Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GiancarloSFL

Best Holder

Hey boys, Was looking around for the best skate blade holder and found an article from a few years back stating that Pitch was. But as the industry changes so do products and they have been discontinued. So I ask the question again... What is the best/favorite holder in your opinion and why? Thanks

All depends on what you want to feel. Pitch's biggest draw is the forward lean, but that can be replicated by heel lifts.

Bauer has the LS2 which is generally the stiffest holder out there and the reason why it's preferred by most. Custom + is a bit softer and more neutral pitched (you'll see a lot of older guys on these since they were the most common back then).

RB2 with the stock steel is a bit softer than customer + and the main reason people don't like them. Put in solid steel as opposed to parabolic and you have a customer + holder that just looks a bit odd.

For me, I've gone through Custom+, LS2, and am on RB2 now. I don't really care either way on the holders, as I've gotten used to all of them after wearing them for a game or two. For my 2 cents, LS2's look the best, but not so much better that I'm willing to change mine out.

I'm a big fan of the E-Pro holder on reebok and ccm skates. I was a Bauer skater from my first pair of skates -- with a brief foray into Mission when I was 12 or so -- and wore Bauer Air 90's with TUUK Custom+ and the original LS holder as an official for 13 years. I'm 6'6", and have always had trouble attaining proper knee bend in a Tuuk holder due to the neutral-heel pitch.

When I bought new skates last year, I stayed with Bauer until a pair of 10Ks became available for a steal. I switched, and will never go back to Tuuk. The E-Pro holder is plenty stiff, and I've never had a problem bottoming out in a tight turn. I feel my skating has improved due to the true-neutral stance of the E-Pro -- I can transition backward easier feeling like I'm closer to being on my toes, and I can get a more powerful stride due to the ease of attaining proper knee bend.

Edit: I should note, however, that I'd never had my LS runners profiled, nor heel lifts installed -- I didn't know anything about skates until I discovered this forum.

All depends on what you want to feel. Pitch's biggest draw is the forward lean, but that can be replicated by heel lifts.

Bauer has the LS2 which is generally the stiffest holder out there and the reason why it's preferred by most. Custom + is a bit softer and more neutral pitched (you'll see a lot of older guys on these since they were the most common back then).

RB2 with the stock steel is a bit softer than customer + and the main reason people don't like them. Put in solid steel as opposed to parabolic and you have a customer + holder that just looks a bit odd.

For me, I've gone through Custom+, LS2, and am on RB2 now. I don't really care either way on the holders, as I've gotten used to all of them after wearing them for a game or two. For my 2 cents, LS2's look the best, but not so much better that I'm willing to change mine out.

You mean the adjustable pitch settings, Reverse, neutral and forward. It's a rather soft holder, similar to Custom+.

LS2 if you are big and strong all the way. It would be pretty tough for anyone to ever get me to use anything other than a LS holder at this point.

I am an E-Pro guy... I like the neutral pitch and the stock 9' Rocker.. I feel more agile and good feedback from the ice with these holders.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I've always wondered about this, but isn't the E-Pro the successor to the Koho Excalibur? And if so, I assume the rockers were the same, yes?

Honestly, I don't even know anymore.

Pitch had great steel and concept but it was a tad bit heavy. RBII feels good with standard steel; very similar to C+ but the hardware has to be maintained. I can say I was never a fan of the E-Pro. Graf Cobra is most likely the stiffest, but wasn't a fan of the steel (and hardware can get sloppy.) LS2 is pretty good all-around but I have to pitch it to hell for my liking. Custom+ was a dream to skate on but isn't tall enough.

Yes, the hardware; it is bigger and D-shaped. That's why it's on closeout.

Yes, but like with everything, it's personal preference. Tuuk C+ has a "springy" feel to it, and some may like that, and others don't.

I will personally bite my tongue until I can get a look at the ls3 holder up close as well as the new reebok holder. At least I believe it's rbk thats releasing a new holder. Might be ccm on the rbz skates but im pretty certain it was reebok. For the time being, ls2 all the way my friend!

I see. Does easton still come stock w/ a 9 ft. radius?

Yes

I will personally bite my tongue until I can get a look at the ls3 holder up close as well as the new reebok holder. At least I believe it's rbk thats releasing a new holder. Might be ccm on the rbz skates but im pretty certain it was reebok. For the time being, ls2 all the way my friend!

No such thing as a LS3 holder...it's LS Edge. New holder will be CCM.

FWIW, I consider my self a good skater and play two to three times a week. Average player. I went from 15 plus years in Custom + to Cobra to LS2 in a span of a year. Each time I switched it took a few skates to get used to them. After that my skating is thoughtless and I don't feel that one or the other is any better, they just have different attributes that I liked but don't really affect my skating and or play.

FWIW, I consider my self a good skater and play two to three times a week. Average player. I went from 15 plus years in Custom + to Cobra to LS2 in a span of a year. Each time I switched it took a few skates to get used to them. After that my skating is thoughtless and I don't feel that one or the other is any better, they just have different attributes that I liked but don't really affect my skating and or play.

You are pretty much like most skaters. When they change skates, with different holders, they only need a few outings before their body mechanics adjust to the new ones. I think it's more mental than anything else. A lot of people who say they grew up on Tuuk+ had no problems transitioning to a LS2, even though they are totally different holders.

You mean the adjustable pitch settings, Reverse, neutral and forward. It's a rather soft holder, similar to Custom+.

LS2 if you are big and strong all the way. It would be pretty tough for anyone to ever get me to use anything other than a LS holder at this point.

You're right. Got pitch and cobra confused. My bad.

You are pretty much like most skaters. When they change skates, with different holders, they only need a few outings before their body mechanics adjust to the new ones. I think it's more mental than anything else. A lot of people who say they grew up on Tuuk+ had no problems transitioning to a LS2, even though they are totally different holders.

Hi Jimmy,

I grew up on Custom+ but have used the LS2's for the past 7 years. And even though when you sharpen my skates and profile them with a "neutral" pitch it still doesn't feel the same at Custom +. Would adding a slight toe lift equal out the front and the back? What other things can we do to make them feel equal?

At this point I'm thinking of putting Custom + back on with Graf screws so I can easily remove holder and blade to send my blades out.

Your thoughts?