Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

4 hours ago, Zac911 said:

This is exactly what I experienced as well.  In all my years of playing I have been trying to get this feel from my skates-  Comfort,  Fit,  Balance and Range of Motion-  You just point them where you want to go and they GO.  

They're so damn comfortable and this is no lie.............a guy in our League claims he slept in his when he got them! We have 14 guys here in our League in Qatar in them and we all say the same thing. I even went back to flopping my tongues which I haven't done in ages. All these years I thought I had a good fit in whatever I was skating in but in reality I didn't. A lot to be said for the 3D scan.

Just an update on my situation. Tried my skates on again after a total of four bakes (right skate only), and still isn't feeling right. It actually feels worse than I think after the very first bake. I've done all the recommended things True has advised of through my communication with them via email. Everything from clamp, to tensor to insole/ footbed combinations. 

At this point I am at a loss of what to do. I personally don't think this much tinkering and remoulding should be required for a custom boot that's 1000$.  The left skates fit great after one bake so i know it isn't my expectations that are high. 

I've contacted True regarding my thoughts and concerns regarding a rescan/remake of the right skate, or even a refund. I'd hate to ultimately lose the skates because I believe they are the best in the market right now in terms of comfort and performance. But I won't settle for a sub par fitting right skate for the price point. 

I'll keep you guys updated. 

Did you tell True you pronate significantly on the right foot? I have seen earlier in the thread they will make allowances for this by building up the arch a little more. However that may not be your only issue, if the holder isn't mounted at least dead center (and even 1mm off center to the outside makes a big difference here) then your foot collapse will be exaggerated. Ideally you would have asked them to move the holder inwards by 1mm off the center line, it makes such a difference to your pronation and how the skates feel on your feet. 1mm may not be the amount you need to achieve perfect balance but it is a good start and in my experience of fitting skates it addresses around 90% of people with pronation, or at least getting them to a place where they can skate comfortably.

18 hours ago, Reddevilpara said:

They're so damn comfortable and this is no lie.............a guy in our League claims he slept in his when he got them! We have 14 guys here in our League in Qatar in them and we all say the same thing. I even went back to flopping my tongues which I haven't done in ages. All these years I thought I had a good fit in whatever I was skating in but in reality I didn't. A lot to be said for the 3D scan.

Alot ot be said for a hand laid carbon fiber skate made for YOUR foot.  :)

#madeinCanada

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Just an update on my situation. Tried my skates on again after a total of four bakes (right skate only), and still isn't feeling right. It actually feels worse than I think after the very first bake. I've done all the recommended things True has advised of through my communication with them via email. Everything from clamp, to tensor to insole/ footbed combinations. 

At this point I am at a loss of what to do. I personally don't think this much tinkering and remoulding should be required for a custom boot that's 1000$.  The left skates fit great after one bake so i know it isn't my expectations that are high. 

I've contacted True regarding my thoughts and concerns regarding a rescan/remake of the right skate, or even a refund. I'd hate to ultimately lose the skates because I believe they are the best in the market right now in terms of comfort and performance. But I won't settle for a sub par fitting right skate for the price point. 

I'll keep you guys updated. 

I'm sure they will get it worked out with you.

I am at odds that many tolerate a far worse fit at the same price from the big dogs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zac911 said:

I'm sure they will get it worked out with you.

I am at odds that many tolerate a far worse fit at the same price from the big dogs.

Probably because they don't know any better/ are used to it. And the big names don't have to guarantee anything since they arent custom made for the individual. The only good thing about the big brands is you can at least try the skates on to get a sense of what you are dealing with. I kind of worried about not know what I was getting into with True/vh and my worst nightmare might be coming true. No pun intended 

5 hours ago, Zac911 said:

#madeinCanada

After being in these a week I have come to realize no other skate I've ever had actually fit properly. It's an amazing skate. I can't say enough good things about it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reddevilpara said:

After being in these a week I have come to realize no other skate I've ever had actually fit properly. It's an amazing skate. I can't say enough good things about it!

I remember when I got my Makos (I know this is a VH thread but the same thing applies) I had teammates ask me if I took skating lessons because I was much better all of a sudden. I was like “no, I just have skates that don’t hurt for the first time ever...”

Amazing what skates that fit perfectly can do for you. The difference between VH and Mako was almost as much as the difference between Mako and everything else. 

The moment I can justify new skates I’ll be upgrading my VH with Bauer cowlings to True 2-piece.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zac911 said:

#madeinCanada

Sort of like what Bauer and CCM have been doing for years.

Not knocking True, just adding context.

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

I didn't know Bauer and CCM did full custom? I'd only ever seen options for sizing and various other customizations. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

Yeah, Bauer and CCM have been doing it for years, I've been in them since they started doing it. I was in Jet Speeds last season. Nothing I've ever skated in has fit like the True/VH. Nothing has been as responsive. I'm not knocking Bauer or CCM they make a great product, but my experience with the True/VH is I have something that fits everywhere and I have a better range of motion than I have ever had. I'm old enough to have stated in Black Panthers, then 92s, 96s, 100, 1000's 2000's, 5000's, 7000's Vapor 8's etc etc etc and again,  my experience is I have never had a better skate. I worked for The Phoenix Coyotes and was able to get Pro Stock and they didn't match this skate. But as I said everyone will have a different take/experience. The best skate is the one that is the best for you.

