Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JONES199

Change Helmet Color

Ideally I'd like change the color of my kids helemet (spring team) and then change it back for next fall. Is there a way - wrap or paint maybe? Trying to save a couple hundred bucks.

Short answer, No. Using a wrap MIGHT work, but the use of the adhesive might be detrimental to the shell of the helmet. Which may void any certification and warranty. Since it's just a spring league, maybe find a cheap used helmet on ebay or something that will fit your league's standards.

Howdy,

Plasti-dip perhaps?

Comes in all sorts of colors and applies pretty easily. As important, you can peel it off later when you don't like it.

Its pretty common in the car world for "fairly temporary" color changes.

Its not as durable as paint though, so if you want to keep it looking nice you'd need to keep the helmet in something vs. just banging around in your bag.

You'd also want to figure out a way to not get it on the inside of the helmet through the vent holes.

If it were me though, I'd probably just get two helmets.

edit: it does look like you might be able to brush on plasti-dip rather than spray... Unclear how well that works, but if it did, that might give you a way to deal with vent holes better.

Mark

My guess would also be plastidip if your heart was set on not buying another helmet. I don't think that paint would hold nicely on the shell of a helmet. It would probably flake and chip easily.

Anytime I've seen a helmet painted, I've seen a ref say it's unsafe and can't be used.

I've seen a few helmets painted. Only on adults.

Even Krylon fusion doesn't work that well. If you want the paint to stick, you'd need an adhesion promoter from the auto body shop. If you need to use that harsh of a chemical, I think it would ruin the integrity of the helmet.

For the cost of youth hockey and travel and the risk of a ref saying no and your kid sitting, I'd find another or an eBay helmet for your kid.

Yeah, sometimes it looks like somebody dumped out a bag of skittles, but I'm glad our local youth leagues don't get all that worried about helmet colors.

Never paint a helmet. The chemicals in the paint will effect the integrity of the plastic shell. This is really playing with fire.

It's the age old question: What is your kid's head worth?

so, i did a little digging (instead of working) and i looks like http://headwrapz.com/may be able to help you out, but i'll bet its comparable to buying a NEW helmet. and as the OLD thread on MSH says, it will void certification and the refs may not let you're boy play.

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/61298-notre-dame-hockey-helmets/

as it has been said before, your the dad, the check writer.

Go to Play it Again or eBay and buy one in the right color. Or be like my dad was and buy the cheapest one available and tell him he's gonna like it.

I've seen a few helmets painted. Only on adults.

Even Krylon fusion doesn't work that well. If you want the paint to stick, you'd need an adhesion promoter from the auto body shop. If you need to use that harsh of a chemical, I think it would ruin the integrity of the helmet.

For the cost of youth hockey and travel and the risk of a ref saying no and your kid sitting, I'd find another or an eBay helmet for your kid.

Yeah, sometimes it looks like somebody dumped out a bag of skittles, but I'm glad our local youth leagues don't get all that worried about helmet colors.

I had a friend in high school who had his painted by a friend at an autobody shop. It still didn't fly. At the youth level, they're pretty picky about it. I've seen some real gems for helmets in mens league, though.