Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Do you think a tongue replacement to a white felt would effect the fit negatively?

For anyone with volume issues, yes.

Love, love, love the skates....its insane how tight you can turn and the overall range of motion is nuts!!! My only issue is I am having arch pain, has anyone had luck pinpoint heating the skate to try and adjust that way or would buying Super Feet be the way to go?? I would much rather buy new foot beds but by the same token I dont really want to fool with the way the skate fits right now with the stock beds in them.

Somewhere in this 42 page topic I seem to remember someone had heated the arch area with a heat gun to resolve a arch-fit issue.

• Like 1

Somewhere in this 42 page topic I seem to remember someone had heated the arch area with a heat gun to resolve a arch-fit issue.

Me. Spot heating and pushing out the arch makes a world of difference.

Love, love, love the skates....its insane how tight you can turn and the overall range of motion is nuts!!! My only issue is I am having arch pain, has anyone had luck pinpoint heating the skate to try and adjust that way or would buying Super Feet be the way to go?? I would much rather buy new foot beds but by the same token I dont really want to fool with the way the skate fits right now with the stock beds in them.

MLX and Scott Van Horne have videos on how to do this on YouTube too.

I contacted Easton for an update and the steel is "delivering this coming week".

Everything below this line is personal opinion and not the result of any comments from anyone at Easton.

As for the comparison to Bauer and their new holder/steel, I think it's an apple/orange type of situation. A big part of Bauer's new holder is that they want people to buy more replacement steel. That's obviously not the case with Easton and their new holder. Ideally, they would have had the steel ready to go when the skates shipped, but I think it was more important to get the skate to market than to hold it for replacement steel. Bear in mind that 99% (or more) or the people that bought the skates wouldn't have any need for replacement steel prior to it shipping. There is always the exception to the rule and more often than not, those exceptions happen to be members here. It's something of a point of pride with us.

I contacted Easton for an update and the steel is "delivering this coming week".

Yah i've been hearing that for a month. I'm going ahead with the Tuuk/LS3 EDGE replacement. I got it for free so no cash out of my pocket. Hopefully the replacement goes smoothly and i'm happy with the results.

Edited by DigiV

Everything below this line is personal opinion and not the result of any comments from anyone at Easton.

As for the comparison to Bauer and their new holder/steel, I think it's an apple/orange type of situation. A big part of Bauer's new holder is that they want people to buy more replacement steel. That's obviously not the case with Easton and their new holder. Ideally, they would have had the steel ready to go when the skates shipped, but I think it was more important to get the skate to market than to hold it for replacement steel. Bear in mind that 99% (or more) or the people that bought the skates wouldn't have any need for replacement steel prior to it shipping. There is always the exception to the rule and more often than not, those exceptions happen to be members here. It's something of a point of pride with us.

I agree 100%. None of my customers who have bought the skate are whining that the steel is not here yet.

i picked the makos up on their release date in march. ive had the problems with my ankles too. like mentioned above i just focused on more forward lean and i also rolled out the edges of my skates. here are some photos of what i did. i heated the ankle portion up with a hairdryer for about 5 minutes and then i ran an old lace through the vent in the footbed, tighed a knot on it and then pulled the lace up over the ankle. i put them in the freezer like someone suggested earlier too. now after hockey when i air my stuff out i just run the lace setup back through the footbed vent just to keep the roll there. it has worked so far.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii549/k_mack289/mako10.jpg

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii549/k_mack289/mako9.jpg

also, regarding durability of the skates. during my very first game in the skates, in the first period i deflected a clearing by the oppsoing team. hit my holder at i'd say a 45 degree angle and i just had a bad feeling about the contact. got on the bench and checked my holder to see this! i played the rest of the game like this. the next day i go into the pro shop and they put a new holder on for me no questions asked. no problems since.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii549/k_mack289/mako8.jpg

Yah i've been hearing that for a month.

I don't believe the person that responded is willing to tarnish his reputation over something like a ship date. Delivering this coming week should mean it is already on the trucks.

Any tips on what temperature setting to use on the heat gun?

I would use it on the lower setting. I used a hair dryer on high to roll out the edges of mine, and the hair dryer worked just fine.

According to Easton's online dealer ordering page, there are CXN runners in stock right now available for order. Not tons, but some of most sizes other than 11 and 12.

Not surprisingly, the protection is not great. Got hit right on the ankle on June 8th and there is still bruising.

Sometimes it just comes down to luck as no skate is going to be bulletproof. Case in point, broke my foot on a hard pass wearing TotalOne's, which just might be the most protective skate out there.

I've got a pair incoming this week from Easton, and have been chomping at the bit to try these out. Any issues with these being on the narrow side? I use EE Bauers, and went with 8EE in the Makos.

I generally wear EE Bauers, and after molding D Makos I have no issue. Sometimes it's a tight squeeze getting them in but no fit issues.

I would use it on the lower setting. I used a hair dryer on high to roll out the edges of mine, and the hair dryer worked just fine.

I am getting a fluid filled sore spot on the outside of one ankle from the top of the boot that is troubling me...

Can anyone tell me how you managed to hold the edges in the "rolled out" position after heating it? Do you tie it down somehow and put it in the freezer?

Thx

Edited by pittu

I've got a pair incoming this week from Easton, and have been chomping at the bit to try these out. Any issues with these being on the narrow side? I use EE Bauers, and went with 8EE in the Makos.

I'm a E/EE in the TotalOne. I went with a D in Mako and I wouldn't want to go wider.

I generally wear EE Bauers, and after molding D Makos I have no issue. Sometimes it's a tight squeeze getting them in but no fit issues.

I wear an EE width One100 and tried on a D Mako and was very surprised at the fit, I felt very confident that if I'd had them baked that it would be great width and length wise. The issue for me was the lack of depth in the boot:

photo3_zps694b251d.jpg

I have depth issues with everything except for nexus but they are way too wide.

I fail the pencil test with mako but no lace bite no circulation issues

@pittu check my photos a couple posts above your original question. ive rolled mine out and they are maintaining the roll perfectly. also been focusing on keeping that more athletic forward stance.