Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

I've been looking into rust preventive measures. Just not sure I want to invest $$$ into product, prep-materials, and a respirator (looks like that stuff is pretty harmful). Seems easier to just to spend a buck or two to replace them when they fail.

Always wiped down my stuff and let it air dried overnight. Problem is... San Jose is becoming more and more like Florida: Hot and humid!

POR-15 is not that bad if you don't spray it. There are solvents and hardeners in it that are bad for your lungs, but using it with a brush in a well ventilated area is fine. If you spray it, you absolutely must use a respirator. POR-15 is the best rust sealer in my experience, but for this Rustoleum would work nearly as well.

Just received my skates and skated on them twice already. Just want to say they are the most comfortable skates out of the box. The toe box is perfect. Scott did a great job accommodating my bunions. I just have some concerns and wonder if anyone else had similar issues.

Initially, the skates felt very "loose" especially in the arch and ankle areas. So after my first skate, I inserted some CCM insoles and that seems to solved the arch issue. However, I still feel that the ankle area is not as snug as I want it to be. Feels like there's too much movement going on. Do you guys think waxed laces would help? Or should I remold them?

Thanks

Just received my skates and skated on them twice already. Just want to say they are the most comfortable skates out of the box. The toe box is perfect. Scott did a great job accommodating my bunions. I just have some concerns and wonder if anyone else had similar issues.

Initially, the skates felt very "loose" especially in the arch and ankle areas. So after my first skate, I inserted some CCM insoles and that seems to solved the arch issue. However, I still feel that the ankle area is not as snug as I want it to be. Feels like there's too much movement going on. Do you guys think waxed laces would help? Or should I remold them?

Thanks

Follow these instructions for a proper bake with the method below (after clicking, scroll down a bit):

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/63437-vh-footwear/page-31#entry1013173

When you bake them (if you haven't already, or if you have, do it again), follow this method when they're cooling down on your feet:

Also, you may want to use waxed laces as well if you feel you're not getting a tighter fit. I'd do the above first, then waxed laces second.

Edited by mc88

Waxed laces, SOLE insoles, re-baking, and even hair dryer spot heating and compressing/pressing in certain areas really helped for me.

With respect to the ankle wrap video posted above, be careful not to "pull" the top edges of the skate too much into your ankle or you'll have discomfort. If this happens, heat up the area with a hair dryer and pull it back outwards to relieve the pressure.

I received the set I ordered for my son, very impressed with this skate, they are a great looking boot. My son has skated in Vapors for many years. When the Makos came out I got a set for him as I think their design would help improve most aspects of his skating. He hated the Makos couldn't skate on them and was not interested in spending the time in them to get use to them so I sold them. We have been ordering custom vapors his last few pairs as he has a narrow foot and even the vapor in D is too wide. He continues to blow out the Vapors at the junction of the toe cap and quarter package. His last pair has been repaired twice and needed to be fixed again, so I decided to look at other options. I was a little hesitant to order the VH after the experience with the Makos, but after speaking with Scott I decided to pull the trigger. My son says these are the most comfortable skates he's ever owned. The fit is perfect, I was amazed at how soft they got when they came out of the oven. I was at first concerned that they might be too stiff as the lower quarters are rock hard. He loves the amount of forward flex he get much more than his APX2s, with more support were it needs to be. I noticed a deeper knee bend in just a few lapse around the rink. I requested a little higher boot, double stitching at the toe quarter package junction, protective coating on the toe, extra copper rivets, offset holders for his pronation, 1/8th inch heal shims, Bauer Edge holders, and felt tongues. They came just as requested, and I'm impressed with the quality of construction. We didn't put them on a scale but both agree they are lighter than the APX2s. The only question left moving forward is durability, if they hold up I don't see him wearing anything else anytime soon.

