Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingofnooyork

Lacrosse shoulder pads for beer league?

I've been on the hunt for a shoulder pad with great chest and back protection and minimal shoulder cap protection for mens league.

Originally i used the sherwood 5030s. Light, mobile. Then caught a couple pucks in the back. Not pretty.

I then upgraded to CCM CLs. Light, Mobile, great chest protection. My only qualm is the shoulders are deceptively huge. Was filling my water bottle up at the sink and saw myself for the fist time with them in the mirror and they are enormous. When i take them off i feel a huge difference in mobility that i overlooked because of the light weight.

The only pads i've seen that pull off both are the "franken-pads" where people sew the best pieces of both worlds together. I'm not much of a tailor and i can't really justify paying someone to do it for me.

Was checking out lacrosse shoulder pads and they seem to really have both small mobile shoulder caps with great chest and back protection. Has anyone ever tried this type of pad for ice hockey?

Having played LAX, yeah, I don't see why the shoulder pads wouldn't work for hockey. Haven't used them, but don't see any issues with it.

The LAX pads are made to protect more against sticks and cross-checking style of attacks. Hockey protects more against the shoulder/body-check style of impact.

If you still have the CLs and don't want to sell them, you can cut off the shoulder caps and just wear it as a vest. That's what I did with my u+12 and love it. You're not going to get shoulder protection but if you're not checking...

Check out the STX Stallion when they come out late April early May

Most protection is needed in your sternum and spine first.

I use the Easton Stealth Lacrosse shoulder pads for beer league:

http://www.sportstop.com/Easton-Stealth-Lacrosse-Shoulder-Pads

They've been the perfect solution for me; lighter and more mobile than any hockey pads I've tried, solid sternum protection as well as shoulder caps, breathable and extremely low profile. I've been using them for about 2 years now and could not be any happier with them.

Many lax shoulder pads have removable (via velcro) shoulder caps and bicep protection so that you can just have the parts on that you want.

I just started wearing these after breaking my clavicle, really low profile and not bulky.

http://lacrosseunlimited.com/stx-assault-lacrosse-shoulder-pads.html

Those are what my kid wears for lacrosse. They have removable pads. Very mobile and lightweight. He has CL shoulders for hockey but he has worn those same lax shoulders in 3v3 hockey games from time to time..

I then upgraded to CCM CLs. Light, Mobile, great chest protection. My only qualm is the shoulders are deceptively huge. Was filling my water bottle up at the sink and saw myself for the fist time with them in the mirror and they are enormous. When i take them off i feel a huge difference in mobility that i overlooked because of the light weight.

The only pads i've seen that pull off both are the "franken-pads" where people sew the best pieces of both worlds together. I'm not much of a tailor and i can't really justify paying someone to do it for me.

Have you tried on any such franken-pads: are you sure they actually pull off both, as you put it?

We're an incredibly funny species, capable of the most incredibly subtle self-deception (as some psychologists say, that could be the reasonable-innocent explanation behind Brian Williams exaggeration of his helicopter downing story) and an alarm went off reading your moment of realization, happening in front of the mirror. Are you sure you're not just unhappy with the way they look, which is 'deceptively bulky'?

For what it's worth. I tried on the APX2 shoulders recently (though without a jersey over) and was insanely impressed with the feeling of incredibly light and mobile pads that still offer sufficient protection for aggressive hockey. Again, though, the shoulders are not super slim.

My current pads are probably not much better than the lacrosse ones though. I just have 15+year-old Easton Pro Lite Design shoulders that were light for their day, with really slim plastic shoulder caps that have some padding, maybe 1/8" thick, on top of that. I wore those in full contact leagues when I was younger, without any injuries or complaints. I tried to upgrade to bulkier ones, but I simply couldn't move in those. I could barely shrug, much less raise my arm.

Not too hijack this thread but I'm also looking for lower profile shoulder pads. They don't necessarily have to be lax pads. I'm using ccm CL's right now and I wouldn't say they are super bulky compared to some but they definitely look fairly bulky, especially on a skinny guy like me (6 ft, 165ish Lbs). Just playing beer league but it's a somewhat higher level so I want more protection than the padded shirts. Anyone have any good low profile/less bulky shoulder pad recommendations for a smaller guy. Looking for something fairly cheap too if possible.

The CLs are as low profile as you're ever going to get in a modern ice hockey shoulder pad. Period.

Eh, not really. Not saying they are not smaller than some but the black color makes them look very sleek but if you slap a jersey on they are actually quite meaty.

I guess in the future; equipment manufacturers need to create a high end line for non checking. Mens leagues have really blown up in the past 10 years and there is enough money in it to make it lucrative.

I'd love to see a super lo-prof set of shoulders that are light and protective in the mid section and back. I'm fairly certain they would be a cash cow. Get the price around $70-$80 and there you go. Imagine a set of CL shoulder pads with really low profile caps. Everyone would have a pair.

Eh, not really. Not saying they are not smaller than some but the black color makes them look very sleek but if you slap a jersey on they are actually quite meaty.

I guess in the future; equipment manufacturers need to create a high end line for non checking. Mens leagues have really blown up in the past 10 years and there is enough money in it to make it lucrative.

I'd love to see a super lo-prof set of shoulders that are light and protective in the mid section and back. I'm fairly certain they would be a cash cow. Get the price around $70-$80 and there you go. Imagine a set of CL shoulder pads with really low profile caps. Everyone would have a pair.