Edited by Reddevilpara
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I remember when I got my Makos (I know this is a VH thread but the same thing applies) I had teammates ask me if I took skating lessons because I was much better all of a sudden. I was like “no, I just have skates that don’t hurt for the first time ever...”

Amazing what skates that fit perfectly can do for you. The difference between VH and Mako was almost as much as the difference between Mako and everything else. 

The moment I can justify new skates I’ll be upgrading my VH with Bauer cowlings to True 2-piece.

Comfort is one thing;  however,  there is a little more to it than that.  There are some biomechanics at play here.  Many skates put you in a quad dominant position which creates many challenges. :)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Probably because they don't know any better/ are used to it. And the big names don't have to guarantee anything since they arent custom made for the individual. The only good thing about the big brands is you can at least try the skates on to get a sense of what you are dealing with. I kind of worried about not know what I was getting into with True/vh and my worst nightmare might be coming true. No pun intended 

If you have exhausted the after bake options to customize your fit they will remake one time only.  You will need to be very specific with your communication to help the factory dial in the fit ( in regards to the shortcomings on your right boot? ).  It's not a nightmare at all-  Sometimes it's a process.  The carnage I have seen caused by traditionally made boots oth is an entirely different conversation.  This plus the fact that a " custom " from someone else offers no after sale support.

Remember guys-  These are hand laid carbon fiber orthopedic devices for your feet.  These are not high polish,  stamped out en masse with huge profit margins.  For many skate companies the two most important factors are scalability and profitability.  When Scott first set out to design a better skate profitability was low on the list-  He had to figure that out along the way.  

Edited by Zac911
spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zac911 said:

Comfort is one thing;  however,  there is a little more to it than that.  There are some biomechanics at play here.  Many skates put you in a quad dominant position which creates many challenges. :)

Maybe, but I’m sure not being in constant pain did more for me than anything else ;)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Zac911 said:

Can you elaborate on the difference of positioning between True and quad-dominant skates?

My favorite skates have been Graf 703's which are cut about the same height as the MLX I have, but with more forward pitch and a very flared ankle for maximum range of motion. I've been wondering if Van Horne's hockey boots are too geared toward snagging Bauer and CCM skaters than Graf lovers like myself.

8 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Can you elaborate on the difference of positioning between True and quad-dominant skates?

My favorite skates have been Graf 703's which are cut about the same height as the MLX I have, but with more forward pitch and a very flared ankle for maximum range of motion. I've been wondering if Van Horne's hockey boots are too geared toward snagging Bauer and CCM skaters than Graf lovers like myself.

Personally, I don't think you can compare the VH skates to any of the big brands out there in terms of fit etc... 

17 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Maybe, but I’m sure not being in constant pain did more for me than anything else ;)

It does make me wonder why for many we just passively accepted skates that progressively have gotten worse. :)

14 minutes ago, flip12 said:

I don't think Scott has ever really paid much attention to them.  His interest was in evolving fit and the skaters performance.  You can't do that paying attention to all exterior noise. 

What was the famous Henry Ford quote? " If I would have listened to my customers they would have asked for faster horses "

I am sure someone will take that quote the wrong way ( purely for context of course ),  but something along those lines.

25 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Anyone here order an extra set of tongues, and know how much they would be?

I think an extra set is $40  when you order with the skates.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zac911 said:

What was the famous Henry Ford quote? " If I would have listened to my customers they would have asked for faster horses "

I am sure someone will take that quote the wrong way ( purely for context of course ),  but something along those lines.

Purpose of the quote in this context is quite illustrative, but attribution to Ford (assuming Henry Ford) is arguable at best.

7 hours ago, Bizz22 said:

I think an extra set is $40  when you order with the skates.

After initial delivery of skates, I paid $80 dollars for Thick felt, lace bite guard, custom embroidery.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, greyskull said:

After initial delivery of skates, I paid $80 dollars for Thick felt, lace bite guard, custom embroidery.

You find the thick felt limited range of motion? And also fit of the skate?  And did you have to rebake due to the thicker tongue. 

Edited by Sniper9

13 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Purpose of the quote in this context is quite illustrative, but attribution to Ford (assuming Henry Ford) is arguable at best.

Yes.  That's what we do here apparently... We look for any small thread on the sweater and then pull until everybody is laughing and pointing fingers and someone is crying.

Edited by Zac911
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/18/2017 at 8:47 PM, Sniper9 said:

Personally, I don't think you can compare the VH skates to any of the big brands out there in terms of fit etc... 

Neither do I.

Skaters in True that have come over from Bauer and skipped eyelets in Bauer still skip eyelets in True boots. Some skip eyelets in True boots where they didn't in previous skates. I think that's a credit to True, achieving a sufficiently supportive fit without making the boots as high as other brands, yet I think it also shows there's room for an even more aggressive cut to the top of the skate.