Mine always slid off my shoulders (wearing them under) until I put some tape around the adjustment thing on the back to keep it from slipping down. This is why I'm considering over the shoulder pads.

The tabs aren't the issue, my problem is that THIS part keeps coming undone:

2XQqM.png

Especially because I have to make them REALLY tight to keep my pants up (I'm a fat guy, so my gut actually pushes my pants down)

Sew, or have someone sew, a strong line of stitches right below the buckle (when you have it tightened the way you like). That will prevent the slippage you are describing.

Sew, or have someone sew, a strong line of stitches right below the buckle (when you have it tightened the way you like). That will prevent the slippage you are describing.

Heh, durr... thats a pretty obvious thing that somehow I didn't even think about. The way it threads into the "buckle" I should be able to actually sew it in and still be able to adjust them.

I still might try another brand though, but I'm definitely going to start wearing them over my shoulder pads.

OK, I think I got it. The adjustment loosens up so much that the straps basically fall off your shoulders to the outside? I haven't had that problem with suspenders I've had, BWTFDIK about what's currently available? I've always used Coopers, and still do.

I've got a bit of the same problem, as I'm packing a keg, not a six-pack, but it hasn't affected the suspenders.

This is something I've been meaning to ask for a while. I have a hard time keeping my pants up. I use suspenders and really hike them up, but then they're so tight that they actually come undone (the strap slips out from the adjustment buckle). I've resorted to just trying them to the "Y" straps that attach to my pants, but I'm just trying to figure out if there is a better way.

I also wrapped some tape around the plastic piece in the back because they kept slipping down over my shoulders.

I'm using cheap A&R suspenders... maybe another brand may hold better? I dunno...

I've always worn mine under, but I think wearing them over my shoulderpads might hold the straps in place better, but still doesnt solve my issue of them coming undone. Thoughts?

I had this same slippage with my A&R suspenders. It got to the point where it was extremely frustrating to have them slip loose in the middle of games. I bought a pair of Reebok suspenders and never once had the issue with them. The Reebok, Easton, and Bauer ones seem to have a different method of construction for this fastener as opposed to the A&R's.

OK, I think I got it. The adjustment loosens up so much that the straps basically fall off your shoulders to the outside? I haven't had that problem with suspenders I've had, BWTFDIK about what's currently available? I've always used Coopers, and still do.

I've got a bit of the same problem, as I'm packing a keg, not a six-pack, but it hasn't affected the suspenders.

Precisely, they loosen and slip down over my shoulders. Wearing them over my shoulder pads would solve that issue.

And since I have them so tight to keep my pants up and not slip, they actually come undone at the buckle (as I mentioned earlier). Another brand may fix that, or I could just sew them.

I had this same slippage with my A&R suspenders. It got to the point where it was extremely frustrating to have them slip loose in the middle of games. I bought a pair of Reebok suspenders and never once had the issue with them. The Reebok, Easton, and Bauer ones seem to have a different method of construction for this fastener as opposed to the A&R's.

I think I'm going to try Easton. I was going to use Reebok, but since I have Easton pants, I might as well go with Easton suspenders.

Heh, durr... thats a pretty obvious thing that somehow I didn't even think about. The way it threads into the "buckle" I should be able to actually sew it in and still be able to adjust them.

I still might try another brand though, but I'm definitely going to start wearing them over my shoulder pads.

Some cloth tape a few times around the strap and under the buckle should get the job done, too. At the least it'll be a temporary fix, but I would think that it would hold long-term.

I tried this Saturday night before my game and I must say, I was extremely comfortable with it and my shoulders had no play at all when I put them over my shoulder pads. I might start doing this every game now honestly.

^This

Well, without suspenders, my pants fall down. Got another suggestion?

Anyway, I got my easton suspenders. MUCH better. The buckles all have little teeth to keep them from slipping, but just in case, I sewed a line across the inside loop of the adjustment buckle, so I can still adjust them, but they can't come undone anymore.

I guess, I am in the minority here but I found suspenders to be very uncomfortable, under or over shoulders... Anyway, I like my pants low, around the hips and they stay that way as I tie them with an extra skate lace. Yep, don't laugh, an extra long hockey skate lace, like a belt. Works fine for me.

I guess, I am in the minority here but I found suspenders to be very uncomfortable, under or over shoulders... Anyway, I like my pants low, around the hips and they stay that way as I tie them with an extra skate lace. Yep, don't laugh, an extra long hockey skate lace, like a belt. Works fine for me.

They most certainly are uncomfortable... but without them, my pants would be around my ankles. Not really much of a choic in the matter.

I know, this might not be the answer or if it is an expensive one, but maybe try a different brand of pants? I have not tried many but I felt that at least Bauer and Easton felt different to me. I have a fairly old pair of Easton Ultra Lites and just buckle and tie them at the waist.

I just bought my pants recently after doing a lot of trying on different brands and models. These fit better than any others. A belt around the waist is not an option, as they don't stay up without suspenders.

So flame me if ya like, but I thought everyone wore their suspenders under their shoulder pads. Saw a guy at drop in last week who wore 'em over. It stuck w/ me and figure it's probably a personal preference thing but am wondering just how many others are "over" guys?

I have always worn them under. I saw an interview with Ovechkin once where he was in the locker room, he was wearing his over his shoulder pads.

Funny thing is, since I have been wearing my Pads over my shoulders, I have been on a points streak. I don't want to change what works now lol.

still don't get it...aren't todays pants to fit snug on the waist without them? As we don't get +1,+2or talls here (Europe) that easy I wear my pants rather 1inch short than using suspenders...so do you use them because of an 'old pants' style...or just to gain length when sizing up..?

still don't get it...aren't todays pats to fit snug on the waist without them? As we don't get +1,+2or talls here (Europe) that easy I wear my pants rather 1inch short than using suspenders...so do you use them because of an 'old pants' style...or just to gain length when sizing up..?

It's all personal preference, just like most of hockey. Some people (like myself) prefer to have their pants not tight around their waste. I keep them loose enough to pull on and off without untying anything and they are held up by suspenders. Just the way I like it.

So after reading all the replies I decided to wear the suspenders over for a few games and some drop-in hockey. I gotta say that I like it. My shoulder pads wold sometimes creep up. Having the suspenders over them have stopped the creep.

I do attribute the creep to me being at the upper size limit for the pads I'm wearing (read: my belly may be pushing them up a bit). I'm dropping weight so we'll see what happens as I get thinner and go back to wearing the suspenders under the shoulders.

^that.

Most younger guys probably only ever wore a girdle or one of the new girdle style pants ie Reebok /Easton etc so they have no idea why us old guys would need suspenders :P

still don't get it...aren't todays pants to fit snug on the waist without them? As we don't get +1,+2or talls here (Europe) that easy I wear my pants rather 1inch short than using suspenders...so do you use them because of an 'old pants' style...or just to gain length when sizing up..?

Well obviously there are a lot of different waist shapes out there. I used to sometimes use suspenders, as it just kept the pants higher and more secure, but my most recent pair has a double belt. Now that is nice and secure, and I don't suspenders would do anything.

I've always worn suspenders. Just recently I've started wearing pants (1053) that seem secure without them, so I'll try going without. Prior pants were retail models without belts, that definitely needed suspenders. If your pants aren't a secure fit, or if you like to wear them a bit loose at the waist, suspenders are a good idea.