Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markush

Hybrid / Full Face Shield

It would be Great to get Feedback on your experiences with a hybrid Shield and Full Face Shield.

(Thinking about http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Hybrid_Shield/itm/15003-2/ and http://www.totalhockey.com/Product.aspx?itm_id=12178&div_id=41&bn_id=12178-41 )

Have had the first Bauer Concept Full face Shield and had Problems with fog. I play indoor and outdoor ice hockey so it should work both ways.

BTW: is the New Bauer Hybrid Shield the same as the old Bauer 920 combo Deluxe or have there been any optimizations?

I can only speak for the Bauer Concept III as it was the only one I used. I liked it a lot for the visibility. I would have to spray it with anti-fog stuff before games though. It wouldn't ever fog up on me unless I lifted the shield all the way up mid game or took my helmet off. Then, and only then, it would fog.

I have the Bauer Hybrid Shield, although I think it is a previous design because it looks slightly different with a black cage. The cage definitely provides more airflow, and on rare occasions it gets fogged up slightly on the bottom of the shield, but it doesn't bother me. The only real issue I have is that it does not fit my Bauer 5100. It is definitely too narrow for it, and the helmet is a size medium. I can't imagine what it would do to a large. It has actually forced the plastic pieces that cover your ears to crack. I'm not sure if it is just this design and if they have upgraded it, but after an hour of play it gets uncomfortable for me.

I have the Bauer Hybrid Shield, although I think it is a previous design because it looks slightly different with a black cage. The cage definitely provides more airflow, and on rare occasions it gets fogged up slightly on the bottom of the shield, but it doesn't bother me. The only real issue I have is that it does not fit my Bauer 5100. It is definitely too narrow for it, and the helmet is a size medium. I can't imagine what it would do to a large. It has actually forced the plastic pieces that cover your ears to crack. I'm not sure if it is just this design and if they have upgraded it, but after an hour of play it gets uncomfortable for me.

So having the Shield a size bigger than the helmet is a good idea?

So having the Shield a size bigger than the helmet is a good idea?

No, I'm not saying that, but when the shield pushes the sides of the helmet inward to the point where it's uncomfortable to wear then I wouldn't say it is a successful design, would you? It fits me fine without the shield strapped. I forgot to mention that I bought the same size shield as I did the helmet.

I have a size Large Bauer Hybrid shield. Fits the medium Mission Inhaler well, except that the mounting design of the shield is completely worthless. The screws that connect the shield to the helmet require a Phillips screwdriver to tighten. However, there is absolutely no room between these mounting screws, and the inside of the shield. So, I wear a work glove and tighten these screws by hand. Then, once it seems tight enough to be safe, I lose any ability to flip the cage up and down. Any attempt to flip the shield up just puts a strain on the mounting reception area of the Inhaler, seemingly weakening have integrity of this foundation. (I a interested to see if there is a Bauer rep around to explain the "ingenuousness" of this system, as it is obviously over my head.) I am by no means a Bauer hater, I have as much Bauer gear on me as I have Easton and CCM.

I have only played with the shield once at the Toyota Center in El segundo, CA. I did not apply anti fog, and the shield was fine for the first hour or so. Minor fogging of the sides for the next 30 minutes but nothing major. Also, the fit and feel and comfort and everything seemed fine.

I just pretend that it is a half visor so I do not try to hinge it; except of course that It has the cage extension, so putting it on is a little dicey.

We will see how it does in a more humid environment when I go back to Asia.

Do pure cages bother your visibility that bad?

I was wearing the Bauer titanium prior to this, and yes, it did bother me a bit. I had to have my helmet sitting just right so I could see through the right row of horizontal blocks, and even then, I noticed when I was waiting to receive pucks, that I would be accounting for when the puck passed in front of the vertical bars. It was just distracting- I tried not to think about it but it was noticeable. I never tried the cages that everyone wears in the World Juniors and that the women Olympic hockey players wear- I think the 480/580 style, so who knows, maybe that style is easier to see through?

I was wearing the Bauer titanium prior to this, and yes, it did bother me a bit. I had to have my helmet sitting just right so I could see through the right row of horizontal blocks, and even then, I noticed when I was waiting to receive pucks, that I would be accounting for when the puck passed in front of the vertical bars. It was just distracting- I tried not to think about it but it was noticeable. I never tried the cages that everyone wears in the World Juniors and that the women Olympic hockey players wear- I think the 480/580 style, so who knows, maybe that style is easier to see through?

Bar alignment is a big deal considering ive tried numourous cages. I think the re-akt cage might just be a bad bar alignment when it comes to your eyes. The ccm cages are a wider squared cage and now even the bauer profile 2 is virtually a replica of that cage, with thinner bars. I loved my white true vision but i dont even notice my white profile 2. Color is a big deal in my opinion as well.

The Bauer Hybrid isn't available in a titanium Version of the Cage Part?

I think overall weight / Balance is very Important.

I have both the reakt and ccm fm580 and prefer my reakt. For me weight is a big issue because I normally wear a cage for league play only and a visor for every other time.

I think what mikewhy said is correct. the bar alignment for your face specifically has a lot to do with usability.

I've used a white 5100 cage, an itech titanium, a white fm 580 cage, a bauer concept 3, and the bauer reakt. If you have any questions, feel free to ask or pm.

I used both a Re-Akt and whatever comes on the CCM V10. Re-akt was far better for me.

That said, I just switched to an Avision Ahead, and don't think I'll be switching back.

I'm thinking of getting a Bauer Hybrid to swap out for my Re-Akt cage but just saw the new Avision Ahead Elite comes out 8/1. I may just wait for that and give it a try to compare to my Re-Akt cage. I really like the visibility of visors but normally I end up dripping too much sweat on them and they give me fogging issues when I play roller.

I'm thinking of getting a Bauer Hybrid to swap out for my Re-Akt cage but just saw the new Avision Ahead Elite comes out 8/1. I may just wait for that and give it a try to compare to my Re-Akt cage. I really like the visibility of visors but normally I end up dripping too much sweat on them and they give me fogging issues when I play roller.

Use a No-Sweat pad in your helmet. That should help a lot with the sweat.

I've gotten a lot less fog on my Avision Ahead than I did back when I wore a visor. I can't wait for the new version!

Like Optimus said, I wear the inhaler helmet which has the built in sweat band. Additionally, the air vents in the inhaler are a lot cooler than any other helmet I have worn. So, this may be keeping my hybrid visor fog free. Either that or the rinks have just beefing hot- super ice cold so much that my feet were cold last game, which never happens to me.

Use a No-Sweat pad in your helmet. That should help a lot with the sweat.

I've gotten a lot less fog on my Avision Ahead than I did back when I wore a visor. I can't wait for the new version!

They are now taking orders. :)

I just ordered one.

Its been a while since i had a hybrid shield cage combo. Old one was a itech and fogged a bit. I sweat a lot so im hoping the elite works out. Photos make it look like a space helmet.

http://hockeyfaceshields-com.myshopify.com

Eagerly awaiting your impressions Optimus. I have the current model and love it, very interested to see if the Elite is worth upgrading to

Maybe the ugliest thing I have ever seen. If the Hanson's wore a shield this is what it would look like.

Yup, they're god awful ugly but damn are they ever nice.

Has anyone tried the ReAkt titanium cage vs. CCM or other current ones?

As mentioned, I had problems seeing through the Re-Akt. I have since switched to a CCM Resistance 300 White cage, and do not notice it is there as it whites itself out against the white ice backdrop. The weight difference seems negligible.

I think they look alright in themselves--a few form consolidations would go a long way to fixing it up--they always just look like they're twice as big as they should be.