Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Well I just checked every store I know about in my area and only found a lone pair of makos in a 7. I'm really looking to snag a pair of makos off of HM. Worse comes to worse I return them for credit. I'm just concerned because I really don't know the type of foot I have.

Now that I recall my second pair of roller skates were missions in a 10.5 ee that fit well minus the length so any shot of me fitting In these

I have access to a riveter, so I use the copper rivet anvil with the rivet remover jig to seat the T nut in place (tough to describe via text). It's a tight fit, so it helps hold the nut in place while tightening. Never had to redrill a hole.

Are you sure they're 8-32 and not 6-32. I've worked with 6-32 T-nuts and even those were slightly bigger than the old rivet holes. You might be able to force 6-32 t-nuts in without drilling if you're not afraid of cracking the outsole, but from my experience there's no way an 8-32 t-nut will fit in an old rivet hole without enlarging it. The 8-32 screw itself fits snugly in the hole, but not the t-nut. BTW 6-32 T-nuts are plenty solid.

I measured a few things for reference: Rivet diameter 4mm. 6-32 T-nut barrel diameter 4.4mm. 8-32 screw diameter 4.1mm. I don't have any 8-32 T-nuts around to measure but they're obviously bigger than 6-32 T-nuts.

Edit: 6-32 screw diameter 3.4mm. Seeing that the 6-32 T-nut barrel is 1mm larger than the 6-32 screw, I would estimate that the 8-32 T-nut barrel is also around 1mm larger or around 5.1mm.

Edited by Larry54

Are you sure they're 8-32 and not 6-32. I've worked with 6-32 T-nuts and even those were slightly bigger than the old rivet holes. You might be able to force 6-32 t-nuts in without drilling if you're not afraid of cracking the outsole, but from my experience there's no way an 8-32 t-nut will fit in an old rivet hole without enlarging it. The 8-32 screw itself fits snugly in the hole, but not the t-nut. BTW 6-32 T-nuts are plenty solid.

I measured a few things for reference: Rivet diameter 4mm. 6-32 T-nut barrel diameter 4.4mm. 8-32 screw diameter 4.1mm. I don't have any 8-32 T-nuts around to measure but they're obviously bigger than 6-32 T-nuts.

Edit: 6-32 screw diameter 3.4mm. Seeing that the 6-32 T-nut barrel is 1mm larger than the 6-32 screw, I would estimate that the 8-32 T-nut barrel is also around 1mm larger or around 5.1mm.

I guess I shouldn't have ordered yet ;)

What size t-nuts and washers?

If you're using dimpled, not fanged... are you talking about weld nuts? If so... 90607A100

Screws: http://www.mcmaster.com/#96710a312/=uup9mv

Nuts: http://www.mcmaster.com/#90607a100/=uup9f0

Washers: http://www.mcmaster.com/#92141a009/=uupc9e

Those washers you picked don't appear to be much bigger than the screw heads. Why did you decide to include (those) washers? (Of course if they end up being 6-32, the need for washers will be even greater). I wish I knew how tough it would be to get a 8-32 OR 6-32 T-nut into the existing hole. I don't want to drill and I don't want to take my holders completely off. I just want to replace them one at a time as they break or come off (they seem to break/come off way more frequently on my VHs than any other skate I've had). I just had a rivet replaced a couple of days ago. Wish I would have had some stuff on hand to experiment with when it came out. Guess I should order some so that when the next rivet inevitably comes out I can give it a try.

Played my first game on my mako's. I am sure glad I baked them, haha

I need to push out the arches on them though, it's a bit too snug and causing pressure on my arches.

all in all though I am loving the skates. It feels effortless to push off and get up to speed with these skates. Only thing I need to work on is my backwards skating and learn where the edges are again.

Those washers you picked don't appear to be much bigger than the screw heads. Why did you decide to include (those) washers? (Of course if they end up being 6-32, the need for washers will be even greater).

Looks like the washers are just fine:

0Q8XmCpm.png

But, since the tee nuts are supposed to be 6-32 and not 8-32, it's kind of irrelevant since I'll have to return all these anyway.

Mcmaster-carr doesn't seem to have bossed weld nuts (non-pronged tee nuts) for 6-32 screws so I'm not sure where to look at this point.

Edited by OptimusReim

Mcmaster-carr doesn't seem to have bossed weld nuts (non-pronged tee nuts) for 6-32 screws so I'm not sure where to look at this point.

Apparently they exist, but finding them in stock may be a problem...

Edited by AfftonDad

haha yup, I'd found both of those pages :)

I'd go with the first of those two because its smaller barrel diameter is barely bigger than a rivet diameter so it might fit into the old rivet hole. And you should look for truss head screws instead of pan head screws because the head diameter is bigger and you wouldn't need washers.

• Like 1

Looks like the washers are just fine:

0Q8XmCpm.png

But, since the tee nuts are supposed to be 6-32 and not 8-32, it's kind of irrelevant since I'll have to return all these anyway.

You can use the pronged T-Nuts and cut off the prongs with wire snips. What little is left of the prongs will be just enough to grab onto the surface and prevent the T-Nut from turning while you're tightening the screw.

You can use the pronged T-Nuts and cut off the prongs with wire snips. What little is left of the prongs will be just enough to grab onto the surface and prevent the T-Nut from turning while you're tightening the screw.

That's a good idea. Just ordered some... now I just need to wait for a rivet to come out. I hope this works without drilling. I'm not about to drill on my skates.