I received the set I ordered for my son, very impressed with this skate, they are a great looking boot. My son has skated in Vapors for many years. When the Makos came out I got a set for him as I think their design would help improve most aspects of his skating. He hated the Makos couldn't skate on them and was not interested in spending the time in them to get use to them so I sold them. We have been ordering custom vapors his last few pairs as he has a narrow foot and even the vapor in D is too wide. He continues to blow out the Vapors at the junction of the toe cap and quarter package. His last pair has been repaired twice and needed to be fixed again, so I decided to look at other options. I was a little hesitant to order the VH after the experience with the Makos, but after speaking with Scott I decided to pull the trigger. My son says these are the most comfortable skates he's ever owned. The fit is perfect, I was amazed at how soft they got when they came out of the oven. I was at first concerned that they might be too stiff as the lower quarters are rock hard. He loves the amount of forward flex he get much more than his APX2s, with more support were it needs to be. I noticed a deeper knee bend in just a few lapse around the rink. I requested a little higher boot, double stitching at the toe quarter package junction, protective coating on the toe, extra copper rivets, offset holders for his pronation, 1/8th inch heal shims, Bauer Edge holders, and felt tongues. They came just as requested, and I'm impressed with the quality of construction. We didn't put them on a scale but both agree they are lighter than the APX2s. The only question left moving forward is durability, if they hold up I don't see him wearing anything else anytime soon.

Wow... Is your son's name Connor McDavid? What a dad!

Pictures!!!!

I'd be interested in the official scale weight if you ever get the chance.

I'm going to a chiropodist next week where she uses laser imagining instead of foot moulds. I saw on a recent video Scott is using a laser scanner in Winnipeg too. Has anyone ever just sent him the computer scan to work off of? I think that would be much more accurate then me tracing.

Edited by uproar

Pictures!!!!

I'm going to a chiropodist next week where she uses laser imagining instead of foot moulds. I saw on a recent video Scott is using a laser scanner in Winnipeg too. Has anyone ever just sent him the computer scan to work off of? I think that would be much more accurate then me tracing.

My standard ones with CXN holders (size 9.5) were 933g. http://i.imgur.com/YjehaFJ.jpg

Pictures!!!!

Mine is 870g https://www.flickr.com/photos/50271552@N06/14727138223/in/set-72157643823289365

Custom boots and double felt tongue, Sidas custom insole, Litespeed2 holder and Step steel with some shims.

Then I have a question.

So far Scott doesn't or perhaps couldn't use 3D or plaster foot mold for hockey boots making.

When I asked him that you can make more better thing if I sent you my foot mold, he answered me no he can't use mold making method for these hockey boots.

Has he started new making?

Mine is 870g https://www.flickr.com/photos/50271552@N06/14727138223/in/set-72157643823289365

Custom boots and double felt tongue, Sidas custom insole, Litespeed2 holder and Step steel with some shims.

Then I have a question.

So far Scott doesn't or perhaps couldn't use 3D or plaster foot mold for hockey boots making.

When I asked him that you can make more better thing if I sent you my foot mold, he answered me no he can't use mold making method for these hockey boots.

Has he started new making?

The problem I had with certain custom insoles were that they were WAAYYYY too thick. So I'd be careful for those who are thinking about putting in different insoles.

Which Sidas insole did you end up going with?

Edited by mc88

The problem I had with custom insoles were that they were WAAYYYY too thick. So I'd be care about putting in different insoles.

Which Sidas insole did you end up going with?

Hi.

Definitely Sidas is thicker than the other ordinary, paperlike insoles.

But I wonder is it really so thinner VH's sponge insole and red sheet combination?

My insole was made by a shop person.

Sidas has also produced many kinds of packaged? combination? insoles but there is a catalog which are published each parts for making custom insole.

Their insole can be dismantle more than 5 parts.

My insole is used craftman's choice parts for icehockey.

I baked my boots and heat molded with VH's genuine insoles.

Then after I changed it to custom insole and now skating.

Certainly I've felt boots' inside little small, but I re-baked the boots with thicker sox.

