Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bthompson1286

Bauer injected lacing system, eyelet repair

So on my skates the Bauer injected lacing system broke on one of the eyelets.  The skates are out warranty.  Does anyone specialize in repair for this issue?  Anyone on the forum experience the same issue and were able to get it fixed?  I rather keep the skates than throw them away.  

Thank you in advance

New Jersey Devil's EQM dealt with this before. They have some heavy duty equipment to fix this. Considering I'm not sure what you have access to, I'll provide the video anyway.

• Like 2

The main reason why I plan on sticking with skates that have traditional eyelets.  Yes they are heavier and prone to wear and corrosion but if one rots out you can get them replaced at a pro shop.  I like the idea of the injected lacing system but given it only comes on skates around 1000 dollars and if it breaks out of warranty you are kinda screwed I don't see the benefit outweighing the potential costs.

• Like 2

Another option would be to drill a hole a few mm past the broken eyelet and install a "normal" brass eyelet . Not sure how well that would work, but it seems like it should in my head.... 

• Like 1

That's what I did with my 1X's. Drilled it out to the point I was able to install a standard eyelet and epoxy/super glue the top. Has worked like a charm for over a year now without having to go back and re-do any work to the eyelet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EBondo said:

That's what I did with my 1X's. Drilled it out to the point I was able to install a standard eyelet and epoxy/super glue the top. Has worked like a charm for over a year now without having to go back and re-do any work to the eyelet.

Got some pics of that?

@Ebondo that is impressive, I would not have imagined that to hold up - kudos!

I thought you might have installed it in the curve-comp (seen a few pictures of that so far), but that is all in the injected part.

• Like 1

Yeah I didn't want to actually drill into the boot itself, so found a way just to oval out the injected eyelet and the standard eyelet fit perfectly.

I installed CCM lace locks on a broken eyelet for a customer, seems to wirk good. Put one on the opposite good side just so laces were even

You can ship your skates to Bauer. This happened to a couple of guys on my hockey team. Even if it's out of warranty, but it will cost you.

Some guys on here and another forum have had unfavorable experiences with Bay Area Hockey Repair for glove work.  Not sure if that would be the same for skates.

Similar to Ebondo, I completely filled the eyelet with JB weld, let it set up, drilled a 3/8” hole in it, sanded down the rough spots, and done. No new eyelet or anything and mine has held up for a long time. I’d expect it to last the life of the skate. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwh3BlFHXlH/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=mtdu36o0tqo1

• Like 3