Edited by AfftonDad

Just got my Makos today from Hockey Monkey (yay Black Friday sale!). Very psyched to get them baked and then got on the ice with them, unfortunately I might have to wait until Christmas to do so :(

I'm coming from Vapor X7.0s, I've been a loyal Bauer user from when I was younger and stuck with them after my dozen year hiatus from playing from my late teens through my early 30s. I've always had issues with having a very thin foot with a narrow heel and ankles. Retail skates have just never fit right, so I read a ton about the Makos and talk with a few guys at pick up games that have them and decided to take the plunge when the hit the clearance rack.

I was very pleased with the Mako offerings in protective equipment, I own a pair of M5 shins and I was a big fan of their Mako II sticks. I have a good feeling that the skates are going to be another piece of gear that will make me feel that I've gotten my money's worth. I'm very excited these have a fuller tongue, the thin tongue on the X7.0s never made me feel like my foot was in the skate completely right.

One of the common reviews of the Makos I read was that they feel a lot more flexible than other skates of similar caliber, but they are stiff in the right places, does that seem to be the consensus for those that have used them?

...oh well ....I was as psyched as you to get those skates to test ...but after having done so I'm down to earth again !!

I had absolutely no reason to invest in new skates . as my 2 pairs of S 17 's served me well without any issues ...until I decided last year to follow the description of one mail sharpening business regarding custom profiling ....I filled out the questionnaire and , stupid me , sent all 3 sets of steel I had to be profiled .....without actually knowing what ( in numbers ) was being done to them .

I expected like miracles upon reception but my skating has suffered since then and I did not exactly know why !

.....well , after trying mako and mako II and assuming they'd fit like the S17 plus all the positive hype of about 80plus Msh pages I pulled the trigger and ordered a M8 in 8,5EE ...as I was told by the national distributor that my size mako II was nationwide sold out till march 15 and the M8 would fit the same ...

...so far on theory ....trying makos and makos II I felt like 8,5 was plenty long enough , even 8 should do after baking , but the M8 in 8,5 felt too short ...trying ultra thin easton socks vs my regular hanes crews helped marginally , but not enough!

being stubborn i tried them on ice but it was too much of a difference .....I felt ultra agile , the pitch difference didn't bother me , but I lacked stability , plus my feet hurt due to the shortness and feeling flat footed with the so called ortholite foootbed ...which is imho nothing more than an undefined, shapeless piece of recycled yoguhrt cup.

I have received some blackedge steel for the S17 that I sharpened today and which I will try tomorrow to see if this helps ....

I appreciate any input as :

-what radius is stock S 17 steel vs mako steel ??

-what radius is balckedge steel ?

-what are the differences M8 and mako ?? M8 padding felt very thin !! ...heel lock not sufficient.

-recommendadion for other skates coming from S 17 .....having a thin ankle and wide forefoot !!

- general thoughts about the issue !!

thx alot !!

Edited by x-track

@ CTB

I came from Vapors as well and am in Mako II now. I don't think the Mako II is any less stiff than Vapors. It's hard to compare though because the boot construction is totally different. One tghing though that is very different, is how heat moldable these skates are. They are like puddie when heated up in the oven, but form fit to every bone on your foot when they set.

You won't be disappointed.

@ CTB

I came from Vapors as well and am in Mako II now. I don't think the Mako II is any less stiff than Vapors. It's hard to compare though because the boot construction is totally different. One tghing though that is very different, is how heat moldable these skates are. They are like puddie when heated up in the oven, but form fit to every bone on your foot when they set.

You won't be disappointed.

Got em baked over the weekend, yeah they felt like they would melt down to a puddle or they'd get deformed. Haven't had a chance to skate in them yet but I'm very anxious.

I baked mine twice to get a perfect fit. Heat spot molded them a bunch too in the rear to get the best heel lock I could. I have a fairly narrow and V shaped back of the heel/tendon and the Mako tends to be a bit more rounded.

I absolutely love these skates so far.

Finally got my pair of Step Blacksteel for my Mako IIs from No Icing Sports, with USPS screwing up over the scanning process for the tracking, and Canada Post scrounging to find it in customs before it got to me.

Anyways, got my first game in with them today (I didn't have time to "test" them and my previous set of runners were coincidentally broken from the previous game). They are absolutely fantastic. Profiling and sharpening was spectacular, and I definitely noticed a fair bit more bite and glide, which I'm not sure if its attributed to the coating. Nevertheless, it's a fantastic set of runners, and easily my go-to from now on if I ever get new skates.

Your rivets issues are with your VH Footwear skates not your Makos, correct?

Yeah... the only reason I'm talking about it in this thread is because this is where it is being talked about (sorry about that). I wouldn't really say I have "an issue" with the rivets on my VH skates although they do seem to break and/or come loose a little more frequently than other skates (including Mako's). Someone mentioned in the VH thread that it looked to them that the riveting equipment that they were using at VH was perhaps a little worn out. I don't know if it is that or just something about the boot that causes them to come out a little easier. Since Total Hockey replaces rivets for free, I don't really have an issue other than I'm the kind of person that would like to be able to fix them myself. That's why the possibility of switching to screws as they come out sounds attractive to me. I kind of wish all skate companies would switch to screws.

Is it common for these skates to be hard to get on when trying them on for the first time? I just recieved mine and had to un lace like the first 4 laces to get them on. Normal or bad sign

Edited by crispy92

Yes very normal. Even for the skinny feet guys like me. I struggle sometimes to put them on even after baking them lol.

Good to know. Also do the tongues have any molding properties like the rest of the boot. I think these would fit perfect if the tongue was a bit thinner.

I had them on for maybe 30 mins just sitting down and after taking them off and my fore foot was a bit red.