Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CigarScott

Under Armor recommendations

What do you all wear under your gear when you all play? I'm looking at getting some Under Armor to wear since I sweat like a pig and want to prolong the life of my pads. I usually skate in a t-shirt at public skates since I get hot just casually skating. I'm thinking of getting their Heatgear to help me stay cool; am I nuts for thinking this? I think I'd get too hot wearing pads, knit socks, and jersey to wear their stay Coldgear.

Yes, I would suggest an Under Armor type base layer, meaning a shirt and compression jock short. And they don't have to be specifically Under Armor either, as most of the hockey equipment manufacturers make base layer clothing. Wearing a moisture wicking base layer will help but don't expect miracles if you already sweat a lot. The simple fact is, is that you're likely to be soaked in sweat by the time a game or practice is over whether you wear an Under Armor type base layer or not, but you will likely be more comfortable during it. Also, try to avoid wearing knit socks unless your legs get cold, because they are the worst at letting heat escape. If you don't want to spend the money on the Reebok Edge socks or whatever the Addidas equivalent is, look at Tron hockey, as they should have some cheaper alternatives.

You don’t need to spend the money on UA branded stuff if you don’t want to. There are lots of brands who make decent base layer stuff. I don’t think I stay any cooler or sweat any less. I find it just manages the sweat better and is way more comfortable. Nothing more uncomfortable than than a sweat soaked cottton tee.

I failed to mention that Under Armor is the only base layer brand that I've found that makes things in big & tall sizes otherwise I would just get whatever was on sale...

Howdy,

I'm with stick9.  I wear Bauer 37.5 training tees when I play but I don't think I sweat any less than when I wore a regular cotton tee.  It's just a little more comfortable.  My pads still come off soaked.

I wouldn't spend big bucks on underlayer stuff.  The Bauer training tees at $20 are fine to me.

Mark

6 minutes ago, CigarScott said:

I failed to mention that Under Armor is the only base layer brand that I've found that makes things in big & tall sizes otherwise I would just get whatever was on sale...

@CigarScott try Old Navy. They do Big n Tall work out wear. 

11 minutes ago, stick9 said:

@CigarScott try Old Navy. They do Big n Tall work out wear. 

Thanks for the tip; I think I may be able to squeeze into their biggest sizes so I'll order some to try it out.

19 hours ago, CigarScott said:

What do you all wear under your gear when you all play? I'm looking at getting some Under Armor to wear since I sweat like a pig and want to prolong the life of my pads. I usually skate in a t-shirt at public skates since I get hot just casually skating. I'm thinking of getting their Heatgear to help me stay cool; am I nuts for thinking this? I think I'd get too hot wearing pads, knit socks, and jersey to wear their stay Coldgear.

If you're stuck on UA a lot of times you can find their stuff marked down at the max/Marshals/winners. I've even picked up 37.5 stuff their for pretty cheap.

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Bauer everything. 37.5 is awesome. 

They don't make anything in extra medium or tall sizes :(

I'm not a brand whore but I was looking at UA just because I know they make larger sizes for football players. I ordered a set of Old Navy stuff yesterday and just ordered a Reebok top and Under Armour pants from the big & tall shop since they were having a sale and I had a rewards certificate that was fixing to expire. I'll try both and see what works and if anything doesn't fit, I'll return them.

18 hours ago, nutters said:

If you're stuck on UA a lot of times you can find their stuff marked down at the max/Marshals/winners. I've even picked up 37.5 stuff their for pretty cheap.

You are so right. I can't believe how expensive they still are at Marshalls, but they often end up in the clearance section which makes them a bit more reasonable.