Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

V1 of the Makos.

I got a slapshot off the toe yesterday. Squared up and everything. Tried to skate it off for the rest of the game. Pain increased throughout the night, got it checked out in the morning and got some xrays done. Got two hairline fractures off my big toe.

Boots amazing for fit and comfort, but I think im regulating these to shinny hockey... My old bauer XXII's were a tank compared to these.

I just watched the review from IW. It seems like a nice skate, but no mention of weight vs Mako II.

Can anybody compare the pitch of the holder and blade radius to that of Vapors? I'll be trying these on in a few weeks, and I'm going to be a bind if they end up fitting me better than my current Vapors. I'm worried I won't ever be able to deal with the higher pitch of this holder compared to Bauer.

I had the same thoughts going into it for me. Now im totally sold on the holder, and in a bind of what boot I like better (vapor or mako).

If you dont like the pitch, all the holes line up, and its an easy swap if you wanna switch to tuuk. I actually just swapped out the tuuk on a pair of APX2 and im trying them out with the cxn holder.

gWClhbz.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/ifi5y

PM me with any questions. I also have the old tuuk holder and steel from the apx2 if you are interested in buying. I also have the tuuk from my vapor x5.0 that I converted to roller blades.

• Like 1

Quote function not working for me.. but this is @ louierev07

What is it about the CXN holder you like so much? How long did it take to adjust to it?

I may be interested in your holder and steel from your apx2, PM coming your way.

Can you briefly describe the fit from the Vapor vs the Mako? I'm currently in Vapor XXVs, 9D

Some folks really like the aggressive pitch.

FYI, you don't really need to quote the post directly above. Just a helpful tip for future reference.

Quote function not working for me.. but this is @ louierev07

What is it about the CXN holder you like so much? How long did it take to adjust to it?

I may be interested in your holder and steel from your apx2, PM coming your way.

Can you briefly describe the fit from the Vapor vs the Mako? I'm currently in Vapor XXVs, 9D

The aggressive pitch maybe took about 2-3 sessions to adjust to. Once I got used to them, I felt like my acceleration was a lot better. I could go from being still to accelerating much faster because the pitch made my body ready to accelerate. I tried going back to tuuk a few times, but I felt way back on my heels. If Mako ever went away I would 100% stick with a forward pitch. Ive gone as far as to waste hours on trying to get my rollerblades to match the pitch that my ice skates have (harder than youd think).

The biggest difference in fit for me was the forefoot area is wider. I actually like the fit of the vapors a lot, but I have to do a lot of work to that area so make it fit right (used to get numb toes). The heel maybe is a tad wider than the vapor, but you can squeeze the boot to get better heel lock if its a problem your having. Its hard to say which boot is deeper - the mako completely grips your foot, while the vapor you have to pull in the sides (if that makes any sense) so I would say they are about the same. The Mako is a very different fit and feel than any other skate Ive tried on - so they are really hard to compare.

The vapor is definitely stiffer, and I'm still trying to figure out how tight I can tie the Mako without getting pain, but while maintaining stiffness.

Going from a 7.5D Vapor x5.0 to a 7.5D Mako, I would say the Mako is a very tiny bit smaller (length wise).

Thank you for that description. I often find I get toe pain with my Vapors and what I call "foot ache" because they just justttt a touch too tight, esp on my right foot. My right pinky toe has also developed a monster callous from years of the toebox rubbing on it a bit too much. However, I've only ever tried on Supremes (too wide) and CCM (waaay too wide) so I defaulted to Vapor.

Volume of the skate feels ok as the foot ache seems to come more on the sides, mid foot and fore foot. Heel lock... Is pretty darn good, it does slip a little.

Def excited for the mako II/m8, but I am apprehensive of the pitch. Esp b/c I play roller, too .. and as you know you end up with a fairly long/flat pitch. I skated for 3 months straight on my roller's and went back to my Vapors. First step on the ice I almost face planted because the pitch felt so extreme. Took me an entire 2 skates to get used to it again. Yikes.

I'm less worried about the pitch but curious of durability of the m8. Went to my LHS and the kid had no idea on how to fit the sites and tried to get me into a pair of RBZ when I'm complaining about how I need a less wide skate. I have a hockey monkey about 2hrs away from me this might be the road I need to take.

I'm less worried about the pitch but curious of durability of the m8. Went to my LHS and the kid had no idea on how to fit the sites and tried to get me into a pair of RBZ when I'm complaining about how I need a less wide skate. I have a hockey monkey about 2hrs away from me this might be the road I need to take.

Been in m8's for about 2 months (2-3 games/week) and they're still going strong. Coming from a D width one95 and one.9, fit easily into a D width m8 of same numbered size. The boot wraps very well and it's the best fitting skate I've been in because of that.

Thank you for that description. I often find I get toe pain with my Vapors and what I call "foot ache" because they just justttt a touch too tight, esp on my right foot. My right pinky toe has also developed a monster callous from years of the toebox rubbing on it a bit too much. However, I've only ever tried on Supremes (too wide) and CCM (waaay too wide) so I defaulted to Vapor.

Volume of the skate feels ok as the foot ache seems to come more on the sides, mid foot and fore foot. Heel lock... Is pretty darn good, it does slip a little.