Ofcourse the craftman filed Sidas insole's bottom by belt sander.

He always measured genuine insole thickness and make custom insole thickness closer to genuine's.

If you can't satisfied with these methods, I think it's better to cut the same things out as genuine red sheet and do heat mold.

14710366293_97364debc3.jpg

This is for VH, now I'm using.

5309447488_33632ba04c.jpg

This is for former Bauer boots.

You can see the difference of parts choice.

Edited by Mimizk

I'm in an experimental mood again... I just cut up some custom molded insoles I had laying around. Walking around the house, they create a super tight yet comfortable fit... but I'll update tomorrow and see if it works out on the ice.

On a related note, I've been having some arch support issues on my left foot. Seems like the VH insole doesn't extend up high enough on the inside arch, so I get some discomfort. Hopefully the custom insoles will fix this!

Edited by mc88

I'm in an experimental mood again... I just cut up some custom molded insoles I had laying around. Walking around the house, they create a super tight yet comfortable fit... but I'll update tomorrow and see if it works out on the ice.

On a related note, I've been having some arch support issues on my left foot. Seems like the VH insole doesn't extend up high enough on the inside arch, so I get some discomfort. Hopefully the custom insoles will fix this!

I'm sorry if I misunderstood though, have you cut the outline of your custom insole smaller to solve the problem?

I don't think you can solve the problem by the method...

I measured my insole for you.

That thickness is 2.65mm, measured with vernier micrometer.

How about yours?

This number is the point around foot fingers.

Sorry I couldn't measure around heel because I don't have such special measurement.

But this is my feeling though, I feel a part of heel is thicker than around finger area less than 1~2mm from I took the 2 points between my fingers.

I have custom Sidas insoles and they are definitely thinner than the red and yellow combination insoles from VH. For me the arch support of the custom insoles were absolutely necessary since I have a ridiculously high arch.

Update: My custom insoles worked out great. Weird at first since they kept the foot at an angle, pushing my weight more toward the toes, and less on the heel... but after a bit, I forgot they were even there.

I found that the VH insoles took up more volume in the forefoot than the SIDAS customs, but because of their spongey compressible nature my heel sat slightly lower on the VH insoles. When I traced my foot and measured the circumference of the forefoot I wasn't standing so the forefoot ended up being a bit too tight with the VH insoles. With the SIDAS I managed to get them to fit just right.

• Like 1

Scott is only using the 3D tracing for speed skating boots. When I met up with him this time last year he was doing a trace for a national speed skater. I inquired about it for my funky shaped feet and he said that it doesn't produce the best results for hockey.

Scott is only using the 3D tracing for speed skating boots. When I met up with him this time last year he was doing a trace for a national speed skater. I inquired about it for my funky shaped feet and he said that it doesn't produce the best results for hockey.

At around 0:20 in this video, we see him actually making a pencil tracing of a foot mold of Blake Wheeler's foot. So I guess the process has been tuned to fabricating with tracings. Even if you sent him a foot mold, he would just make a tracing of it on paper.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-jets-players-wearing-locally-made-hockey-skates-1.2558666

Some upgrades!

Black Velocity Step Steel profiled by No-Icing Sports -- 8" toe -12" heel radius, 5/8" hollow with a minor forward pitch

o2XcOCX.jpg

Plasti-dipped toecap (done by myself -- pretty easy to do with some time, patience, and correct materials)

TSQh71L.jpg

6JZXj5m.jpg

Edited by mc88

Some upgrades!

Black Velocity Step Steel profiled by No-Icing Sports -- 8" toe -12" heel radius, 5/8" hollow with a minor pitch forward

Plasti-dipped toecap (done by myself -- pretty easy to do with some time, patience, and correct materials)

Great!

The combination 8-12' radius is just the shop have a metal mold of that or change 2 molds at half point by the hands?

I want to hear how do you feel the profiling.