Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tvguy

Quad Zero profile

Sounds good - maybe some others can chime in to see if they also think that sounds like the best option :)

I also need to find a place that does this kind of work - so far I have struck out with my local Pure Hockey and Hockey Monkey stores.  

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Sounds good - maybe some others can chime in to see if they also think that sounds like the best option :)

I also need to find a place that does this kind of work - so far I have struck out with my local Pure Hockey and Hockey Monkey stores.  

A popular option is sending them into this company https://www.noicingsports.com

57 minutes ago, g3k said:

A popular option is sending them into this company https://www.noicingsports.com

Nice, thanks for the link.  Ultimately I think I will buy some Bauer LS3 steel to get the profiling done, and if I like it I will send them my illegal BlackSteel to do the same way, heh.  

16 hours ago, Fletch said:

Can anyone help me with this?  Basically, I have been playing for a long time now (28 years) but I have never messed with profiling, radiuses, etc.  I just always get my skates sharpened at 1/2 inch but I want to try quad zero at Zac911's (True rep) suggestion.  I am currently skating on a True boot with LS Edge/Step BlackSteel with a small shim to pitch me forward a bit.  Just wondering what the best option for me would be as far as a quad profile goes.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :12_slight_smile:

Do you like the step steel radius right now?  Or us there anything you would change about it?

6 hours ago, BureKovy said:

Do you like the step steel radius right now?  Or us there anything you would change about it?

Sorry, I am completely dumb when it comes to this stuff - what do you mean exactly?  

21 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Sorry, I am completely dumb when it comes to this stuff - what do you mean exactly?  

Right now on your step steel you could be anywhere from a 10 to 11' radius.  They call it quads because you get 4 separate radius throughout your steel.  Do you feel you get good speed, no wasted energy or maybe you want you turns to be tighter.  

Depends on what kind of player you are.

Edited by BureKovy

1 hour ago, BureKovy said:

Right now on your step steel you could be anywhere from a 10 to 11' radius.  They call it quads because you get 4 separate radius throughout your steel.  Do you feel you get good speed, no wasted energy or maybe you want you turns to be tighter.  

Depends on what kind of player you are.

I am 6'1, 200 and 42 years old.  Speed is ok but could be better and first few steps/acceleration could be much better.  I feel like I have to work hard for every stride but that could also be age, haha.  Turns could definitely be tighter, I always feel like my turns are fairly wide.

On 06/02/2018 at 1:11 PM, Fletch said:

I am 6'1, 200 and 42 years old.  Speed is ok but could be better and first few steps/acceleration could be much better.  I feel like I have to work hard for every stride but that could also be age, haha.  Turns could definitely be tighter, I always feel like my turns are fairly wide.

Yeah it sounds like quads would be better than what you have right now.  I don' think you could go wrong with any one if them.  Zero will be better for turning, two better for speed.  One is between both.  But all will help you get on your toes more.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BureKovy said:

Yeah it sounds like quads would be better than what you have right now.  I don' think you could go wrong with any one if them.  Zero will be better for turning, two better for speed.  One is between both.  But all will help you get on your toes more.

Sounds good.  Based on the info you guys provided, I think I will go with a 1 to start with and see how it goes.  Thanks again, guys.  I will post an update when I get it done.

On 2/5/2018 at 8:28 PM, Fletch said:

Sounds like you're in my neck of the woods (Orange County, CA).

You're right.  Monkey and Pure don't profile - they recommend Ultimate Skate & Hockey at Anaheim Ice for that service.  However, USH is really more of a figure skating shop and does NOT have a Prosharp or a Blademaster.  It's just James on the stand-up Wyssota.  He can adjust pitch and radius (to an extent), but good luck getting him to give you hard data on what he did.  

I'm seriously considering investing in a ProSharp AS2001 and starting a mobile sharpening/profiling business....seems the market may be ripe for it...

• Like 1

Either mail it in to some of the places listed on this thread, or buy new steel online from tydan etc who actually does profiling etc for you before it's shipped out 

On 2/8/2018 at 11:57 AM, Santos L Halper said:

Sounds like you're in my neck of the woods (Orange County, CA).

You're right.  Monkey and Pure don't profile - they recommend Ultimate Skate & Hockey at Anaheim Ice for that service.  However, USH is really more of a figure skating shop and does NOT have a Prosharp or a Blademaster.  It's just James on the stand-up Wyssota.  He can adjust pitch and radius (to an extent), but good luck getting him to give you hard data on what he did.  

I'm seriously considering investing in a ProSharp AS2001 and starting a mobile sharpening/profiling business....seems the market may be ripe for it...

Yep, I am in Costa Mesa :)

I pretty much only use USH for sharpening.  James and Kevin are my go-to guys there... I don't trust sharpening from Pure or Monkey, which sucks because Monkey is about a mile from my work.

