Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

Don't beat yourself up about that mate, you actually did a great job for most of that video.  What I saw was a goalie stopping some amazingly unbalanced contests for a long time until you seemed to realise it was you against the whole other team.  Your team gave you no backup, no support, nothing.  The worst bit was at 2:45 where two guys had five shots in a row on you with no white jerseys to be seen for miles.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, magnets said:

Don't beat yourself up about that mate, you actually did a great job for most of that video.  What I saw was a goalie stopping some amazingly unbalanced contests for a long time until you seemed to realise it was you against the whole other team.  Your team gave you no backup, no support, nothing.  The worst bit was at 2:45 where two guys had five shots in a row on you with no white jerseys to be seen for miles.

agreed, there was zero support from your "team".  and the whole thing at 2:45... what happened to that "defender" that tripped from the tap on the skates??? did he disappear through the Zamboni door, or was there some sort on a worm hole that sucked him in Dr. Who style? 

• Like 1

When I get ZERO defense, I skate out of the net when there is a breakaway. Or I just let in shots when fifty rebounds that could have been cleared don't. Infact, when I want to make certain that I want my D to work, I purposely let in soft goals. Nothing makes a defense work harder than when they think you're a bloody pylon ?

Meh, I'm not going to go that far. I'm still going to usually make a moderate effort to make the save, I'm just not going to go out of my way to move all that much (see the goal at 5:56 of the video - I get a kick out of how much they cheered when that went in). Definitely would never skate out of the net. While that sends a message to my D, that's not really fair to the guy on the breakaway who paid for the pickup session. It's not HIS fault my D is useless. 

22 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

When I get ZERO defense, I skate out of the net when there is a breakaway. Or I just let in shots when fifty rebounds that could have been cleared don't. Infact, when I want to make certain that I want my D to work, I purposely let in soft goals. Nothing makes a defense work harder than when they think you're a bloody pylon ?

I've had the opposite experience at several pickups - if the skaters/defense don't think I'm working hard enough, they'll give up trying to defend me like I'm not worth the effort if they think I'll just end up letting the goal in anyway.

It depends on the make-up of the group, though.

52 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

Meh, I'm not going to go that far. I'm still going to usually make a moderate effort to make the save, I'm just not going to go out of my way to move all that much (see the goal at 5:56 of the video - I get a kick out of how much they cheered when that went in). Definitely would never skate out of the net. While that sends a message to my D, that's not really fair to the guy on the breakaway who paid for the pickup session. It's not HIS fault my D is useless. 

Your choice. I see your point. 

If it is a good guy, I WILL challenge him in a one on zero breakaway, unless it becomes a habit. With most Mc Danglers, they know the score and I have NEVER had to explain; in fact, most comment "guess your D is boycotting you, eh?".

38 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

I've had the opposite experience at several pickups - if the skaters/defense don't think I'm working hard enough, they'll give up trying to defend me like I'm not worth the effort if they think I'll just end up letting the goal in anyway.

It depends on the make-up of the group, though.

Sure it does. The guys who are playing Game 7 of the Sh*t Show Cup care a WHOLE LOT when they think their team will be skunked because of what they think is sub par goal tending. I have fun with it, as well. "Bloody well give me a chance and I will try my damndest to stop shots!!!!" That sometimes gets the message across, or not.

21 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Sure it does. The guys who are playing Game 7 of the Sh*t Show Cup care a WHOLE LOT when they think their team will be skunked because of what they think is sub par goal tending. I have fun with it, as well. "Bloody well give me a chance and I will try my damndest to stop shots!!!!" That sometimes gets the message across, or not.

Yes and no - often, the younger age cohort (18 - 25, those home from college and/or newly spat from U-19 or high school teams) tends to get fed up and decide the best defense is a good offense.  When I play with guys older than me (we're talking 60s ok) like the Raytheon guys, they mistake me for being a teenager and take pity on me.  So, score one for looking a dozen years younger than my actual age?

