Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The Captain's Thread (discuss C's and changing C's)

When Stevie Y retired Lidstrom was the obvious choice as the new Captain. Zetterberg and Datsyuk wear the "A's" now...but they both seem like very low key, non vocal guys...but who else on that roster could they name? I suppose if they give Suter a 13 year deal the "C" could come with it, but I've never been a fan of the brand new guy being named Captain as well. Maybe eventually, but not right away.

Does it matter that Z and Dats are quiet guys. They lead on the ice, and that's all that matters!!!

Who do you see as the Captain in Motown next season.

Lidstrom wasn't an overly loud guy either, but sometimes you don't need an in your face leader. My guess is that Zetterberg will get it. Detroit always seems to favor the lead by example captain, and Z fits that bill.

Hmm. I would think Datsyuk. Just as an outsider looking in, it seems that the team feeds of him. The same can be about Zetterberg though. I feel it is between those 2 players. Can't go wrong eiter way.

Now that Parise is officially gone...who gets the C there? Kovy? He's under contract til 2025. What about Elias? UFA after next year...but you'd think in light of losing Parise, they might try to lock him up or there is a huge turnoever of that roster coming next season

Elias had the C stripped a few seasons ago.

I did not know that...Mind you, Thornton and Lecavalier once had "C's" taken away when they were younger and they turned out okay as Captains.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't Zetterberg in Detroit. Both he and Datsyuk are well liked, but Zetterberg carries the more vocal lockerroom/leadership presence. Further evidence of how the team views Zetterberg came when Lidstrom listed him first on a couple of occasions when asked about the next captain at his retirement presser.

I did not know that...Mind you, Thornton and Lecavalier once had "C's" taken away when they were younger and they turned out okay as Captains.

I don't recall Thornton ever having the "C" taken off of his jersey.

Didn't he lose the C when he was in Boston....then went to San Jose and was later named Capt there?

Maybe the heat is affecting my memory.

Marleau lost it in SJ...but, for some reason, I thought Thornton lost it in Boston before he was traded to SJ. I guess I'm wrong.

As for the Detroit situation. There have been quotes of other players coming out and saying things along the lines of "Zetterberg will make a great captain." it seems as though he will get it. While I would rather see Datsyuk get the C, I can see why they would pick Hank.

While I would rather see Datsyuk get the C, I can see why they would pick Hank.

Either would be a good choice. I wonder how much communication might play into it? English is not exactly Pavel's strong suit... where as Hank has been speaking since grade school. Not to mention the team is like 30% Swede's. Regardless, I can't wait to see Pavel on 24/7... very funny guy... I would not be surprised if he had a few Bryz "universe" moments.

Either would be a good choice. I wonder how much communication might play into it? English is not exactly Pavel's strong suit... where as Hank has been speaking since grade school. Not to mention the team is like 30% Swede's. Regardless, I can't wait to see Pavel on 24/7... very funny guy... I would not be surprised if he had a few Bryz "universe" moments.

Zetterberg was placed next to Yzerman as a rookie for this very reason. He's been penciled in behind Lidstrom since his first day with the club.

I don't think there's much question about it in Detroit; Zetterburg will be their next captain.

I don't think Datsyuk's English skills really are a factor at all...but his future with the team is much more of a question mark and he's said in the past that he prefers to play without the pressure/expectations that come along with the "C."

I don't know that much about the situation in New Jersey, but I would guess that they'll go without a captain...add a third assistant this year and re-evaulate next year. Maybe Larsson or Henrique...Salvadore seems well-respected if they don't want to put the pressure on one of the young guys.

If they want a guy to wear the "C" this year, Kovalchuk seems like the obvious choice to me. I've been impressed with his commitment to two-way play and working within the system in NJ. You can't question his work ethic or drive. I think he's still got a ways to go to get completely comfortable there, but he seems like the guy if Devil's management feels they need a captain this year.

In Detroit I see 2 guys in the running Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Either one would be a great choice. As for New Jersey I can see them going a few different ways. They could give the C to Elias as he has been captain before and is a UFA next year. I think they lock him up for him to be a devil for life. I also think they could give it to Salvador as he had a great playoff run and he leads that D and plays a solid game. They could give it to Zajac as he had been a solid player for years. But I believe Kovalchuk will be the next NJ captain. He has become a real leader and a 2 way player and a team guy. He has really bought into being a devil and believe he will lead the devils to a cup one day.

Colorado just named Landeskog captain. Interesting move but they have had decent luck with young captains in the past.

Youngest captain in the history of the NHL.

Question for the guys .. Would you have a captain who shows leadership and courage by example on the ice ?? Or a leader who's more vocal in the room ? Personally I'd have a leader on the ice firing everyone up and vocal at the same time

Question for the guys .. Would you have a captain who shows leadership and courage by example on the ice ?? Or a leader who's more vocal in the room ? Personally I'd have a leader on the ice firing everyone up and vocal at the same time

It all depends on the locker room. Some guys don't respond to the ra-ra type leaders, where other guys need someone like that to get motivated. It's a case by case situation for sure.

There are always a group of guys that lead in any locker room, it's never just one guy. Even if you have a lead by example type of captain, there is generally someone there that is going to be more vocal. It's a major part of building a team.

I've always liked a Captain who leads by example on the ice and doesn't say to much in the locker room. That way when he stands up to speak you know he has something damn important to say and you better listen up. Leave all the "rah-rah" stuff to the other team leaders.