Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

@ AfftonDad

Understood now. I talked to the profiler at Pure Hockey that's closest to me.. I explained my situation and he said he could make the runner "more neutral". I didn't say "put on a +0", but when I go in Saturday, I will, and I will make sure we are on the same page. I think I'll have a chance to go for a public skate later on Saturday or Sunday. Would hate to find out in a game that I hate it, although I doubt I will if it's done correctly. Will probably take a few minutes to adjust back to a less aggressive pitch, but I think it will be for the better for me.

Oh, and one aside. Did you find your ES4 steel to be harder/sharper than LS2? I got a 1/2 hollow on my Makos.... Back in November. Haven't had them sharpened since. First few skates I could barely even stop because I was chattering all over the place. Odd because on my LS2, I needed a 1/2 put on my runners every other week. I think I'll have this guy put on a 9/16, although I'm betting I could even get away with a 3/8, since it's been 3 months of having 3-4 skates a week and I'm still getting a pretty good edge.

Oh, and one aside. Did you find your ES4 steel to be harder/sharper than LS2? I got a 1/2 hollow on my Makos.... Back in November. Haven't had them sharpened since. First few skates I could barely even stop because I was chattering all over the place. Odd because on my LS2, I needed a 1/2 put on my runners every other week. I think I'll have this guy put on a 9/16, although I'm betting I could even get away with a 3/8, since it's been 3 months of having 3-4 skates a week and I'm still getting a pretty good edge.

If your question was for me... I've never had LS2. I had U+CLs before my Makos. When I went from CLs to Makos I found I needed to swtich from 95-75 to 90-75. When I went from Makos to VHs (with CXN holders) it was WAY too sharp. I had to switch to 85-75. Scott Van Horne said that was typical of his experience with the Winnipeg Jets players on VHs. They found that the VHs felt sharper and they either dropped to shallower hollows or went to a longer profile to compensate.

@AfftonDad

Yes it was aimed at you, but anybody can answer that has used LS2 and ES4. Okay good I'm not nuts then. I'm not in a FBV hollow, but I'm guessing the same thing would apply for a regular hollow. I'll try the 9/16 and if it's too sharp I'll just dull it down using the plastic edge on the door from the bench.

I'll report back here after I get my profile done. Wish me luck....

I just wanted to post a brief update, because I did try the insole "shim" last night in my skate.

It did actually work a little bit I think. It was slightly uncomfortable as it pushed me toes even closer to the top of the toe box. I used a Dr Shole gel insert and a plain shoe insole insert, which was maybe 2-3mm thick. I may actually try removing the gel insert and putting in another thin insole, possible glue them together to see if that is more comfortable. I'd like to avoid touching my steel if possible...

Edit : update 2. Skated again last night with the insole & gel insert. I think it's too much material in the skate for me, because my left toes all went numb. Definitely going to try the two insole approach next, and if that isn't working, profile @ pure hockey.

Edited by z1ggy

Second time around using the Mako 1's.

First experience was that i had horrible mako bumps from the skates along with a bad profile/sharpen. Not quite sure happened. Fit was amazing though in the rest of the boot.

Bad experience with the bumps, so they were sold.

Second experience I've read more on these forums and re-bought a pair from hockey supremacy. I rebaked and got that fit perfect. However still mako bumps. I took the extendon off and use a heat gun to heat up that back areas to mushroom them out. I also used a softball and wedged it so the shape would be maintained.

However when putting the extendon guard it wanted to pull in the back part from being widened, unfortunately. To combat this I bought 2 gel bunga ankle wraps and now I am golden. No bumps.

I didn't change the stock profile and it is a 9ft, and got them sharpened to a 5/8" radius.

Second time around using the Mako 1's.

First experience was that i had horrible mako bumps from the skates along with a bad profile/sharpen. Not quite sure happened. Fit was amazing though in the rest of the boot.

Bad experience with the bumps, so they were sold.

Second experience I've read more on these forums and re-bought a pair from hockey supremacy. I rebaked and got that fit perfect. However still mako bumps. I took the extendon off and use a heat gun to heat up that back areas to mushroom them out. I also used a softball and wedged it so the shape would be maintained.

However when putting the extendon guard it wanted to pull in the back part from being widened, unfortunately. To combat this I bought 2 gel bunga ankle wraps and now I am golden. No bumps.

I didn't change the stock profile and it is a 9ft, and got them sharpened to a 5/8" radius.

Yeah, no matter what I tried I always had that issue. Still use the neoprene sleeve on my leg. I don't notice it and it takes 3 seconds to put on... well worth the effort to have skates that don't hurt my feet!

Glad they fixed that in the Mako II.. will probably pick up a pair when they go on clearance.

Yeah, no matter what I tried I always had that issue. Still use the neoprene sleeve on my leg. I don't notice it and it takes 3 seconds to put on... well worth the effort to have skates that don't hurt my feet!

Glad they fixed that in the Mako II.. will probably pick up a pair when they go on clearance.

My kid still got them with the M8s (Mako II design). Rolled it out though and I guess he built up callouses because it went away.

