Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Does grip tape ruin gloves?

Yes, the glue from all tape eats away at the palms. Grip tape is the worse of them all. Many have switched to Taci-macs rubber grips.

I'd started using the stretch wrap. The stuff that sticks to itself. Allows you to have the grip how you want it (using tape) and then the fantastic grip without damaging gloves.

Though I just recently decided to try tacki macs again since I use them on my goalie sticks to get a consistent size knob.

White standard cloth tape, rather small knob, apply baby powder to it after the first time you use the stick and it's a little sticky, and you're set.

This but I prefer black so it doesn't look nasty. I actually use powder b4 every game to help keep it smooth.

Stretch grip tape, like OR said, is the best stuff on the market. Tacki-mac or tennis over wraps aren't really customizable, and are pretty thick. Regular tape or grip tape rip up palms. This stretch tape is thin, customizable, tacky, and won't destroy gloves. I also like how you can replace it without having to re-tape everything.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=RSRT

RSRT-BK-1.jpg

It also has alot to do with the palm material. The "pro palm" stuff will pill up and disintegrate but the reinforced non pro-stock palms they are putting on alot of gloves these days are much more durable.

It also has alot to do with the palm material. The "pro palm" stuff will pill up and disintegrate but the reinforced non pro-stock palms they are putting on alot of gloves these days are much more durable.

I use pro digital nash palms (APX Pro) and there is barely a mark on them using the stretch tape. Regular tape would have destroyed them by now.

I tried the tennis grip stuff once. Didn't really care for it.

I agree. I've used both Tacki-mac and tennis grip. Both were too thick. And I felt like they deadened the puck feel. It was like there was slop because of how they squished. I use the big knob Tacki-mac on my goal sticks because it's a consistent size and stays square in the edges instead of rounding out over time. I thought I'd like it on my player sticks also. I was wrong, and that was using the smaller Kane version. Too thick.

I use pro digital nash palms (APX Pro) and there is barely a mark on them using the stretch tape. Regular tape would have destroyed them by now.

I agree. I've used both Tacki-mac and tennis grip. Both were too thick. And I felt like they deadened the puck feel. It was like there was slop because of how they squished. I use the big knob Tacki-mac on my goal sticks because it's a consistent size and stays square in the edges instead of rounding out over time. I thought I'd like it on my player sticks also. I was wrong, and that was using the smaller Kane version. Too thick.

I'm actually thinking about using a tackimac and putting that where I grip the stick with my hand. Unlike a player grip I think I'd actually like a bit of squish there.

I have definite marks on my apx pro palms using the stretch grip tape by Renfrew as well, but its not as bad as if id use regular tape.