Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

photo_zps22411c83.jpg

Here's a pic of the bolt attachment from the inside. It lays flat and doesnt really protrude and is covered by a decent amount of foam then the liner. Doesn't look like a shot in this location would damage you any more than a shot in a area without the bolt. The anchor sits pretty flush so even if there were no foam over it, it shouldn't dig into the skin.

It did not dig in at all. It caused a blunt force trauma which has me looking like I have an ankle, and then a mini-me ankle, almost 4 weeks after the fact. Crazy thing is, it did not even bruise that badly right after. I have seen other guys' feet aftr taking shots to the skate, and they have huge masses of black and blue. My black and blue was minimal, but I got a huge knot between bone and skin.

All I am saying is, put something over the bolt- either a Shot blocker, skate fender, shin guard, custom protective extension coming off of a shin, whatever. And if no one does, then we will see more of this. It was a random play. I was forechecking and as I closed in, the puck carrier fired a cross ice pass right off my inner ankle. So, maybe we will not see a ton of pucks hitting this part of the skate, but when we do, the bolt will break bone if the shot or pass is hard. This was not a hard pass, from a guy who is a good skater, but is skinny and a bit weak otherwise.

As much as I loathe them, I am wearing my SkateFenders again. Thinking about getting Shot Blockers as these are not ergonomic/ kinesio friendly/ anatomical at all. I got the biggest ones- the Pro Full Plus, and they just get in the way of natural motion.

Is it possibly more damaging due to the raised portion concentrating the pressure into a smaller point? Almost acting like a nail, even through that pressure. Plus, I can see that plastic not absorbing as much of the impulse as the softer body of the boot next to it.

Alot of the energy must have been transferred into the bolt, which acted as a battering ram.

Edited by Cosmic

Just the fact of the area of applied pressure being smaller makes its effect more damaging, from a simple physics explanation...essentially, yeah, it's like a battering ram.

Just the fact of the area of applied pressure being smaller makes its effect more damaging, from a simple physics explanation...essentially, yeah, it's like a battering ram.

Yea, funny thing (well, not sure if funny is the right word). For the first week or two after I got hit, I did not realize that it was the bolt that got me. I called IW and spoke with Chase, and described to him that I got this huge knot from a soft pass, described the area, and asked essentially "What the heck?" I mean, I had gotten hit by a much harder pass on my instep previously, and that did not leave a mark or anything. It stung, but the adrenaline in the moment just took the pain away and had me thinking more to the effect of, "Uh oh, is this gonna swell up and not let me put my skate on next game?" Anyway, the much harder pass off my boot left no problem whatsoever.

So, when I talked to Chase, he asked if it was the bolt that got me. I explained that I was not even aware of this bolt= I mean, I knew there was a screw for the tendon guard, but I never put it together that this could act as a weapon against me. So, I put the boot on, and low and behold, and exact alignment from bolt to where the knot has formed. So yea, had I known that this could be an issue, I probably would have mitigated it and not gone out naked for the last 30 or so skates. There is one skate fender, the little mini one, that sits right on top of this bolt. And then my monster fender covers this area, as well as the rest of my foot, but it is just so uncomfortable and bulky. So, I need to figure out the next step. I hope and assume my ankle will make full recovery. The knot has definitely gotten smaller since 4 weeks ago, not sure if it has gotten smaller in the last week though.

I read through most of this topic but might have missed this. I have a chance to pick up a used pair of makos for my son. Problem is they are with friends who are out of town. They are size 6.5 and I can't find that size in any of the shops to try them for size. He is coming from bauer supreme one.8 and if we went with the same skate for his next pair we would go 6.5. How do these fit compared to bauer supremes as far as length goes? I know the fit of the boot is different and can't tell the final fit until it is baked but willing to try it out if I can be pretty sure the length will be right. Any insights would be appreciated.

I wear an 8 in Bauer and my makos are an 8. Hockey monkey might still have some inventory left.

Thanks. Yeah I can find the size online but the used ones I can get are in super condition with lots of steel left so for a ten year old who will only wear them for 8-10 months max I don't really want to drop 4 bills. at worst i replace the steel at christmas time.

Thanks. Yeah I can find the size online but the used ones I can get are in super condition with lots of steel left so for a ten year old who will only wear them for 8-10 months max I don't really want to drop 4 bills. at worst i replace the steel at christmas time.

Your 10 yr old will get a size 6.5??? Holy crap. My 9 yr old is still in youth. Yours must be a giant. Congrats!

He turns 11 later this year but he is quite tall with big hands and feet. He would probably be a perfect 6 but we like to leave a little room for growth. Am hoping with the customizable fit with these any negative space with the extra half size will be minimized. Only thing that sucks is we are now in senior sizes and prices for a kid. Ouch.

