Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Looks like Scott updated the website with new look, videos, etc.

Must have updated some of the speed skating pages because the hockey portion looks unchanged.

On a side note, I got my first "How do you like the VH skates?" question from a random hockey guy who seemed to notice them while I was out skating during a busy public session. Seems like the word be spreadin'. They're becoming more and more recognizable!

There's a new dedicated VH Hockey page now. It's the one that's linked to the ads that have started showing up here, which is another thing itself--they're definitely investing in growth at this point.

Is that the toe coating SVH put on, or is that something you did yourself?

Did it myself about 2 weeks ago (when I ordered these back in January, I didn't know about the coated toe):

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/63437-vh-footwear/page-34#entry1016576

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/63437-vh-footwear/page-34#entry1017112

Looks like I'll need to apply some Dip Coat protection spray, heh.

Edited by mc88

Why are the screws different??

Lost one awhile ago and replaced it with a helmet screw. Since I lost it, I cranked down on the screws and haven't had any screws coming loose since.

• Like 1

Lost one awhile ago and replaced it with a helmet screw. Since I lost it, I cranked down on the screws and haven't had any screws coming loose since.

I would have made both screws the same but I'm a bit OCD with that kind of stuff. :)

BTW, why cover the toe caps? Is it for the look or is there a practical reason?

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 1

BTW, why cover the toe caps? Is it for the look or is there a practical reason?

Protects the toecap from exactly what you can see to the plastidip.

Protects the toecap from exactly what you can see to the plastidip.

But the VH toe caps are thick, hard and seem very tough to me... a lot tougher than Plastidip, anyway. After a season and a half, mine are in very good condition except for a few nicks and scratches that any other skate's toe cap would have. Anything that can barely damage VH toe caps will destroy a rubber coating like Plastidip. It's like asking Woody Allen to be Mike Tyson's bodyguard. I think you're over-thinking this, but if tinkering makes you happy, don't let me stop you.

I don't expect to withstand heavy "punches," but dispersing the occasional jab would be nice (that's my primary concern, small rubbing and scrapes over a long period of time that can wear down the structural integrity of the carbon fiber) . I don't think you're giving it, the Plastidip, enough credit. From what I can tell, the reason why it's splitting is that it has a rough textured outside. So any sort of rubbing or scraping would be like taking a piece of 220 grit sandpaper to wood. Hopefully, with the Dip Coat spray it'll make it smoother/more resistant to the scrapes. Otherwise, I'll scrap the idea and instead do what the car guys do and add a sealant layer over the top.

Like maintaining a car... ignore it and hope it doesn't break down... or small maintenance over a long period of time to reduce failure.

Edited by mc88

Getting frustrated with rivets loosening or popping out on a regular basis. Seems like 1-2 times a month replacing them. Though I love the fit, thinking of going to mako 2's or try another brand to not have such high maintenance and ongoing costs.

Getting frustrated with rivets loosening or popping out on a regular basis. Seems like 1-2 times a month replacing them. Though I love the fit, thinking of going to mako 2's or try another brand to not have such high maintenance and ongoing costs.

I hear ya, I have the same issue with my VH (just over a year now / 2-3 games & reffing a week on average). I will try using the old MLX screws I kept next before deciding to get another pair or not. Still think the VH are so comfortable, that going to another brand will be almost impossible due to a big bone near the big toe.

Not sure why everyone is having so many issues with rivets.

I've had a couple pop, but that's normal for any skate with me.

Maybe it was a bad, low quality batch of rivets.

Nice, I remember Keith's name popping up, either from SVH mentioning him in a video or reading about a trial pair coming his way. We'll see if it sticks. A few of this year's VH guys have switched back out--Bourque and Eakin in particular.

• Like 1

Nice, I remember Keith's name popping up, either from SVH mentioning him in a video or reading about a trial pair coming his way. We'll see if it sticks. A few of this year's VH guys have switched back out--Bourque and Eakin in particular.

Apparently it didn't last long - he switched back to X90 during the game :)