Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Unfortunately, your options are a bit limited now that you've waited so long: Either send in the skates and pay for repairs and buy a cheap pair of backups in the meantime... or buy a new pair of skates and ask for the above... or buy a pair of custom Bauer, CCMs, Eastons, etc. The unfortunate downside of buying a pair skates that are still in the R&D phase is that it's going to fail sooner than other established products.

One of the reasons I wanted to take a chance on VH hockey skates was because I admired the innovation and philanthropic endeavor from SVH. Low cut boot with a skatng-stride in mind with fully moldable materials for max control. I'm all about that philosophy. Certainly I wanted to be part of that first wave of VH users just to get the experience in and further support VH Footwear's mission.

Regarding getting an even stiffer boot, maybe that's something I'll consider, I just want to squeeze another year out of these skates. I'll have to find a way to send them in for repairs, I don't mind the costs - it's just very difficult finding a period of time that I don't have to be on ice for any reason or another. I could use my old skates and put steel back into them but it's been so long I'm fearful of struggling to skate and I need to be accountable for my technique as I demonstrate many power skating drills and am counted on to do so at my rink.

Regarding getting an even stiffer boot, maybe that's something I'll consider, I just want to squeeze another year out of these skates. I'll have to find a way to send them in for repairs, I don't mind the costs - it's just very difficult finding a period of time that I don't have to be on ice for any reason or another. I could use my old skates and put steel back into them but it's been so long I'm fearful of struggling to skate and I need to be accountable for my technique as I demonstrate many power skating drills and am counted on to do so at my rink.

I'm in the same boat. I'm in my skates at least 1-4 hours a day for at least 3 days of every week. I teach skating lessons, so it's important for me to have a reliable pair of skates. However, since I know VH Footwear skates are still in R&D, I bought a pair of back ups skates that aren't the greatest fit, but are there for emergency purposes only. So far, my plan has worked out great. Had to send back my skates for a few punch outs and to replace the tendon guard rivets, and I can't tell you how important it was for me to have a pair of skates to fall back on!

How often do NHLers get to change their skates in a season though? (I do not know the answer. Just throwing it out there.)

I guess I think of basketball shoes. I doubt most NBA players use one pair of shoes the whole season. From what I hear some players change shoes in games. By no means am I saying that basketball shoes or skates are or should be on the same durability level. They are indeed quite different. How often do most NHLers get to skate in a new pair of skates?

Certainly I had the option to send them back to Scott Van Horne for repairs but I can't even be two-days without my skates because of how much my job depends on them. Still, if these are the same skates being made for NHLers I'd expect them to stand up to the grind of coaching travel hockey and playing mens league.

Hello again guys,

Probably this asking is not suitable for this VH thread, but I'm so glad if there is someone who don't mind and answer me.

I'm finding some pictures about "bandage" when do heat molding for boots.

I want to get such pictures for explain.

Certainly I saw not a single numbers of that picture on this forum but now I can't find by search.

And additionally, I want to ask you that how do you feel VH's rivet loosening.

Do you think VH's rivet is easily loose?

Mimizk,

Careful when using the bandage wrap during heat fit. You run the risk of pulling the upper edges of the skate boot near the top of the ankle too far inwards and they'll dig into your foot or apply pressure.

This doesn't happen with a speed skate because of the lower cut boot (like a sneaker).

If this happens with hockey skate you can warm up this area with a hair drier and use your fingers to "roll" it back outwards.

Rivets are rivets. They're going to loosen on any skate over time. Factors that might increase the speed of rivets losening include a worn out or faulty die, a wrongly sized rivet, or improper pressure when riveting. It could also be the steel the rivet is made from - if it corrodes and the feet break from the rivet, it will come loose.

In my opinion there isn't a problem with the riveting on the VH skates. There might be one-off rivets because it's a hand-made product, but it shouldn't be a concern. Rivets are easy and uncostly to replace.

Thank you Ps12,

Yes, this is one of what I was looking for.

But if it possible, I think it's better rather there is photo or video which was taken hockey boots because I will explain with it for shop person.

