Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

start_today

NHL player equipment ownership

I've also seen tons of gear from players traded to the Canucks at previous equipment sales. Bags, gloves, pants, shells, you name it!

Shame on them for selling the bags. It's a professional courtesy; the bag can be used by a new player.

The Flames sale had a pair of Cammalleri pants from Montreal. That's the only thing that I've seen that hasn't been Flames gear in the past few years.

Dana Heinz from Pittsburgh also confirmed on twitter that the bags go back to the original team. I'm sure there are the rare times where a team might keep the bag, but it's odd that Vancouver has kept so many.

That's what I would have thought too, but they looked brand new.

I would bet because it was a mid-season trade and instead of breaking in a new pair during the season, Cammy shelled it for the remainder and got a new pair in the summer.

So players keep the "unders" and everything in the team colorway is property of the team?

This is interesting too

screen_shot_2013-03-24_at_1.10.34_pm.0_s

He retired with the Stars, so he took his gear when he was done. Players take a set of equipment home at season's end as was stated in this thread; the only thing was that Lindros never came back after that off-season.

Messier's Navy lid was painted in NYR.

i was in peranis back in 2000ish and they were pulling cooper sk2000s off the shelves. i was told they were sending the navy/white ones to the rangers for messier and red ones to the wings for osgood. at the ime they had the only stock left in numbers that could supply those players. they had a ton of them and i remember seeing a few there a couple of years ago.

i also remember paul boyer (wings eqm) calling every dunhams sports in detroit and buying all of the easton classics they had for shanny.

If I were a professional hockey player, I'd be pretty upset if I reported to my new team and was given an old, used, smelly hockey bag to put my equipment in. You'd think teams could afford a $100 bag.

My question, for anyone who can answer, is why do teams outfit their players with mid-grade gear? Seems like most NHLers wear Reebok Pro, which is essentially Reebok 7k. Why not lighter equipment with better technology? How much freedom do the players have in choosing their own gear (protective, not including external such as helmet, gloves, stick)?

If I were a professional hockey player, I'd be pretty upset if I reported to my new team and was given an old, used, smelly hockey bag to put my equipment in. You'd think teams could afford a $100 bag.

Who said it would be reissued to a player? It serves a purpose for surplus gear, laundry, whatever.

The bag is a badge of courage, and that's why I cringe when I see some of you guys with them; just seems like an attention-seeker to me...

My question, for anyone who can answer, is why do teams outfit their players with mid-grade gear? Seems like most NHLers wear Reebok Pro, which is essentially Reebok 7k. Why not lighter equipment with better technology? How much freedom do the players have in choosing their own gear (protective, not including external such as helmet, gloves, stick)?

No one gets issued a smelly old bag as far as I know also.

Also, some players prefer to stick with whatever works and sometimes that happen to be gear from 5-10 years back from their junior days. Newer does not always equal better and old doesn't mean less protection.

Who said it would be reissued to a player? It serves a purpose for surplus gear, laundry, whatever.

The bag is a badge of courage, and that's why I cringe when I see some of you guys with them; just seems like an attention-seeker to me...

Totally agree. I don't get the pro stock craze.

I can see guys getting team bags, just like they get team hats, T-shirts, jackets, etc. Don't forget that "fan" comes from "fanatic", which is the word that was originally used, before it was shortened for convenience.

Yeah, and even then, NHL players are issued team-specific apparel that the regular public can't get.

Also, another thing that irked me during the lockout is people buying the NHLPA Players' jerseys they wore. Same as NHL, the PA has an apparel line that only players have access to.

No one gets issued a smelly old bag as far as I know also.

Also, some players prefer to stick with whatever works and sometimes that happen to be gear from 5-10 years back from their junior days. Newer does not always equal better and old doesn't mean less protection.

Totally agree. I don't get the pro stock craze.

Similar to how sneakerheads collect PE shoes. It's something not everyone can get and often comes in a rare colorway.

Price is a factor as well. Given the choice, most people would spend $150 on a pro return stick than $269 on an equivalent retail model.

Similar to how sneakerheads collect PE shoes. It's something not everyone can get and often comes in a rare colorway.

Price is a factor as well. Given the choice, most people would spend $150 on a pro return stick than $269 on an equivalent retail model.

Yeah, it's harder to find, but there is a legitimate subset of the pro stock game that is about value. My unused thrasher Easton Airs ran me $40, and top end pants anymore are upwards of $100. I mean yeah, if you want something with Crosby's dried snot on it, that's one thing, but if you're not about big names and all that, pro stock is usually a great place to get a wholesale price, or close to it. Look at a gear sale, I see guys at the NDTP sale and the U of M sale coming out with a half dozen sticks for the price of one top end at Perani's.

But of course, there is the "team set," thread over on some other forum, that's a whole new animal.

i'm sure they have the upmost freedom to choose pretty much whatever they want to wear under.

nope

really? i'm shocked. I kind of assumed if they had pads that where working for them in juniors or whatever they played in before they would just carry those into the pros until they where unusable.

Unfortunately, rules have changed, so, all of that stuff is being changed over to the new spec product. From there, yes, there are some choices, but, it isn't a free for all to say the least.

Same with undershirts. Saw a team this morning that is 100% Reebok, which shocked me, as you always get someone who is partial to UA for whatever reason.

very interesting i figured as long as the players stuff met the rules and requirements for game play they would be allowed. The more you know...

Yeah, it's harder to find, but there is a legitimate subset of the pro stock game that is about value. My unused thrasher Easton Airs ran me $40, and top end pants anymore are upwards of $100. I mean yeah, if you want something with Crosby's dried snot on it, that's one thing, but if you're not about big names and all that, pro stock is usually a great place to get a wholesale price, or close to it. Look at a gear sale, I see guys at the NDTP sale and the U of M sale coming out with a half dozen sticks for the price of one top end at Perani's.

But of course, there is the "team set," thread over on some other forum, that's a whole new animal.

I guess it makes sense when you can get stuff cheaper. And while some of the stuff you can find is cheaper a lot of it is still ridiculously priced. Like $200 gloves, $200 pants, and $150 helmets just because they're pro stock.

I just find it ridiculous when guys scoff at retail gear because it's not pro stock as if pro stock gear makes someone instantly better. Or people who will actually buy NHL patches and have it sewn on their pants to look like their favorite player. To me it's nothing more than grown men playing fantasy dress up to satisfy their inner 6 year old girl.

Then again, I'm just exercising my right to express an opinion and criticize others. They can do whatever they want with their money. I just play with some former pros and college/junior guys and they've in a sense "earned" their gear. I wouldn't feel right coming out with something I bought on eBay.

though I agree with that in some sense that people go way too far in the pro stock craze, there are some aspects of it that I do enjoy, like the ability of finding a wider variance in curves and flexes at a lower price, especially since I've used the 30 day warranty maybe 4 times in my life, I have no problem taking the gamble on a stick that costs less than half the price.

Second is the choice of colors. I played on a team this year that used gold and black a la Penguins, so obviously it would have been nice to have matching gloves. However without going the custom route my only other option was pro stock. I wasn't too picky whose glove I was going after as long as it fit my spec, nor did I get a shell socks a helmet and a practice jersey to make it look like I went to their camp. Some color schemes aren't available on a high level glove at retail that pro gloves offer, along with sizing modifications, palms and padding etc.

Anyone know whether or not its the same for goalies? I'm thinking about the Ben Bishop - Cory Conacher trade as I was watching the Pens-Lightning game last night and am pretty sure I saw some red accents on bishops pads, presumable from his time in ottawa... I would assume they keep their old pads until new new ones can be made as they are such a personal piece of equipment?