Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

evor1

LS4 steel is trash

I thought they fixed this crap but doesnt seem like it to me.  Just cracked another one today for no reason.  3rd set in like 7 or 8 months.  Wasn't even hot today so I can't even really blame thermal expansion.  Just step on the ice, weird grinding sound.  Cracked blade.

Steel made in China is crap. News at 11. Really makes no sense to buy anything but the cheapest steel. Because in reality it's all the same.

16 hours ago, evor1 said:

I thought they fixed this crap but doesnt seem like it to me.  Just cracked another one today for no reason.  3rd set in like 7 or 8 months.  Wasn't even hot today so I can't even really blame thermal expansion.  Just step on the ice, weird grinding sound.  Cracked blade.

Does the steel that you just broke have the "notch" in the back of the blade?

On 3/10/2017 at 10:52 PM, Pez68 said:

Steel made in China is crap. News at 11. Really makes no sense to buy anything but the cheapest steel. Because in reality it's all the same.

Step Steel is made in Canada and is not the same.

I'm running 3 sets of LS4 right now (1 is a recalled set from the first run 1X skates) and I have no issues with durability.  The only knock on the LS4 is there is an inconsistency in profile shape right out of the box.  I end up shaving my toes a little bit anyway so it's not a huge deal.

Not sure why other than the fact that more LS2 steel is in use than LS3 or LS4, but I've seen more broken LS2 runners than LS3 or LS4.  

15 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Not sure why other than the fact that more LS2 steel is in use than LS3 or LS4, but I've seen more broken LS2 runners than LS3 or LS4.  

Even with the LS2 it's still not that frequent.  The title for most problematic holder/steel goes to the E-Pro.  Thank god they're discontinued.  I've seen too many of them come in with missing bolts, shattered holders or broken steel.

On 3/10/2017 at 7:42 PM, evor1 said:

Thermal Expansion? From a hot outdoor temp of 100 degrees F to an indoor rink at 33 degrees F is not going to change the characteristics in any sort of steel. EVER. 

i hate my LS4's. I have a busted edge after almost every skate. I'm at 9/16 and they're busting constantly.  I keep soakers on until the ice.  I regret not trying to find the LS3.....

Flare Skate Blade is also made in Canada. Sandvik steel from Sweden, hardened and machined in Calgary at an Aerospace machine shop. 

On 3/17/2017 at 2:41 PM, jgold47 said:

i hate my LS4's. I have a busted edge after almost every skate. I'm at 9/16 and they're busting constantly.  I keep soakers on until the ice.  I regret not trying to find the LS3.....

Do you mean like a rolled edge, or a bur?

I'm running 2 sets of LS4's and I love em.  Sorry you're having a tough time with them.  perhaps you somehow got a set of the bad batch that came out in the beginning?