Edited by chromechaser

He turns 11 later this year but he is quite tall with big hands and feet. He would probably be a perfect 6 but we like to leave a little room for growth. Am hoping with the customizable fit with these any negative space with the extra half size will be minimized. Only thing that sucks is we are now in senior sizes and prices for a kid. Ouch.

Yes, I was so happy to get one more skate in youth for him. I was prepared to have to go to Jr this last time. I am dreading the day having to buy SR skates for him. OTOH, he's defense and some size would be a nice thing. Sa lavie.

This is crazy, but you 10 yr old will be wearing the same size Mako as I do.

Anyway, to your point. Of any skate, to go a 1/2 size bigger to allow for some growth, I would think the Mako would be the best. As you point out, the moldability will make it the closest fit of any 1/2 size big skate. Further, the old MLXs (precursor to the Mako) only came in full sizes. I almost got my hand on one of the last pairs of MLXs in size 7, and they came with an insert for the toe cap to fill the space for people that should have a 6.5. So, with a bit of growth ahead of him, he should be good.

I saw them today and they look real nice. Tongue looks good and they may feel a tad stiffer than the original ones.

Has this been confirmed? Is it really stiffer?

Lately my mako has being hurting my ankle on left foot.. I checked today and found out the ankle padding was fully flat to the side wall. I check my other foot and the ankle padding is not far off from being totally flat to the wall as well.

I've did some research on this issue, but as I'm from Australia I'm not quite sure what to do. I've only had the skates for around 4 month with about 25 skates (2hours each time). Has anyone gone straight to Easton and what was the outcome? I plan to take it to the place I bought it (skaters network) in Sydney tommolo to see what can be done. Worst case scenario I will go back to bauer skate as I feel the quality of Easton skates are just a bit shocking..

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks heaps as I'm pretty frustrated to what to do..

The easiest thing to do is to give them a call and see what happens, they might help you since youre just over a month warranty, dont delay. Hopefully they can replace them for you with the new Mako 2 which supposedly has upgraded and more ankle padding....

Anybody attended one of the Easten Ranger Camp session where you can demo the Mako II and new synergy stick?

I did. Very impressed with skate and stick. Didn't like the gloves at all, the backhand liner pad prevented airflow, very stuffy.

Update on this, I took my Mako Skate back to the shop I bought it from..

They felt the ankle padding and immediately could tell the padding had collapsed to no ankle support at all, the other foot was close to being this bad as well!

Skaters Network in Sydney is biggest Skate shop here and their service is always on the top, they replaced me with a Mako II which very lucky happen to be my size (which was their only pair they received, stock is coming end of this month)

Initial thoughts on Mako II compare with Mako, had them baked straight away and once I put my foot in I can feel the padding and tongue is a lot thicker compared with Mako. Fitting is exactly the same but padding material has definitely improved from the first Mako and the new thicker tongue is even more comfortable as well! :)

10406839_10152133014291120_3491983224780

• Like 1

I think the extra stiffness is in the heel lock section, a higher quality composite is used to prevent the possible breakdown that happened to heavier skaters in the Mako 1's.

You probably won't notice it as 'stiffer' but the 2's will keep their original stiffness better than the 1's for heavier users.

That's my understanding of it.

I searched through the thread, but couldnt find a definite answer: Does the LS edge holder line up perfectly with the cxn holder? Im trying out a pair of APX2's and its cheaper for me to just try out the skate with a cxn holder than getting the steel profiled.

And does anyone know when replacement extendon guards will be available? If theyre cheap enough, Id like to get a mako II guard to slap on there to eliminate some of the orange overload.

I did. Very impressed with skate and stick. Didn't like the gloves at all, the backhand liner pad prevented airflow, very stuffy.

Did you try on the Synergy HSX and/or the Synergy 80s? I am interested in the 80s, and curious if you got a feel for the airflow in these (the Synergy 80s).

And yea those Mako II skates look so nice- minor improvements, maybe, but areas that were in dire need (ankle padding, tongue, heel lock, one tool adjustment, better moistrue wicking- lol 5 "minor" adjustments sure seems to be adding up). Can't wai til they go on clearance so I can pick me up a pair. Can't really justify that purchase as of right now, as I just got my Makos in December 2013, and I actually think I got a good pair (aside from the Mako bumps/ chafing, which I mitigate with gel sleeves, the boots seems to be holding up brilliantly).

Edited by Cosmic

I searched through the thread, but couldnt find a definite answer: Does the LS edge holder line up perfectly with the cxn holder? Im trying out a pair of APX2's and its cheaper for me to just try out the skate with a cxn holder than getting the steel profiled.

And does anyone know when replacement extendon guards will be available? If theyre cheap enough, Id like to get a mako II guard to slap on there to eliminate some of the orange overload.

yah they line up fine

Yes, the holes line up perfectly. Just had some CXNs put on my nexus skates.