Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

No one can pick your size. I ended up with a size I never would have guessed. Since you can't try them on, get the size you think you'll need, plus order one more in the size that might be the alternate. Be sure you can return one without a restocking fee. The most you'll be out is the $15 for return shipping. Worth it to do it that way.

Hey all, I am trying to buy a pair of these, but with no hockey proshop within about 4 hours that carries skates during the summer, I am going to order online. I wear a 11.5 skate (size 13 shoe) but with all the talk of how narrow the boot is, should I go with the standard D or look to a wide EE. I know the baking fixes some of the pressure but I don't want it to be too tight. Is there a way to measure your foot to be sure?

Keep in mind this is a boot that is meant to be fit somewhat snug. I have an E width foot, and after baking, I have no width issues in D width Makos. How snug is your foot in the current Eastons you have?

I like these skates... But do not love them. Which is why im thinking of goinf to x100's. I'll give them a few more skates . May just be superficial though, as im used to flopping tongues in a vapor boot

Keep in mind this is a boot that is meant to be fit somewhat snug. I have an E width foot, and after baking, I have no width issues in D width Makos. How snug is your foot in the current Eastons you have?

Not that snug at all.

• Like 1

Has anyone figured out a permanent fix for the ankle/calf irritation? I've tried spot heating and I've tried the earlier posted method of keeping a lace on it to hold it down.

I'm at a point now where I'm wearing a sleeve over my ankle (an Ezeefit bootie with the bottom cut out of it) where the top of the skate rubs. I still have a mark on my leg a month later despite trying my best to protect it.

BTW I ended up sizing up half a size. Very comfortable skates, now... aside from the spot on my leg.

Try wearing thicker socks, like the Nike elites, I don't know if it will work but its worth a shot

Try wearing thicker socks, like the Nike elites, I don't know if it will work but its worth a shot

Has anyone figured out a permanent fix for the ankle/calf irritation? I've tried spot heating and I've tried the earlier posted method of keeping a lace on it to hold it down.

I'm at a point now where I'm wearing a sleeve over my ankle (an Ezeefit bootie with the bottom cut out of it) where the top of the skate rubs. I still have a mark on my leg a month later despite trying my best to protect it.

BTW I ended up sizing up half a size. Very comfortable skates, now... aside from the spot on my leg.

Heat the entire ankle area and then tie the skates making sure that the tightness is consisistent all the way up the eyelets. The problem you're most likely having is that the top eyelets are pulling tighter/closer together than those below it, causing the top of the boot to turn in and abrade your ankle.

I'm wearing the thin light blue/grey Easton socks they gave me (free) when I bought the skates. Easily the thinnest socks I've ever worn. I like them a lot, honestly.

Heat the entire ankle area and then tie the skates making sure that the tightness is consisistent all the way up the eyelets. The problem you're most likely having is that the top eyelets are pulling tighter/closer together than those below it, causing the top of the boot to turn in and abrade your ankle.

Thanks, good tip. Will try it. I noticed the abrasion is a lot less noticeable if I don't give my laces that last hard tug before tying the knot (which I had gotten used to doing due to wearing skates that were far too big for me for so long). In fact I noticed that I generally don't have to tie my laces all that tight anymore, due to the way the boot wraps around my foot so well.

They still aren't perfect but they're by far the best fitting skates I've ever worn (and the first to not have heel lock issues with my right foot).

I had this problem with my left skate and the above advice fixed it. I re-baked the skate and tied it up, but left the top two eyelets fairly loose (really just made sure not to over-tighten them). I also pushed the offending part of the boot out with my finger while it was still on my foot. The skate has been perfect since then.

I had spot heated it and tied it down, but eventually ended up crazy glueing elite hockey gel pads to the area, but it still does irritate.. just enough to be of annoyance

Finally got me a pair. I was previous wearing Bauer Supreme One70 in 9.5D with the issue of my right big toe being mushed after being in them for a while. I stuck with the 9.5D when purchasing my Makos and they actually feel more comfortable. As mentioned before, these skates are night and day when it comes to pre-bake and post-bake fits. I got them baked at my local Total Hockey (for free!) last Friday and played my first game in them last night. No problems. I'll try to post a review in mid-fall but just had to give my first experience.

got them baked at my local Total Hockey (for free!)

Total Hockey does not charge for skate bake/boot punches, eyelets and rivets (those are within reason) in any of their locations, regardless of where you bought the skate from.

Carry on.

Nah, hell, I didn't know til I started working for them.

It's crazy - all of the high-margin service items that stores make very good money on, we give away to customers. Very different business model.

Nah, hell, I didn't know til I started working for them.

It's crazy - all of the high-margin service items that stores make very good money on, we give away to customers. Very different business model.

Keeps people coming back, I guess!

I was thinking of getting my Makos profiled. IIRC they are profiled out of the box to 9', and the holders have a pretty significant forward lean to them. Since I'm not the best skater, I was thinking of having them done to 10' (a bit closer to what I'm used to, I was in RBK8k and Nexus200 before this, both on stock steel - but I don't want to make big changes all at the same time) and with a slightly negative pitch so I'm not quite as on my toes (again I don't want to make a huge change, but just a small step down from them being so aggressive).

I'm just considering tinkering a bit to get a bit more comfortable on them. Thoughts?

Keeps people coming back, I guess!

I was thinking of getting my Makos profiled. IIRC they are profiled out of the box to 9', and the holders have a pretty significant forward lean to them. Since I'm not the best skater, I was thinking of having them done to 10' (a bit closer to what I'm used to, I was in RBK8k and Nexus200 before this, both on stock steel - but I don't want to make big changes all at the same time) and with a slightly negative pitch so I'm not quite as on my toes (again I don't want to make a huge change, but just a small step down from them being so aggressive).

I'm just considering tinkering a bit to get a bit more comfortable on them. Thoughts?

Since they took more metal off the front to get pitch, it's simple just to take metal off the rear to neutralize it. There still is pitch from the higher rear tower but at least profiling can take 1 degree off. If after you skate on them you still feel too far forward, you can put a front lift in.

Since they took more metal off the front to get pitch, it's simple just to take metal off the rear to neutralize it. There still is pitch from the higher rear tower but at least profiling can take 1 degree off. If after you skate on them you still feel too far forward, you can put a front lift in.

Yup, small changes. Going to a 9' radius and significant forward pitch was too big of a jump for me, I think. A couple small adjustments and we'll see where I'm at with that. Thanks.

Hi everybody,

I'm thinking about change my old Vapor X40 and I tried already these Mako skates and in the shop it feels really good... We only have the double E in Switzerland and not the D. There's a lot of difference ? people who tried both, wiches one you took ?

Hi everybody,

I'm thinking about change my old Vapor X40 and I tried already these Mako skates and in the shop it feels really good... We only have the double E in Switzerland and not the D. There's a lot of difference ? people who tried both, wiches one you took ?

Interesting, I wonder if they are really EE or if they have a different Euro sizing.

Interesting, I wonder if they are really EE or if they have a different Euro sizing.

Yeah I don't know because in Switzerland we don't have a lot of importation from Easton... only a shop call Chip Sport. Others one have only Reebok, Bauer or CCM....

Whatever I feel perfect in these skates but I'm afraid of the result on the ice ... ! Lol

Same sizing, the availability for Easton products in Europe is just really bad.

Mako skates come in EE and D here which is surprising since the RS' are available only in EE, sticks are pretty much only available in the E3 pattern, Mako protective isn't yet available etc.