For what it's worth, I recently got in a pair of mako 2's and I have the bumps as well. I never had the first gen, so I can't say whether these are better or worse in that regard...

Still love the skates though once I got used to the pitch. BTW, I don't know if I got an odd set, but mine were at an 11' radius out of the box according to the local hockey monkey. I stuck with that, but it still took a skate or two to get used to the pitch. Coming from CCMs.

I am in Mako 2; no bumps or problems whatsoever. When I baked the skates, the toe cap seemed to come apart "a bit" (maybe 1/16 of an inch or something like that) from the rest of the boot, but no functional issues as a result. I am hoping this is just a cosmetic issue and nothing more, but time will tell. I showed it to Jake from Jake's at El Segundo and he said I should be fine. Another guy I know who is an instructor at a rink in LA said it was a defect and I ought to try to exchange. I could not exchange due to inventory and going overseas.

Anyway, in Mako 1, I got the Mako bumps pretty bad first time I skated in them, and just used the EZEE Fit Neoprene sleeve and was fine after. Ideally though, I would always prefer not to have anything on my feet aside from skates and socks, so I am glad to have gotten out of the sleeve and the Mako 1s.

Edited by Cosmic

Reffed in them first time yesterday. The pitch feels very similar to a graf, but I find the edges are easier to pick. Maybe it was the sharpening and combo with 9ft radius but I'll have to try a 3/4" radius and see if that solves things. Also felt like extra effort was required to skate backwards... again probably because of the profile and radius.

I find that the skates become loose after 10 min or so of skating even with lax laces. Maybe I'll try a rebake and see if that solves things.

Definitely need the wraps on the ankles though. Can't skate without them.

If he is pulling on really cold skates then his ankle can't settle into the padding when he first ties them. Then as his feet warm up the skate a little the padding will soften a little and it will feel looser.

If he is pulling on really cold skates then his ankle can't settle into the padding when he first ties them. Then as his feet warm up the skate a little the padding will soften a little and it will feel looser.

Makes sense, I've never had cold skates before so never really thought about that.

I tried on some Makos today. They only had original Makos in a 6D and a 7D. The 7D was too big, and the I felt the 6 was too small. My toe was all over the cap when standing, but it felt like when I bent my knees my toes moved back far enough that I didn't or was barely touching at all.

I tried another store and tried on a Mako 8 in a 6.5D which I thought would be perfect. But I couldn't feel the cap at all when standing. Has anyone moved from the original Mako to a newer model and found the sizing to be different? Or is it possible that I'm just in between a 6.5 and a 6? With the 6 it was actually one foot that felt a bit cramped against the toe cap, the other foot was just touching.

Also has anyone moved from a Bauer Supreme to the Mako and have any thoughts on size? I'm currently wearing a Supreme 180 in 6.5D and I find the length to be right on. I'm just barely touching the cap when standing.

Edited by leafs88

I tried on some Makos today. They only had original Makos in a 6D and a 7D. The 7D was too big, and the I felt the 6 was too small. My toe was all over the cap when standing, but it felt like when I bent my knees my toes moved back far enough that I didn't or was barely touching at all.

I tried another store and tried on a Mako 8 in a 6.5D which I thought would be perfect. But I couldn't feel the cap at all when standing. Has anyone moved from the original Mako to a newer model and found the sizing to be different? Or is it possible that I'm just in between a 6.5 and a 6? With the 6 it was actually one foot that felt a bit cramped against the toe cap, the other foot was just touching.

Also has anyone moved from a Bauer Supreme to the Mako and have any thoughts on size? I'm currently wearing a Supreme 180 in 6.5D and I find the length to be right on. I'm just barely touching the cap when standing.

Did you have them baked? When baked, the heel will open up and give you more room in the toe. I came from Supremes, 6.5 E (custom) since my foot is too wide for D and too narrow for EE. I wear Mako 6.5 D.

I'm guessing you are probably a 6.5 D in the mako and if you have them baked when you try them, they will be perfect.

When I was trying them on, I couldn't get my foot into the 6.5 or 7 until they were baked. The 7.5 felt good unbaked, but the salesguy was good in suggesting the bake and that they would open up. I know some shops aren't good about baking when trying on, but they open up sooooo much, you need to bake them to know.

Interesting you say that about them becoming loose. My Makos have such good wrap around my foot I almost think I could skate without laces at all!

I'm the same way. sounds like the skate size is too big. When sized correctly these skates fit like a glove and you barely need to tighten the laces.

Did you have them baked? When baked, the heel will open up and give you more room in the toe. I came from Supremes, 6.5 E (custom) since my foot is too wide for D and too narrow for EE. I wear Mako 6.5 D.

I'm guessing you are probably a 6.5 D in the mako and if you have them baked when you try them, they will be perfect.

When I was trying them on, I couldn't get my foot into the 6.5 or 7 until they were baked. The 7.5 felt good unbaked, but the salesguy was good in suggesting the bake and that they would open up. I know some shops aren't good about baking when trying on, but they open up sooooo much, you need to bake them to know.

Well the Mako 8 I tried on in a 6.5D was not baked before I tried them on and I still could not feel the toe cap at all with my toe on either foot. So I figure if I get even more room in the toe it wouldn't be a good fit at all.

