Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marshy

NHL Season will start on...

The National Hockey League will start its 2004-05 season around January 28th, 2005.

The league has passed out a letter to all 30 venues to allow for merchandise, tickets, and the arena works to be prepped for the press release that will come somewhere between December 9th, 2004 and December 16th, 2004.

I just thought that I would pass this out. It's 99.9% certain that the league will resume play and 100% certain that the league is planning to do this. Barring a train wreck from the NHLPA (they were the ones to give in), the season will start.

I don't like to get folks hopes up and I am too a hockey fan who wants the season to start. I am not here to rain on anyone's parade and I cannot devulge my sources but we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

I heard about this back in October. Honestly, I'll believe it when I see it.

Third time I've heard this date, the first time was in September.

wait so what happens to the players in the european leagues?

Almost all of them have a clause in their contract which states that if the NHL season starts back up, they can leave their European club and come back to the NHL. The only really noteable player (to my knowledge) which does not have this clause and will remain with his European team for the rest of the season is Forsberg, he has already stated that he will remain in Europe with MoDo for the rest of the season, regardless of whether the NHL gets back underway or not.

Exactly, they will leave Europe the day a new CBA is signed. Needless to day that some teams here are scared like hell. In Germany you can only sign 13 non-German players per season. Those teams who have signed 2 or 3 NHL players will not be able to replace them with non-German players and there are no good German players in the market. For example Ingolstadt will loose most of its 1st line.

well hopefully these teams that took on the NHL'ers and gave them the clauses will think twice next time before doing something like this..i mean really this CBA can only be what 4-6 years long..

I'm not as optimistic on the season starting, my start date is 10/03/05

It will be interesting to see the "fan" response in arenas across the league. There should be an organized "backlash" for the first day/night back. :angry:

The league will probably put together some super discount package promo. There will be the usual herd of lemmings foaming at the mouth to throw their money and support back into the game...and I must say, for the kids, the return (when or if it happens) will be a good thing.

But what about the unrepresented "average" fan? We have had no say in the whole matter. As a shareholder/supporter/investor...fans have become an afterthought. Whether it be the NHLPA or the League Head Office...you can almost see them snickering through their press conferences as the try to win the battle for fan support. <_<

It's been said for quite some time...that once they lose the average Canadian hockey fan...they'll be in real trouble. That time is now. Sadly, if this thing falls through this week...they'll be at that point.

I just wish there would/could be a movement to NOT fill the arenas for the first night around the league. :angry:

Let them split the profits at the door...when no one shows up to buy their product.

Let it go longer...most of us are interested in seeing just how many non-hockey market teams in the U.S. will fold...so we can get a team back into Winnipeg, Quebec and Halifax.

NHL in 2005???

So far, the OHL is filling the void for me. It's refreshing to be able to watch players who aren't just going through the motions. B)

cd.

B)

First game I'm at, I'll bring a paper and read it during the game.

Go to a Devils game and you'll fit in. Strangest crowd I've ever seen.

Well I say that, but I'll probably be leaning over the wall and stalker-staring Reba McIntire's hot assistants.

In the TSN article on Doan's comments about the NHLPA "significant proposal" the responses...largely from Canadian readers are pretty interesting.....most of them are NOT in favor of the proposal as it's been touted, and say.."forget it...if the season is lost then so be it. Hold out for the Cap" is general consensus...fix it now and fix it right. Given the years of struggling by Canadian Teams to compete in a US$ driven player market, you can understand where they are coming from.

If the Canadian teams were losing money, I might agree with you. From most accounts, the Canadian teams are all profitable. Not to mention the Canadian $ is stronger now than at any time in recent memory.

If the Canadian teams were losing money, I might agree with you. From most accounts, the Canadian teams are all profitable. Not to mention the Canadian $ is stronger now than at any time in recent memory.

But arn't they taxed to death?

teams are profitable while being junk on the field, old TB Bucs, Royals, Brewers,etc., etc..but they won't be successful..and thankfully owners in Canada appear to want both...

Ottawa was the only Canadian team to lose money.

whats funny about that is the sens are one of the most profitable teams in the league... they just have such a huge debt... at least in the past few years.