Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyDangle

Shin Pad Knee Protection

Key to protecting your knees is keeping your pad roper my in place. I went from an ST16 to a 14k reebok. The ST's were tanks but were bulky, the Reeboks weren't bad but the knee cap slid all over the place and never sat right and the straps were just a pain, literally. I've since switched to the RBZ and couldn't be happier. I may have given up a little protection but the pad doesn't move and is very comfortable.

Moral of the story, fit = protection.

Makos are great. I had them until i took a slapshot straight on and ended up in the ER getting X-rays with a golfball sized hema on my shin :ohmy:

Ouch my leg. Shin guards not working.

A photo posted by Jake King (@kingofnooyork) on

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:12am PDT

King, just wondering where you exactly got hit with the puck on your shin pad as I can't tell from your picture? Was it the knee cap area or was it on the side by those white plastic things that run up both sides of the pad that are riveted on and also hold the calf guards in place. That area doesn't look like it could handle a good solid shot without the person wearing them getting hurt. I'm really starting to worry about getting hurt while wearing my Makos. I bought them cause they were so comfortable and the knee bend was the best I've seen for freedom of movement.

Bumping this to see if any new recommendations for 2017 gear.

I've been using Vapor X60 shin guards for the past few years, but have came down hard on a knee a few times lately and am looking for something that would give some more protection. Could go for a totally new set of shin guards or just something to have under my current shin guards to absorb some of the shock.

I just picked up a pair of Super Tacks and they're great so far, the knee protection/padding seems to be pretty good.  I've noticed, shin guards def have less knee padding now a daya than they did back in the 90's, the liner and donut is basically just there for show now where as back in the day it had some serious padding around the knee.  I read another shin guard thread where someone complained about lack of knee padding so they remedied it by buying a pair of goalie baselayer pants with the extra padding around the knee, so that's always an option I guess.

The Super Tacks look promising, I will have to swing by my LHS to get a better look.

So hard to tell what's just a fancy looking liner and what's actually going to absorb an impact when looking at the pictures online.

The Goalie base layer could be a good solution too if I can find something with an integrated cup.

You might also consider older CCM/Rbk models like the 20k, as the introduction of the 3DO gel and reduction of padding in the knee has not necessarily been well received, both for frontal impact and shots to the side of the knee. Throw them on in your LHS and drop to your knees a few times to see how well they protect you.

18 hours ago, Labrat198 said:

The Super Tacks look promising, I will have to swing by my LHS to get a better look.

So hard to tell what's just a fancy looking liner and what's actually going to absorb an impact when looking at the pictures online.

The Goalie base layer could be a good solution too if I can find something with an integrated cup.

Check out the initial review I just did on the 7092 Tacks. One step down from the Super Tacks. I was deciding between the two and ended up with the 7092's because they were $40 cheaper and had basically the same protection. The biggest difference was that the thigh guard isn't adjustable on the 7092's and it is on the Super's. For $40 it wasn't worth it :)

I love the 7092s as well. They seem to contour to my legs better/provide superior coverage relative to anything else out there. They also feel way less bulky in my view compared to the supers. I'd even consider dropping down to the 5092s for a lighter pad but I think you start to see a significant drop off in features at that level.

I'll wear Jofa-DNA shins until I stop playing. 

I've been wearing Nexus 1000 for several years now. If they needed to be replaced today, I'd buy the latest version. I've taken so many shots off the knee, shin, and calf. Many of them I felt minimal impact. While they're some of the bulkier shin guards out there, they definitely do the job and are comfortable.

On 10/24/2017 at 3:13 PM, darkhors said:

Check out the initial review I just did on the 7092 Tacks. One step down from the Super Tacks. I was deciding between the two and ended up with the 7092's because they were $40 cheaper and had basically the same protection. The biggest difference was that the thigh guard isn't adjustable on the 7092's and it is on the Super's. For $40 it wasn't worth it :)

Thanks for the link!

I agree the extra $40 is probably not worth it, unless the adjustable thigh guard is the difference between fitting and not. 

14 hours ago, Labrat198 said:

Thanks for the link!

I agree the extra $40 is probably not worth it, unless the adjustable thigh guard is the difference between fitting and not. 

The funny thing about that is that the 7092's thigh guard is a little bigger by default but you can't move it. Whereas the Super Tacks is adjustable, but is smaller in size so even if you move it up, it doesn't really cover as much. The only benefit I could see is if you just wanted to take it off completely. I use a Bauer TotalONE NXG girdle and have absolutely no issues with the thigh guards on the 7092's.

The thigh guard on the 7092 is angled in such a way that it doesn't get caught on pants like many other designs. It hasn't been an issue for me either so far. 

I would think a bigger one would be less likely to get caught in the pants. That said, some ref shins actually have a strap on the thigh guard. 

Bumping this zombie-thread again.

So I just destroyed my knee playing.  I got tripped while going behind the net, it spun me around, and I came down with all my weight and force on one knee.  Severe damage to the MCL and PCL and bone bruising, among other things.  The doctor says the PCL and bruising is from the actual impact with the ice.  I'm currently wearing Ultra Tacks, with the 3D0 panel, but that really protects from a straight frontal impact, and I landed a little to the side where there's pretty much nothing.  So I'm looking for a new shin guard that may be more protective in the knee area.  The 1N has the Seven+ padding covering more of the knee cap.  It's an option, but I'm not real happy with the shin protection of the Nexus 1000's I had before.  I got two very serious shin bruises, one swelled almost immediately to the size of a golf ball, and could have needed a hospital visit.  I don't know that the 1N improved in those areas.  A new 2N version with the Curv shin would probably be the best option, if that is upcoming.  If not, the 1S has the Curv shin, but FlexOrb knee donut.  I don't know if there will be as much FlexOrb coverage as the Seven+ in the 1N.  CCM doesn't seem to have an option other the the Super Tacks, which is inadequate.  Warrior's knee padding doesn't seem to be any premier material.  Is there a good option?  Should I consider modifying the Ultra Tacks, possibly with Maltese, HD Airgel, or something else?