I tried on the original Mako in a 6D unbaked first and my left toe was all over the toe cap and my right toe was barely touching. They baked them a bit for me and it did feel better but my left foot was still a bit more cramped that I'm used to.

Well the Mako 8 I tried on in a 6.5D was not baked before I tried them on and I still could not feel the toe cap at all with my toe on either foot. So I figure if I get even more room in the toe it wouldn't be a good fit at all.

I tried on the original Mako in a 6D unbaked first and my left toe was all over the toe cap and my right toe was barely touching. They baked them a bit for me and it did feel better but my left foot was still a bit more cramped that I'm used to.

I wouldn't expec the Mako 8 to fit differently than the Mako II, but have no experience with the 8.

That being said, sounds like 6.5 D is the way to go to me. A bit of room in the 6.5 and toe cramped in 6.0. Not sure what else there is to say. I suppose if the 6Ds weren't baked all the way, they might open up a bit more. Not sure why they wouldn't bake them all the way though. that's the selling point.

Sorry I don't have more to offer.

I wouldn't expec the Mako 8 to fit differently than the Mako II, but have no experience with the 8.

That being said, sounds like 6.5 D is the way to go to me. A bit of room in the 6.5 and toe cramped in 6.0. Not sure what else there is to say. I suppose if the 6Ds weren't baked all the way, they might open up a bit more. Not sure why they wouldn't bake them all the way though. that's the selling point.

Sorry I don't have more to offer.

It was actually the original Mako that I tried on in a 6D. Thanks for the help though. Could the Mako II/8 series fit slightly bigger than the original Mako skate?

To the guy struggling with fit size. Say you are a bit loose in the 6.5, but very snug in the 6.

Here's my advice: Go with the 6's.

1) Mako's can be heated up multiple times. So far I've baked my Mako II's 3 times, and spot heated them maybe 12-15 more additional times to work out minor kinks (I have some pointy feet bones, etc)

2) As long as you aren't pressed for overall skate volume, the boot can also be stretched a bit. It sounds like you're really a 6.25.

I would grab the 6's and go for a public skate. Skate as hard as you can while out there to get a good feel for them, and wear them around the house for a few hours. Walk around in them, etc. If after about 4-6 hours, you still feel really cramped, then bring them to the shop and tell them to give you a a little stretch in the boot. This may reduce volume a bit in some spots, so just be aware of that. Luckily, even if it does, you can spot heat and press out any problem areas.

And no the M8 and MII do not fit differently, I tried both on. I think the M8 were slightly less stiff feeling, and thus a tad more comfortable. I went with the MII though as they are a bit lighter, and I felt overall construction just... Seemed better to me.

To the guy struggling with fit size. Say you are a bit loose in the 6.5, but very snug in the 6.

Here's my advice: Go with the 6's.

1) Mako's can be heated up multiple times. So far I've baked my Mako II's 3 times, and spot heated them maybe 12-15 more additional times to work out minor kinks (I have some pointy feet bones, etc)

2) As long as you aren't pressed for overall skate volume, the boot can also be stretched a bit. It sounds like you're really a 6.25.

I would grab the 6's and go for a public skate. Skate as hard as you can while out there to get a good feel for them, and wear them around the house for a few hours. Walk around in them, etc. If after about 4-6 hours, you still feel really cramped, then bring them to the shop and tell them to give you a a little stretch in the boot. This may reduce volume a bit in some spots, so just be aware of that. Luckily, even if it does, you can spot heat and press out any problem areas.

And no the M8 and MII do not fit differently, I tried both on. I think the M8 were slightly less stiff feeling, and thus a tad more comfortable. I went with the MII though as they are a bit lighter, and I felt overall construction just... Seemed better to me.

Ummm... I'm not sure about this. I don't think the Makos can be stretched. One of the gurus like JR or Jimmy might be able to chime in on this, but I'd hate to get them too small and not be able to stretch them.

On all other points I agree though. Baked mine several times and used the heat gun further. Very moldable skates. In fact, initially when I had a couple local hot spots and contacted Scott at VH about custom skates, he actually encouraged me to "fiddle" with my Makos since they are so moldable. To me, that is a testament to Scott and his character, but also a comment on the level of moldability of the Makos.

Anyway, before buying small, I'd confirm the stretchability.

Yeah confirming is always a good idea, I just don't see why they wouldn't be considering how moldable they are otherwise. On the off chance they aren't able to be stretched, then I may avoid the skate totally. There's nothing worse than having a cramped foot, other than having a skate that's a bit too big and trying to make up for it using thicker socks, etc.

Yeah confirming is always a good idea, I just don't see why they wouldn't be considering how moldable they are otherwise. On the off chance they aren't able to be stretched, then I may avoid the skate totally. There's nothing worse than having a cramped foot, other than having a skate that's a bit too big and trying to make up for it using thicker socks, etc.

A reason they might not be (and perhaps what smcgreg is refering to) is because composite materials are known (and engineered) to have extremely high tensile strength. What that means in every day terms is that composites are very resistant to breaking (or stretching) in the direction of the fibers.

Edited by AfftonDad