Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fitz

Beginner - what equipment is worth spending on?

If I had to use entry level equipment for everything and choose one item with unlimited budget, I would go for sticks every time. 

Helmets all have to be of a certain standard. Cheap pants. Elbows, gloves, shoulders and cup will all do the job perfectly well. Skates are worth spending a good amount on. Buy what feels right for you and fits in your budget.

A good stick will make a huge difference to your play. Perhaps not initially but once you can shoot and have a decent level of ability.

23 hours ago, fitz said:

While it wasn't quite as bad as I expected, I definitely think shins and elbows are next on my list. 

And here is when reality versus wish lists hits the road.

Skates are number 1, then elbows, then pants then shins. These are your priorities as you learn to skate. As a beginner you will fall a lot, period. Then upgrade the helmet as soon as you can and then add decent shoulders, gloves, stick later on as you get better.  Buy the best 2nd hand gear you can afford, hunt on eBay, craigslist, playitagain and other second hand places, if you can take your time you will find top of the line gear from the last few years at really good prices, generally cheaper than new entry level to mid range gear. On past experience expect to pay $40 - $60 for used top of the line gear per item. Downside is you are buying blind but if you don't like the fit and the price is right you can always resell it for around the same cost. Good gear will always resell, low end and even middle range is a different story. 

And if you want some more protection in the hip area for your pants, look at buying some compression shorts with additional padding. There are nfl style shorts sold online that offer good extra protection for the hips and tailbone areas.

Started in early 90's having never played organized hockey, I agree with what most have stated.  Requirements for first-ever Shinny lessons were skates, helmet, stick, and gloves, so bought gloves and factory-second mid-level Bauer 4000's from LHS, got old Cooper SK helmet/cage combo from a relative, and classic Sherwood 5030 Coffey curve. 

Thought I was good to go, then proceeded to gradually hurt every body part not protected (except jewels, thankfully) during a number of lessons that first year:

- Falling no fun on the knees - back to LHS for basic shin guards - Check (still wearing them over jeans).

- Falling on tailbone no laughing matter- back to LHS for jock, socks, & good quality SMU pants (I think based on Tackla) - Check.

- Falling on elbows - mid-grade pads from big box store - Check.

- Butt-ended self in sternum after skating into own stick jammed into boards - JOFA shoulder pads - Check.

TL/DR:  Most likely, you will find yourself in full gear after hurting yourself over a few sessions, esp. if you are not strong on your skates.

Most everything lasted 10 years or more.  Still using original pants and elbows that have good padding in the right places, replaced skates after 10 years when holder broke (since replaced again), other pieces retired due to wear (palms) or desire for better fit (shins, helmet) after learning what to look for from this forum and hfboards.  After fit as criteria #1, IMHO buying mid-grade is good guidance for adequate protection that lasts, but sometimes excellent buys can be had on previous gen-1 or gen-2 year's higher-end gear that fit well without being too heavy or bulky. 

2 hours ago, titan1234 said:

TL/DR:  Most likely, you will find yourself in full gear after hurting yourself over a few sessions, esp. if you are not strong on your skates.

Most everything lasted 10 years or more.  Still using original pants and elbows that have good padding in the right places, replaced skates after 10 years when holder broke (since replaced again), other pieces retired due to wear (palms) or desire for better fit (shins, helmet) after learning what to look for from this forum and hfboards.  After fit as criteria #1, IMHO buying mid-grade is good guidance for adequate protection that lasts, but sometimes excellent buys can be had on previous gen-1 or gen-2 year's higher-end gear that fit well without being too heavy or bulky. 

I agree. If I get injured I look to see if there's more protective gear to help mitigate injury. 

I found some great buys on high end gear. I will miss the Easton brand. I've done well in gearing up on a budget with them. 

However this forum has made it easier to blow that budget by being seduced by the latest gear offerings...

Oof, that stick to the sternum sounds especially painful, and definitely sounds like something I would do to myself. 

I've pretty much been scouring clearance sections of sports stores since I started this topic, and have managed to pick up bauer supreme one.6 elbow pads at a good price. I've also borrowed a friend's rollerblading knee pads, and have been using those at public skates until I buy shin guards. Haven't gotten around to going to a stick and puck yet. The one nearest me just requires gloves and a helmet, so I'll probably try it out pretty soon. Once I get a stick, of course. 

Howdy,

Re: sticks...

HockeyMonkey has had some pretty good deals on a couple year old mid range ($100-ish) sticks for $40 or less.  Worth a look for you anyway.  I've gotten a few Warrior AX3LT's there and I don't think I've paid more than $35 ea for any of them.  

Mark

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, I live in Canada and it seems they don't ship most brands here. The exchange rate and shipping costs would probably make it not worth it anyway even if they did. I'm not too worried about sticks though. I see plenty of sales, and even if I can't find one I don't mind starting out with a wooden stick. 

I will spend most of my money on: 1.Skates 2.Pants 3. Shins

Besides, you have to find a helmet that fits you best, not necessarily the most expensive ones.

For the rest of the gear, I don't think they matter much for a rec league.

Like I said before, a beginner in a beginners' league should wear as much protection as they feel they can comfortably move in. They are going to fall awkwardly, and that is only if one of the other beginners doesn't take them down with them. A busted elbow or shoulder won't enhance their experience.

On 4/15/2016 at 8:35 AM, OptimusReim said:

Am I the only one that prefers a lower end pant? Heh.

Nope, I went from NXG to an RBZ 130. One extreme (very tight girdle) to another (loose wide fit). Really depends on the person. 

On 4/15/2016 at 8:35 PM, OptimusReim said:

Am I the only one that prefers a lower end pant? Heh.

+1

I went from apx to dt2, and liked dt2 than apx. Apx pant is so thick, so bulky… way too much protection for me.

4 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Like I said before, a beginner in a beginners' league should wear as much protection as they feel they can comfortably move in. They are going to fall awkwardly, and that is only if one of the other beginners doesn't take them down with them. A busted elbow or shoulder won't enhance their experience.

This^^ Everyone forgets about all the other new players out on the rink that will no doubt run into you by accident when they are out of control!

I feel "entry level" equipment is all rubbish and I wouldn't waste my time with any of it.

I'd suggest going midrange on everything if you can afford it. If not, hit up a PIAS (or equivalent) and then replace with midrange as you can afford it based on how your feeling in the current gear. Eg, falling on elbows heaps, replace elbows first. Helmet feels rubbish.. replace helmet etc etc.

Also.. I'd definitely going for some proper fitted midrange skates as my number one. Going 2nd or 3rd from top of the line if you find a special/clearance would be fine too (arguable overkill for a beginner though. nothing wrong with a softer boot as your learning IMO)

GL and have a blast!!