Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

burr14

Lower/mid level gear (i.e. Pants) better for beer league? (Vs. Top of the line)

Hey just wondering what your guys opinions are for certain types of gear for playing beer league hockey. I play a fairly high level for beer league so I definitely don't want to skimp out on protection too much, but at the same time it's non-hitting so I don't need to go too crazy for protection and I prefer getting lighter pads that will be more mobile. I was thinking about buying new top of line pants (i.e. Total one, APX), but after reading reviews it seems that a lot of people find them fairly bulky. Right now I'm using a mid level pant (Supreme SMU, I think between one70/one80) and they aren't really too bulky in my opinion. Would going to a top level pant be a lot heavier/bulky because of the extra protection? Is it even worth it to go top of the line for certain gear like this for non-hitting? Seems like it would just be heavier/less mobile. What about other gear like Shin guards? Are top of the line shin guards lighter than lower end ones, or do they just add extra bulk from the extra protection?

I prefer a lower end pant just because they're more flexible and softer. But that's also because my body shape doesn't allow the pads to sit in the correct places, so take that with a grain of salt.

nowadays, a lot of the times it will depend on the materials used. A lot of CCM's top tier stuff weighs a bit less than the tier below due to the usage of foams vs plastic in protective components. This scale can eventually tip back in favor of lighter on the lower end. What you need to ask yourself is not necessarily how the weight is less, but more of where it is less, if that makes sense. Lowest end Pants are nice because they are super light, but you wont get padding for inner thigh, less padding in the leg area in general, and nowhere near the ass/spine padding you get in the higher end pants. These may or may not be an issue to you, but playing in a higher end league, you can take slappers to the inner thigh, one option offers some level of protection, other doesn't.

I play at the B/C level in Ice. I use and like the CL pants, picked them over the lighter U12 because of the additional padding, and not too much additional weight. I would like them a little roomier, but in the end, I also enjoy walking at non gingerly paces, so ill keep using them.

Lowest end Pants are nice because they are super light, but you wont get padding for inner thigh, less padding in the leg area in general, and nowhere near the ass/spine padding you get in the higher end pants. These may or may not be an issue to you, but playing in a higher end league, you can take slappers to the inner thigh, one option offers some level of protection, other doesn't.

Funny you mention inner thigh. I didn't think any player pants had padding there, as both my girl friend's and I pro stock pants have no inner thigh padding. I'll have to keep a look out for ones that do in the future.

I play mid level mens league hockey. No checking and no slapshots. The best thing I did was I got rid of my breezers (I'm from Minnesota) and bought football compression shorts with the honeycomb pads and wear sweatpants/roller hockey pants. Most guys on my team do this. As you get older and slower this gives a great feel and makes it feel like you gain a step. Just my opinion. If your league requires breezers, I would just get a shell and wear them like a pair of shorts.

Like you I play in a higher level no check beer league. I usually go 1 level down from top of the line in terms of protection. We have guys that can really shoot the puck and if I am playing defense I would rather not take a shot to the league wearing lower end gear. For pants and shins I wear the Supreme One80s from a few years ago. Now the Nexus 800 pants and Supreme One.8 shins. Since you play in the league itself I would evaluate the level of play, how hard the shots are coming and also just because its no check doesn't always mean no contact. I have been rubbed out along the boards with no call before and when I said something to the ref he responded with "Its a no check league not a no contact league".

I got tired of getting beaned player in the higher divisions and having 6-8" diameter bruises. Bought top tier pants not because of the contact, but for puck protection. No injuries or bruises yet.

Maybe take a look at the Warrior Covert line, they are definitely light and mobile, with good protection in the thighs, hips and spine. I've used the DT2's and like them for the most part but the protection in the seat area is definitely lacking in that model

I use the higher end stuff, for my protection from my own falls, and the occasional puck. Having welts, and bruises is not my thing. I'd rather pay a little more upfront, and feel great the next day.

I started with Bauer APX pants and found they didn't have enough hip and butt protection. I moved onto Tackla Air 9000Zs and now to Eagle Pro Talon 100s. Considering how long the Tackla and Eagle pants last, it's good money spent in my mind. Sold the Bauers on eBay for just under what I spent on them and played in them for seven games.

The Tacklas I used for 16 games, and they looked as new when I replaced them a couple of weeks ago. Fellow team member bought them from me after the last game out of my trunk after inaugural game with new Eagle pants. Only reason for replacing was due to weight loss and no more adjustment left.

I came across the Eagle Pro Talon 100s while looking for Tackla Pro 5000s. Tackla is not making the 5000s for the forseeable future according to their office in CT. The Eagle's were available in my new size and I haven't looked back. I love having only one belt for adjustment and no draw string. The tailbone and spine padding is much different and better than what I had in either prior pant. And the hip, thigh, and butt padding is superb. All in a lighter, and more mobile package than I had. Very happy with these, and they should last quite a while.

Funny you mention inner thigh. I didn't think any player pants had padding there, as both my girl friend's and I pro stock pants have no inner thigh padding. I'll have to keep a look out for ones that do in the future.

well, its not a large amount of padding, but its there. its basically to use my CL as an example, a foam insert that runs just before the pant zipper. Its thick enough to dampen, but its not like a plastic guard. I was coming from my Fit07 which had it as well. with all the CCM lines so far, there is a point where its no longer available as you go down the line, the lowest id go down a line, for my personal needs, is the spot before its no longer available.

I just wish they'd increase the tailbone protection in low-end pants for those low division beer leaguers who either don't need heavy duty protection or don't want to spend a bunch of money, yet expect to fall quite a bit as they're learning.

I had some Easton EQ30 pants with amazing tailbone protection (hard plastic moulded tailbone protection!) but hated the pants. Seriously considered cutting it out and sewing it into my Bauers. I don't fall much anymore so I wouldn't bother with it now, but when I first started playing it would have been a godsend.

I look forward to the day when I can explore more high-end options in pants, but at this point because I'm fat I have to get fairly large pants despite not being very tall, so they get pulled up pretty high, and the pads don't sit where they're supposed to. So I stick to low end pads since even the plastic in those is flexible. At least I went from an XL to an L recently... going in the right direction!

One doesn't always fall on their tailbone. There are plenty of hard falls on the hip and accidental collisions to the thigh, kidney, and lower back area in lower leagues. If anything, lower level guys should be upping the protection they wear and not downgrade.

Just remember, sooner or later everybody falls.

Or is felled.

One doesn't always fall on their tailbone. There are plenty of hard falls on the hip and accidental collisions to the thigh, kidney, and lower back area in lower leagues. If anything, lower level guys should be upping the protection they wear and not downgrade.

And a heavier player can hit the ice harder, and want better protection.

How many times must I apologize?

If it bothers you, I won't kid you about it any more. But that wasn't directly solely at you.

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember that your initial "apology" was "I'd do it again!"