Most times it's a mix.  My Russians play so much defense I hardly know what to do with myself sometimes.  :laugh:  They kept apologizing today for not stopping this one guy who is really, really good (and clearly dialing it back a few notches - his dad skates with us, so he's not trying to sandbag or anything).  One of them asked me, "Has anyone other than that guy scored on you today?"  Well, yes, but it does seem that way sometimes...  (I did stone him a few times, but the kid can basically pick a spot and go for it and I'm only so fast.)

Had games on back to back nights this weekend and for the 3rd week in a row our goalie couldn't make the games. Last night we ended up losing 2-0 but I got absolutely no help from my D, and as the case with Optimus' drop in, that obviously doesn't work too well. I was waiting for a reply all day today from our tendy of whether or not he was gonna show up to find out 2 1/2 hrs before game time that he wasn't going to be able to. Normally that wouldn't be that bad but I live about 45 mins away from the rink so I tend to leave about 1 1/4 hrs early to make sure I have plenty of time. Showed up to the rink to find out that the other team had no subs and they're already the bottom team in the league. We'll usually beat them 5-1 or something close to that. I think i faced 5 shots, and not very good ones at that all night. By the end of the second I had skated over to our bench and told my team to take it easy on them and give them a few chances since we were already up 4-0. I had 2 defensemen out of 12 players that were actually trying to give the other team a chance. Another guy was attempting to complete a hat trick and the rest of the forwards were playing like they were trying to win the Stanley Cup. We won 9-0 and I couldn't be more embarrassed by that win. Not to mention that this is the team that I play as a forward in so getting put in net for the second half of the season after I've already paid my dues for doesn't exactly sit well with me. Especially when I'm only facing 5 shots a game. I love playing in net but not when I literally skate around the net or practice doing push offs while play is going on because I'm so bored. My 2 D-men that were trying to let the other team get some shots apologized to me at the end of the game but 2 guys can only help the other team when they're dead tired and my forwards don't understand that you don't win any special trophy or award in this league. To put it lightly I'm just a tad bit pissed at my team from that one. If I would have known the other team had no bench I would have brought my gear to skate out. I basically showed up tonight to warm up my team and that was it. Complete waste of time, league dues, and gas money.

That sucks :( I always feel bad when we stomp another team, especially when it's a friend of mine in their net. Especially because I know how I'd feel if it was me instead.

I've seen some big leads disappear in this league before though so most guys don't let up at all. I just wish they wouldn't cheer when it's 8-1. Luckily the team I'm currently on has some class and generally just plays keep away or dumps it in instead of trying to score more goals once were up by a lot.

Poor sportsmanship just makes me angry. And so many learn it from such an early age. I have skated out of the net in stick and puck the next time a young cocky player shows a bit of cheek after scoring the fifth time.  I have seen a few goalies have enough of a cocky little show off and put their shoulder down and lift the stick up when a twerp skates through the crease and gives a snow shower. That usually calms them down for the rest of the game.

@tedpenguins I don't mind winning 5-0 if it was a hard-fought 5-0 and the other team just had poor puck luck. But damn! When it just becomes a snoozefest and play is 85% on the other end, it is BORING! 

But then you have a real bone of contention on playing goal the second half of the season, ted. I am assuming that forwards are charged more than goalies. 

Edited by bunnyman666

Yea goalies are free in this league. Payments were due about 4 weeks ago and we had no problem with our goalie showing up at that point. I completely understand that it is a holiday time and work does get in the way sometimes but to miss almost the whole second half of the season is a bit much. Whether a goalie pays or not they've made a commitment to be part of the team and they should try to be there as often as they can like everyone else.

This next season should be really interesting though. Our team is splitting in half so the stronger players can move up a league since we are dominating the other teams. I'm gonna end up being on both teams: playing in net in the lower tier and playing as a forward in the upper. I don't mind filling in in net when something comes up but there's no way I'm going to pay for it this next season if it becomes a habit. 

Followed up one of my worst performances ever at pickup with one of my best games ever in a game. I guess that's how it's supposed to work, right? :)

Won 6-2. The first goal on a PK I just missed. I had a new glove and was having a lot of difficulty getting comfortable with it. Second goal was right off a face-off. It was just barely tipped by my D-man. Not much, but enough to put it under my pad instead of into the boot where it was headed. Those slow ones suck. No more goals after that though, so I'm happy.

