Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IniNew

The COLT. Kickstarter for hockey sticks...

Honestly, I wouldn't want to donate money to them and have to pay full price for the stick probably 250$, they should give you a coupon that increases with the amount of money you give to them.

Interesting to see if it comes around. If they're really using true nano-materials I would think the stick ends up costing a lot more than $250.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I'm breaking far fewer sticks in the last few years. When OPS first came out I, like almost everyone, broke a ton of them, in all situations. But in the last few years I've broken one stick (an S17 that got jammed into the boards) and I'm a big guy (6'3" 220) that leans heavily on my stick to shoot. Yes, we all see the pros having sticks snap on passes or simple plays, but I think that's more a result of the different construction methods that push the edges of performance at the expense of durability (because it just doesn't matter if a pro breaks a stick). In addition, the fact that pros use so many sticks means they're more likely to end up with a production defect as well . Yes, we all hear of or see new retail sticks break in easy ways, but that is less due to lack of durability than it is a flaw/defect in that particular stick's production. In my opinion the retail sticks available today are plenty durable for the vast majority of us and they are certainly vastly improved from the original OPS of a decade ago.

So interesting.

Onepeace sticks have been changing, for example as Easton.

They are made of thinking about torsion, I think.

So they have narrow oval shaped neck.

I think it's ok to make blade part with metal especialy for normal users or players.

Durability is very imprtant and blade don't need flex.

So I think this COLT stick is not going wrong way, but I wish them to make it with easy torsional construction as Easton sticks.

There has been so much investment in sticks already and some companies already failed to succeed after entering the market. (e.g Miken hockey, SBK)

and number of companies struggle or don't have nearly as big revenues as adidas-bauer and easton have (winnwell, eagle, combat, graf)

Colt sticks seem decent, but I doubt they have something as performant as top of the line we have today.

I wouldn't invest a dime as they don't offer anything new.

via the rewards for donation, at 265 CAD, they claim it will be still well below retail price. I dont know about you guys, but i currently wont spend 200 on a stick, let alone 265 and above....

The $150 CAD reward is the stick at "half the retail". So it'll be $300.

I don't think a kickstarter is enough to get into this market. Too much superstition and old boy's club mentality in hockey. Should have just sold the tech to a company... if they were willing to buy it.

Just because the 150 reward is half off a retail stick doesn't mean the stick will be limited to 300 retail. Kick starter rewards are often supposed to be a value over retail, rewarding those who invested. Thus you could end up for a 400 retail stick paying 350, etc

In other words, why would you pay into the 265 reward level when you can just pay at the 150 level, or 200 level. It doesn't say for 150 you get a stick it just says you get one for half future retail

Poor wording on the reward for the $150 level, but from the other reward levels, it's pretty clear that you'll be getting a stick for that $150 pledge rather than having to pay anything additionally.

It doesn't say for 150 you get a stick it just says you get one for half future retail

Yeah I looked at the levels again. I just think its weird because it shuttles people who are excited off the bat to a lower donation level, but perhaps it's just to get that amount up so people can see they are serious.

Yeah I looked at the levels again. I just think its weird because it shuttles people who are excited off the bat to a lower donation level, but perhaps it's just to get that amount up so people can see they are serious.

That's exactly what it's for. Have to get initial backers to start the group think movement, and soon more will be donating.

There is a post on Sports Illustrated.com about Colt on the NHL page. Looks like they are getting a little bit of press, which can only help their cause. I'll be sold if it makes it to retail and the hype is confirmed by the general public after it has seen some real testing by real consumers. The concept is a very unique idea and if it can succeed in the market it would be a good thing for the industry, maybe make some manufacturers strive for more improvements in their own products.

So based on the reward levels for $150 is half the future retail meaning retail is going tobr $300. Now I'm all for trying new technology, but there is no way I'm going to buy new technology at a 20% premium to the highest end model of the current competitors (assuming they're talking US$300 vs US$250 for current top models). I'm not going to say they should lower the price because I don't know the cost of materials to them, but I do think it does speak to the concern I mentioned earlier about the ability to produce a stick with nano materials at a competitive price.

If it delivers on its promise of being a high end performing stick with super strong durability, I'd pay the 300, but as of right now I just see stuff about durability, not too much on performance innovations etc

My first thought is I think they made a mistake featuring ball hockey so heavily in their ad. Not a good way to be taken seriously. They did not do enough, in my opinion, to show what the actual stick will perform like in their video to ease my skepticism.

My first thought is I think they made a mistake featuring ball hockey so heavily in their ad. Not a good way to be taken seriously. They did not do enough, in my opinion, to show what the actual stick will perform like in their video to ease my skepticism.

My thoughts exactly. and that is backed up by the founder saying you can use it for ice, ball..... and street hockey? Yeah right.

My thoughts exactly. and that is backed up by the founder saying you can use it for ice, ball..... and street hockey? Yeah right.

Hey maybe you could have sparks doing a slapshot at night on the tarmac

15,000 left and only 7 days. Doesn't look good for them. I see they updated their page since I saw it last, listing curves and the comparable curve in other companies. Idk where they got their information for Reebok. This seems like an interesting idea, who knows if the technology will really transfer over or not. My biggest problem with committing to something like this is that, even if the technology works and makes the stick super durable, what is the chances the stick will perform well? I'm not saying the coating will take away from performance, I'm saying the chances of a brand new company being able to create a stick that has good pop, feel, balance, etc is pretty slim.