If Down Low had stuck around, a couple changes here and there (and enough demand to get the price under $100) and they'd have been a hit.

i went to Total Lacrosse and tried on some LAX pads a couple months ago when I was looking for really low profile shoulders, tried on probably 8 different pairs and was not really comfortable in any of them. They all seemed to have weird pressure points and didn't conform well to my body it seemed like. Hard to describe, almost felt like if you made shoulder pads out of cardboard and put them on. Not heavy, just non-conforming and uncomfortable. I didn't bother getting any of them.

If you're not worried about shoulder cap protection I'd just cut the caps off of whatever shoulder pad feels most comfortable to you.

i went to Total Lacrosse and tried on some LAX pads a couple months ago when I was looking for really low profile shoulders, tried on probably 8 different pairs and was not really comfortable in any of them. They all seemed to have weird pressure points and didn't conform well to my body it seemed like. Hard to describe, almost felt like if you made shoulder pads out of cardboard and put them on. Not heavy, just non-conforming and uncomfortable. I didn't bother getting any of them.

If you're not worried about shoulder cap protection I'd just cut the caps off of whatever shoulder pad feels most comfortable to you.

I know exactly what you mean with your "cardboard" statement. I would agree with that description in general. The STX Assault ones linked above don't have that feeling. They have essentially no structure to them at all (you could almost ball them up if you wanted to). Each of those white pads that you see in the picture are separate from each other and the only thing that holds everything together is relatively wide mesh netting that runs between the pads. They are almost like a padded shirt. When I first was looking at new lax shoulders for my kid two years ago, I almost didn't get them because I was worried about how flimsy they were, but the sales person at Total Lacrosse assured me that they were top of the line and highly regarded and the best that you can buy (although in lacrosse, movement and ventilation are frequently one of the most sought after features).

Correction though... I just looked at my son's and only the bicep pads are removable (not the shoulder caps).

I dont understand why it's so important for everyone on here to have lo profile shoulder caps? Is hockey all about looks nowdays?

While they may be "meaty", they aren't restrictive at all. As for your suggestion, the best way to do that would (in my opinion) be to make the pads modular. Say you do three levels of "vest" and then pick and choose your level of shoulder caps and bicep pads that attach via velcro straps. It would probably cost more to do it that way, but it would be the ultimate in customization.

Say you do three levels of "vest" and then pick and choose your level of shoulder caps and bicep pads that attach via velcro straps. It would probably cost more to do it that way, but it would be the ultimate in customization.

For beer league, I think Mission nailed it. http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=MPROS

Bicep pads and shoulder caps are both removable.

I consider myself a minimalist and prefer to feel as mobile as I can playing men's league. I've heard all the arguments both ways and honestly, I'd rather play without shoulder pads. My rink requires them, "unaltered" in order to play in their leagues. I've actually seen refs check a guy's shoulder pads to make sure they weren't modified (ie., the shoulder caps were still attached). It's funny, because it's a USA hockey insured league and from playing in many USA hockey sponsored tournaments, I know USA hockey doesn't require players to wear shoulder pads. I made that argument to the league director at one point, and he threw the injury concern at me, and mentioned that it was protection against some of the loose cannons in the leagues. I found that point ridiculous. Checking is banned. If you think shoulder pads are going to protect you from someone with some screws loose, forget it. Anyways, I use an old pair of Bauer classics with the caps attached and bicep pads cut off (shhh...don't tell). I've tried all sorts of pads over the years looking for the perfect solution, like you, and I haven't found anything short of a frankenpad. For me, I'm sacrificing some chest/back protection to feel as unfettered as I can.

Not really, there is only one set of pads and it's a shirt.

I was referring to their ability to remove the bicep pads and shoulder caps separately.

I consider myself a minimalist and prefer to feel as mobile as I can playing men's league. I've heard all the arguments both ways and honestly, I'd rather play without shoulder pads. My rink requires them, "unaltered" in order to play in their leagues. I've actually seen refs check a guy's shoulder pads to make sure they weren't modified (ie., the shoulder caps were still attached). It's funny, because it's a USA hockey insured league and from playing in many USA hockey sponsored tournaments, I know USA hockey doesn't require players to wear shoulder pads. I made that argument to the league director at one point, and he threw the injury concern at me, and mentioned that it was protection against some of the loose cannons in the leagues. I found that point ridiculous. Checking is banned. If you think shoulder pads are going to protect you from someone with some screws loose, forget it. Anyways, I use an old pair of Bauer classics with the caps attached and bicep pads cut off (shhh...don't tell). I've tried all sorts of pads over the years looking for the perfect solution, like you, and I haven't found anything short of a frankenpad. For me, I'm sacrificing some chest/back protection to feel as unfettered as I can.

Our league requires them as well and there are enough options out there that it really isn't a problem. It costs them nothing to require the pads and helps insulate them from some of the inevitable lawsuits. SWD 5030 or something similar is enough to meet the minimum requirements and you won't even feel them while you're playing. USAH actually requires that any piece of gear being used is "unaltered" for sanctioned play, even for adults. We encountered that issue with regards to cages. You aren't required to have one, but it has to be in stock condition if you choose to use one. I also use lower level elbow pads so that I don't have problems with the shoulder pad and elbow pad bicep protection getting bunched up. More than one way to skin a cat, etc...

I was referring to their ability to remove the bicep pads and shoulder caps separately.

If I were designing, there would be at least two or three levels of those as well. I guess I didn't make that clear enough.

If I were designing, there would be at least two or three levels of those as well. I guess I didn't make that clear enough.

Yea, understood. Would be cool to have them be swappable for more/less protection etc.