3 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Either mail it in to some of the places listed on this thread, or buy new steel online from tydan etc who actually does profiling etc for you before it's shipped out 

I have been speaking via email with Bob at No Icing Sports - based on the questionnaire that they sent me, he recommended an FBV 92/95 and 8/12' combination radius.  I ordered some LS3 steel from PSH for $40, so I am gonna send that to them to try out before I make the decision to sending them my Step Black.

On 2/6/2018 at 4:11 PM, Fletch said:

@Fletch Your issue may not be your profile or solely your profile. It could be the hollow. The deeper the hollow the harder you have to work. A 1/2 hollow for someone you size is pretty deep. I’d try changing your hollow before messing with the profile.

25 minutes ago, stick9 said:

@Fletch Your issue may not be your profile or solely your profile. It could be the hollow. The deeper the hollow the harder you have to work. A 1/2 hollow for someone you size is pretty deep. I’d try changing your hollow before messing with the profile.

Yeah in the meantime I think I will go to 5/8 or 9/16 on my Step Black while I wait.  I can’t even send the steel to them until late next week so I’ll have a little time there.  

I have skated on everything from a Quad 0/1/2 to a Zuperior and a regular 11' and 13' profile. I can tell you this.

I HATED the Zuperior profile. I tried multiple versions and all of them seemed terrible to me. 

The Quad 0/1 feel almost identical. The 0 gives you a little more cornering and the 1 gives you slightly better speed. The Quad 2 has been my favorite. Lots of stability and loss of speed. If you are a player that uses a lot of crossovers and crossunders you will not notice any performance loss and significant gains. The Quad 2 also allowed me to walk my ROH from a 3/4 to 1" with a wide ZC. 

8 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I have skated on everything from a Quad 0/1/2 to a Zuperior and a regular 11' and 13' profile. I can tell you this.

I HATED the Zuperior profile. I tried multiple versions and all of them seemed terrible to me. 

The Quad 0/1 feel almost identical. The 0 gives you a little more cornering and the 1 gives you slightly better speed. The Quad 2 has been my favorite. Lots of stability and loss of speed. If you are a player that uses a lot of crossovers and crossunders you will not notice any performance loss and significant gains. The Quad 2 also allowed me to walk my ROH from a 3/4 to 1" with a wide ZC. 

Going to a 2, you don't feel the loss in the crossover?  I think this was my main concern so I am to go more zero.

But having tried zero and 1, you're right, I didn't notice a very big difference between them.  I do like to have tighter turning so the zero felt better for me but I could of easily skated on a 1 and still been happy.

1 hour ago, BureKovy said:

Going to a 2, you don't feel the loss in the crossover?  I think this was my main concern so I am to go more zero.

But having tried zero and 1, you're right, I didn't notice a very big difference between them.  I do like to have tighter turning so the zero felt better for me but I could of easily skated on a 1 and still been happy.

Absolutely no loss at all. I skate with a lot of cross overs and cross unders. Lots of people call them lateral crossovers but they have any different names. McDavid uses them a lot to gain speed. 

The most recent profile I had was 9' with a 60/35 CAG on it to get a little forward pitch and some speed from the flat.  I like the shorter 9' radius, but feel I'm losing a lot of speed and acceleration, and have to keep my edges super sharp to get good performance (not even the depth of hollow, but rather they always have to be fresh or I don't get good bite).  What's the best for that?  Quad 1?  I'm a defenseman that skates more in straight lines up the ice than weaving through guys, so speed and stability are important.  On No Icing's website, I'd probably be classified under their Quad 1.  But I don't know if thers is the same as the ProSharp ones.

Not a profiling expert but I currently skate on a 35/65, which is about a 13.5' radius. So 60mm of flat is probably closer to a 13' radius.

4 hours ago, psulion22 said:

The most recent profile I had was 9' with a 60/35 CAG on it to get a little forward pitch and some speed from the flat.  I like the shorter 9' radius, but feel I'm losing a lot of speed and acceleration, and have to keep my edges super sharp to get good performance (not even the depth of hollow, but rather they always have to be fresh or I don't get good bite).  What's the best for that?  Quad 1?  I'm a defenseman that skates more in straight lines up the ice than weaving through guys, so speed and stability are important.  On No Icing's website, I'd probably be classified under their Quad 1.  But I don't know if thers is the same as the ProSharp ones.

Typically defense use a Quad 1 or Quad 2 with ProSharp. You can use a Quad 2 and still be very nimble and agile you just need to walk the ROH up. Also, consider a Z Channel. You can view the ProSharp profiles specifics here:

https://issuu.com/elinmalmsten/docs/script-tryckfilus

2 hours ago, Larry54 said:

Just out of curiosity, which NHL players use quad profiles? What percentage of them do?

I'm not sure if there has been a survey but I can tell you most, if not all, have some type of profile applied to their steel. 

7 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I'm not sure if there has been a survey but I can tell you most, if not all, have some type of profile applied to their steel. 

I'm aware of that since it's good to maintain a profile even if it's just a simple single profile, just for consistency. I'm specifically asking about the use of quad profiles in the NHL. The people in these forums who deal with NHL players must have a good idea about what I'm asking.

Edited by Larry54