Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JGraz15

$150 OPS

Curious as to people's thoughts around $150 price point sticks...are the Bauer Supreme One.7 or the Mako M3 II equivalent to or better than saw the original Synergys and Responses when they first came out (which I believe were around $150 at the time)?

I guess what I am asking is does $150 today buy what it used to? Obviously the new top end sticks perform better than old top end but was wondering about a price baseline. Thanks

If you're gonna spend $150 on a stick I would suggest looking at buying previous years top of the line sticks on clearance.

What he said, there are a bunch on Clearance that are around $170 or less that are pretty good.

Sorry yes I realize the close out factor but was using current models just as an example. My question was more around the build quality and performance from the original $150 Synergy to a currenct year stick at the same price

Sorry yes I realize the close out factor but was using current models just as an example. My question was more around the build quality and performance from the original $150 Synergy to a currenct year stick at the same price

Not adding anything specific here, just seconding the question. I think it's a very good one.

If only I had the money to blow, the sticks I would buy... Until then 50 dollar OPS' and sherwood PMP-7000.

I was under the impression that, due to improvements in technology, you get more bang for your buck at any price level these days.

Lots of guys seem to be answering based on reading the Topic Title, not necessarily the OP's post.

OPS have come a long way since they first came out and a $150 stick now will outperform the older $150 sticks. I had the original Bauer Tri-Flex and that stick was pretty much garbage. Look at the mid-range Bauer sticks now and I'd take any of those over the Tri-Flex.

You also look in the lower price points from guys like Hespeler and more notably, Gear introducing cheap one piece sticks. They sold quite well because everyone wanted a one piece stick but didn't want to pay the steep price tag at introduction.

Lots of guys seem to be answering based on reading the Topic Title, not necessarily the OP's post.

OPS have come a long way since they first came out and a $150 stick now will outperform the older $150 sticks. I had the original Bauer Tri-Flex and that stick was pretty much garbage. Look at the mid-range Bauer sticks now and I'd take any of those over the Tri-Flex.

You also look in the lower price points from guys like Hespeler and more notably, Gear introducing cheap one piece sticks. They sold quite well because everyone wanted a one piece stick but didn't want to pay the steep price tag at introduction.

Funny that you mention those two brands. Both of them are house brands for large retailers.

As for responses not being on topic, that's just laziness.

I would compare the sticks available at the $99 price point since that is the most competitive part of the OPS market. The quality of the early $99 sticks from brands (ex. Hespeler, Gear) are nowhere near the quality/performance of $99 sticks currently available today. Not trying to single out those two companies alone but even the bigger companies came out with pretty mediocre sticks as well.

I remember the Bauer Vapor I sold for $99 as well and compared to a modern day stick I'd say it's the equivalent of a $39.99 Fibreglass/Graphite Powertek composite stick that my LHS sells. Those sticks felt like absolute bricks.

I'm wondering if people just jump in without reading the first post and finding out what the thread's for, and that's why there aren't many responses on point.

I'm wondering if people just jump in without reading the first post and finding out what the thread's for, and that's why there aren't many responses on point.

I didn't have an answer to the OPs question specifically, just figured I'd mention clearance sales :P.

i remember the last $150 stick i bought was the blue/silver/black bauer one75. that thing was stupidly blade heavy. good enough kick, just a tad bit of torquing. since then i've switched to two piece sticks but i'm contemplating making the jump back to $150 OPS sticks.

messing around with the sticks in my LHS, sticks like the new one.7, dt3 are so well balanced and have such good feel nowadays. just handling the stick the only significant difference i can figure is the weight of the sticks compared to high end OPS.

just think about it, warrior has "true-1" construction all the way down to the $99 price point. that would of been unheard of 3-4 years ago.

Curious as to people's thoughts around $150 price point sticks...are the Bauer Supreme One.7 or the Mako M3 II equivalent to or better than saw the original Synergys and Responses when they first came out (which I believe were around $150 at the time)?

I guess what I am asking is does $150 today buy what it used to? Obviously the new top end sticks perform better than old top end but was wondering about a price baseline. Thanks

Honestly it's been so long since I used an original Easton Synergy OPS or a TPS Response, I couldn't tell you with much accuracy how they compare to a current $150 stick, especially in terms of kick and puck feel. I think nostalgia clouds the memory of how good those first few OPS actually were. As for weight and balance, almost all $150 current model sticks are as light or lighter than the original Synergy/Response. As for puck feel and how they kick/shoot, I think the good value $150 current models are comparable, but some are likely not quite as good as you got for the same money 10 years ago.

Here's another way to look at it: Taking into account inflation, what cost you $150 in 2002 would cost you $190 today. When you compare a 2002 Easton Synergy or TPS Response ($150 circa 2002) to a $190 stick today, you can pose a very strong argument that you get a better stick for your dollar today than you did 10 years ago.

Depends on the companies line focus. Most of the sticks that would be comparable to the original OPS would be closer to 175 to 190 now as they were still pretty light sticks, but had different focuses in mind. In that price range you are talking about are the sticks that are characterized as durability sticks with emphasis on leagues that want time out of a stick, but not as much in cost. Quality wise good sticks, but won't be as light as the current high ends or perform for some as well

If you're gonna spend $150 on a stick I would suggest looking at buying previous years top of the line sticks on clearance.

That's why the $150 price point is a dog...you're competing with closeouts and prostocks which are a better spec'd product.

I had this exact same talk with someone in the industry a couple of weeks ago. It's a good price point in Canada, but not in the US.