Def excited for the mako II/m8, but I am apprehensive of the pitch. Esp b/c I play roller, too .. and as you know you end up with a fairly long/flat pitch. I skated for 3 months straight on my roller's and went back to my Vapors. First step on the ice I almost face planted because the pitch felt so extreme. Took me an entire 2 skates to get used to it again. Yikes.

My experience going from roller to ice was the opposite to what you're expecting here. I had Cobra holders, with a long radius (11' I think) and aggressive pitch, and that made going from ice to roller much smoother for me. It's the radius (9' still feels too short for me) that felt strange compared to being on 4 wheels. Now I can't go back to stock Tuuk pitch or radius without noticing a lot of skips in my contact with the ice. You may like the CXN more than you're assuming now.

what is the bake time for this skate?

do i set the oven for 200 and when it reaches that turn it off when i put the skates in?

or put both in and literally bake them w/o turning the oven off for up to 16 minutes?

what is the bake time for this skate?

do i set the oven for 200 and when it reaches that turn it off when i put the skates in?

or put both in and literally bake them w/o turning the oven off for up to 16 minutes?

Take them to a store and have it done properly.

My experience going from roller to ice was the opposite to what you're expecting here. I had Cobra holders, with a long radius (11' I think) and aggressive pitch, and that made going from ice to roller much smoother for me. It's the radius (9' still feels too short for me) that felt strange compared to being on 4 wheels. Now I can't go back to stock Tuuk pitch or radius without noticing a lot of skips in my contact with the ice. You may like the CXN more than you're assuming now.

Yeah I think the stock radius for Vapors is 9' so what really messed me up was going from roller back to ice again, because my roller's have a super long radius in comparison. I think the radius of the mako blade and Vapor blade is the same no? Just different pitch angles I thought.

Been in m8's for about 2 months (2-3 games/week) and they're still going strong. Coming from a D width one95 and one.9, fit easily into a D width m8 of same numbered size. The boot wraps very well and it's the best fitting skate I've been in because of that.

Do you think somebody who wears Vapors would find these too wide then?

Yes, I think Mako and Vapor both have 9' radius. Isn't Bauer doing something with 10' now too?

I just found that with my Cobra holders and Graf's stock steel, which I think is an 11' radius, my skating was much better. I didn't feel I lost quickness on the longer edge and now that I know what radiusing does I'd maybe try something even longer, but with the background in roller hockey first, it makes sense to me why a longer radius can feel much better: we're used to working foot quickness without the help of a smaller arc to swish through stride by stride.

Yes, I think Mako and Vapor both have 9' radius. Isn't Bauer doing something with 10' now too?

I just found that with my Cobra holders and Graf's stock steel, which I think is an 11' radius, my skating was much better. I didn't feel I lost quickness on the longer edge and now that I know what radiusing does I'd maybe try something even longer, but with the background in roller hockey first, it makes sense to me why a longer radius can feel much better: we're used to working foot quickness without the help of a smaller arc to swish through stride by stride.

LS2 and LS3 are 10'.

• Like 1

Is there a website or anybody on here who also knows the pitch angle of each manf's holders? Example, (making this up) Bauer TUUK LSE being 76mm tall in the front, and 82mm tall in the back, etc etc.

I believe that example is correct

Wouldnt skate size factor into it? Im guessing 1/32" on a size 7 skate is very different than on a size 12.

But going by that logic, if someone was using tuuk, and wanted to get the same pitch as mako, a 3mm shim would be needed?

I just installed marsbaldes on my rollerblades for off ice training. I emailed Per, and he said that they used tuuk as a reference point for choosing the pitch of the marsblade. If im trying to get as close to my ice skates as possible for off ice training, should I try out a 3mm shim to see if it feels more like my ice skates?

Wouldnt skate size factor into it? Im guessing 1/32" on a size 7 skate is very different than on a size 12.

But going by that logic, if someone was using tuuk, and wanted to get the same pitch as mako, a 3mm shim would be needed?

I just installed marsbaldes on my rollerblades for off ice training. I emailed Per, and he said that they used tuuk as a reference point for choosing the pitch of the marsblade. If im trying to get as close to my ice skates as possible for off ice training, should I try out a 3mm shim to see if it feels more like my ice skates?

I don't think so (about the skate size making a difference)

DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NEVER PROFILED SKATES BEFORE... THIS IS JUST A GUESS FROM BRIEFLY LOOKING AT BLACKSTONE PROFILING EQUIPMENT ONCE

When I looked at the equipment it appeared to me that there was a pivot point at the center of the blade left to right (actually the center point is measured from the toe of the boot to the heel of the boot). Then offset from that pivot point (in X) was a screw type device that could move (rotating about the pivot point) the point at that offset in Y by the amounts on the knob (I believe they were 1/32nds). So to determine the amount in degrees I think you would have to divide the number of 32nds by the size of the x offset and take the inverse tangent. So I believe a true ROTATION of the skate blade (around that center pivot point) is occurring and therefore the amount of pitch doesn't have anything to do with the skate size. If what I THINK I saw was correct, you would need to know the length of that x offset in order to calculate the amount in degrees (it may be such that 1/32 = 1deg?). I asked what the distance of that x offset was but I didn't get an answer. I have heard (don't know if it's true) that some other companies use millimeters for their profiling equipment instead of 32nds.

I would love for someone who actually knows for certain how it works to correct me if I am wrong, because I would like to know (for real) how it works.

Edited by AfftonDad