My new Passau chestie is here . . . and it's pretty awesome, but I have to admit I really have no idea how to get it properly adjusted. There are a lot more adjustments than my old one. I need help adjusting the neck height - is it by putting the velcro on the back higher or lower, or by changing the shoulder attachment? I also need to get the floaters squared away - I like them to fit close to the top of the shoulder but they seem to stick way up no matter which buckles I use.The arms seem to fit pretty well length-wise, but I need to move the elbow cups up a bit (which I know how to do). 

Got rekt Friday night, 7-1. First two were softies that I should have had, goal 6 I should have had. All the others were back door or results of D not tying up the opponents sticks. Not to mention, our team was clearly outskilled. I'd say that maybe half our team should be in the division we are in, while the other half belongs in pure beginner. Going to be a long season I reckon.

1 hour ago, Flop_N_Pray said:

My new Passau chestie is here . . . and it's pretty awesome, but I have to admit I really have no idea how to get it properly adjusted. There are a lot more adjustments than my old one. I need help adjusting the neck height - is it by putting the velcro on the back higher or lower, or by changing the shoulder attachment? I also need to get the floaters squared away - I like them to fit close to the top of the shoulder but they seem to stick way up no matter which buckles I use.The arms seem to fit pretty well length-wise, but I need to move the elbow cups up a bit (which I know how to do). 

I don't have my chesty in front of me (in an airport) but I think I may be able to help.

To adjust neck height, use the Velcro on the back shoulders. For the floaters, notice that there are TWO sets of attachment points for the straps at the top of the floaters. I too like my floaters pretty close to my chest/shoulders so if I recall, I'm using the outer connection points, done up to about half tightness.

I believe Passau is working on a site refresh and I've heard mentions of some adjustment instructions being posted. A video would be nice as well, but we'll see.

3 hours ago, Flop_N_Pray said:

Thank you for your purchase.

Tim McCarthy

Director of Business Development

• Like 2

I can boast that I got dinged in the chin. Yeeeeouch! No stitches or anything, but I have a robin's egg on my chin. I think I am going to get a better dangler.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I can boast that I got dinged in the chin. Yeeeeouch! No stitches or anything, but I have a robin's egg on my chin. I think I am going to get a better dangler.

In the chin?? How does that happen? 

some Fat dumb hero decided to crash the net after i covered the puck and the whistle blew about 3 weeks ago, in the process he fell into me and since i was on the butterfly he landed on top of my right leg (knee area) and crushed the shit out of me pushing me back hyper flexing it to the point that i started laughing from the pain  and saying "ow my knee get the hell off me before i slit your throat"

went to the doctor and they said to rehab it and stay out of the net for at least a month maybe longer

@Thinkingjack That sucks. I hope your rehab goes quickly and you're right as rain in no time.

When someone jumps on your knee, it is scary stuff- ESPECIALLY when they are HEAVY. Glad to hear nothing major happened. 

I think the fat hero deserves a knee-capping with your goal stick the next time you play against him.

I haven't made full reports in awhile, but here is a chronicle of yesterday's drop-in:

I have happened upon a highly organised and skilled group who plays on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If this rink were closer, it would be my go to group. I deal with non-stop breakaways and a singular dangler in my home rink, and a mixed bag who may or may not play defense on any given day at my home away from home rink (which I go to on Mondays).

None the less, it is a downright pleasure to play with this group. Sure, there are a few breakaways and wrap arounds, but defense is actually played here with great passing and players who take short shifts. This would be a fun skate to do if I were skating out, had I not lost the skills as a result of a twenty five year absence. 

I let in a few soft goals five hole (more than I would like to count), incidentally kicked one in (grrrrr!), and still get beat top shelf often. But there were a few times I showed some progress, and even stole a couple by flashing the leather. I can even get a shooter to rush their shot by smacking my stick on the ice; sometimes it results in a poor shot, sometimes it results in a goal against. Am I going to steal games at this point? No. Am I getting a bit more confidence and swagger in net? Yes. 

I gotta get myself into the butterfly more often, I gotta learn better angles, and I need to be in better aerobic shape. I am going to be quitting my current band in May, so some time will open up for me to work on things.