Around my place, any shops don't know that method and many players skate with big opened boots.

To Davetronz,

Thank you for your advice,

On the otherhand, I will order next VH boots 1degree plus forward.

I think so too that forwarding capacity is important for hockey boots.

For example in Bauer boots, it has thicker and softer sole so rivet bite it better.

But thinner sole like VH or Easton is not the same.

Its sole is very solid and it's difficult to bite.

Of course you are right and I agree with the point that rivet is cheap and replaceable easily.

But now I've stopped using suitable size rivet for preventing sole damage.

I'm using long foot rivet.

Careful when using the bandage wrap during heat fit. You run the risk of pulling the upper edges of the skate boot near the top of the ankle too far inwards and they'll dig into your foot or apply pressure.

This doesn't happen with a speed skate because of the lower cut boot (like a sneaker).

If this happens with hockey skate you can warm up this area with a hair drier and use your fingers to "roll" it back outwards.

Great tip! I noticed on my right skate was curved too far inward (baked with a wrap), and I had a small pinch near the inside ankle. Just took a blow dryer to it and pulled it out a bit. Hopefully, this'll alleviate the pressure.

Edited by mc88

Also Jets, Trouba, Stuart, and Peluso. Just spotted Cody Eakin with Dallas. Kulikov still wearing VH, has been since late last season. I think it's new with Hannan. Pictures I've seen show him in Nexus last year.

Any new NHL players skating in VH skates? It looked as though Rene Bourque was wearing them against Washington tonight.

I just noticed Bourque wearing them against the Flyers a few minutes ago.

For those who own VH skates and have had vapor's in the past, is the boot pitch (angle of the forward lean of the boot, not pitch of the holder) similar or more aggressive than vapors? I personally really like the boot pitch of the vapor's and I'm considering purchasing a pair of VH skates. Is this something that can be customized?

For those who own VH skates and have had vapor's in the past, is the boot pitch (angle of the forward lean of the boot, not pitch of the holder) similar or more aggressive than vapors? I personally really like the boot pitch of the vapor's and I'm considering purchasing a pair of VH skates. Is this something that can be customized?

From my experience, neutral, like a Supreme. Also, confirmed by an earlier post by Flyers10...

When I asked Scott this he replied the VH boot is neutral.

If you want the boot to be pitched forward, then you'll have to add shims. Take a look at some of Mimizk's posts for more info:

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/63437-vh-footwear/page-22#entry1001984

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/63437-vh-footwear/page-22#entry1002248

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/63437-vh-footwear/page-22#entry1002862

Edited by mc88

About the difference of angles of the ankle between 2 different boots, VH and Vapor,

I think VH is more aggressive than Vapor.

This thinking is based on their design and Scott's comment.

VH's boots are designed with aggressive forward angle than the other boots but I don't know what their specifically numbers of the angle.

I'm thinking I will ask Scott to add 1degree plus for angle of the ankle when I will order my new skates next year.

But I don't know he really can do such this customization.

Edited by Mimizk

If you want the boot to be pitched forward, then you'll have to add shims. Take a look at some of Mimizk's posts for more info:

I add shims anyway, but still prefer an agressive pitch boot and then add a shim as well.

About the difference of angles of the ankle between 2 different boots, VH and Vapor,

I think VH is more aggressive than Vapor.

This thinking is based on their design and Scott's comment.

VH's boots are designed with aggressive forward angle than the other boots but I don't know what their specifically numbers of the angle.

I'm thinking I will ask Scott to add 1degree plus for angle of the ankle when I will order my new skates next year.

But I don't know he really can do such this customization.

I got them same general response from Scott but nothing specific, so thats why I would ask to see if someone has had firsthand experience with both skates.

I'm satisfied with 3mm heel lift shims, +2 blade pitch and racing open 1 eyelet.

Also adding medial shims but this is no meanings for these talk.

I race the boots with standing finally.

Toward shins and make a knob at side.

I've used X:60 before changing to VH though, now I feel more better.