Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Too bad the step holders didn't come in black. I actually like the step holder system of being able to access the hardware of the steel without a click system that can cause issues 

3 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Too bad the step holders didn't come in black. I actually like the step holder system of being able to access the hardware of the steel without a click system that can cause issues 

you mean like CCM's holder that is offered in black? 

6 minutes ago, adam14 said:

you mean like CCM's holder that is offered in black? 

Don't think I have seen True Skates with CCM holders yet. I hadn't thought about them as an option until you mentioned them. 

So, between Step Blacksteel and Step V-steel, which one would everybody suggest? Are there any benefits off the V-steel over Blacksteel or is it just really a matter of personal preference?  

Edited by chocks86

15 hours ago, chocks86 said:

So, between Step Blacksteel and Step V-steel, which one would everybody suggest? Are there any benefits off the V-steel over Blacksteel or is it just really a matter of personal preference?  

I have the Blacksteel and absolutely love it. I haven't used the regular V-steel, but I love the polished look of the blacksteel and it holds an edge way, way longer than my Bauer Steel. I hardly ever get rolled edges with the Step, so I think either way you're going to be satisfied with the product.

So I was able to test out my new setup and the blacksteel is Def smoother. The tuuk holders are also noticeably less forward pitched than the step holders. I actually think I prefer the more forward pitch of the step but I've user tuuks my whole life so there wasn't any adjustment issue but just my general feedback.

Anyone still running the stock footbeds and like them? I'm thinking of testing them out on the ice. I've only been using my superfeets so far. 

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Anyone still running the stock footbeds and like them? I'm thinking of testing them out on the ice. I've only been using my superfeets so far. 

I'm still using the stock footbeds with the red liner. I tried without the liner but ended up putting it back in. However, I cut a small section out of the red liner at the instep because I felt it pushing up a bit on my low arch. I thought about trying Speedplates to get the fully molded experience but my feet feel secure on the stock footbeds.

53 minutes ago, Swlabr11 said:

I’ve only used the stock footbeds. I may try superfeet in the future but for the time being I’m happy. 

I’ve used the stock footbeds for the past 2 years with no issues. I think the skates were intended to be used with them. Like most things in Hockey it all boils down to personel preferance. Try them out, ou may like them but as always go with what works. 

On 4/17/2013 at 2:08 PM, smcgreg said:

Yeah, but can you even get sprungs anymore? I e-mailed them with no reply a while back.

Re: weight. Funny, I got slammed a few weeks ago for arguing weight mattered. Oh well.

Well I'm gonna gonna say in my experience weight of skates one brand to the next is not a variable that affects performance.  Equipment above the knees yes . The difference you are talking about is small when you put the difference in the palm of your hand.   To me if a skate has the fit and mobility and is a little bit heavier so what the pros will make up for it . I'm looking forward to holding a VH skate  . I' m hoping the mobility lacking in other brands will be in these skates 

On 4/18/2013 at 9:24 AM, vhfootwear said:

Hi, I’d like to address some questions/comments that have come up regarding the VH hockey skate - hopefully I'm doing this correctly - first time.....:

Aireaye, you are right on the ball, you can do much great customization with the monocoque process, including customizing the toe box for Hallux (big toe) deformaties. Our current model has the toe box as part of the monocoque boot body. Our production model skate, down the road, will have a plastic toe cap as this allows for more consistent, streamlined mass production.

Deathtron, 520 grams is without the blade and holder, with the blade, holder,rivets etc. the weight is 765grams. This is in the ball park of the lighter Bauer and CCM models. I just wanted people to know the weight, I wasn’t trying to say this is the lightest – sorry for the confusion on that. Regarding durability, we have an impactor devise that was originally designed for testing the durability of speed skate blades, and with this apparatus we can attach a puck to the bottom of it and create the kinetic energy of a slap shot (whatever speed we want). In the early stages we used this to specifically tailor the composite layering to withstand certain impacts in certain areas dependant on the frequency of impacts in that area. Then we tested on ice. So far so good, but in a sport where a 100 mph frozen piece of rubber can potentially hit your foot in any spot it is impossible to full protect the foot and retain mold-ability and functional flex throughout the entire boot.

Neo5370, with our custom boot we can fit any foot shape. We tailor the shape of the foot last to your foot tracing.

Laserrobottime, we haven’t made a pair yet for a referee, but we certainly could. With the monocoque process we have the ability to modify the composite layering and the thermoplastic integration. Therefore, we could make the skate less stiff and with more thermoplastic. Meaning, it would be less protective and it would weigh more, but it would mold better and flex more, ultimately making it super comfortable.

Althoma1, I totally agree with your weight comment: fit and function and performance are way more important than saving 100 grams on your feet. I actually did a paper back when I was doing my graduate degree that analysed the effect of 150 grams on skating acceleration and velocity, and if I remember correctly, the effect was almost negligible for a hockey player fully suited up.

Great stuff.  I'm 50 played most of my life.  What I miss is the ease of forward flex that was in hockey skates,  when they got that crease just under the ankle.  The boot didn't dominate my movement.  Also I'm out of the player norm .huge guy .   Im hoping your skates have addressed that forward movement.    I am looking forward to skating on them 

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Stock footbeds for me also. Just to see the difference I put my Superfeet in and went for a rip but put  the stock footbed with red liner back in. I've had no issue with my skates yet. They were perfect from the get go.

Edited by Reddevilpara

I used the stock footbeds for around 20 games, they are moulded to your foot but having flat feet I was getting blisters in my arch.

Usually use superfeet but tried grafs, I like them way better than stock.  My old superfeet looked too thin when I got them inside the boot, I could see the red liner on both sides.

So just an update on my wait for my True skates to arrive. I was scanned on 11/3/17 and was told 6-8 weeks roughly based on being in season and they wanted to give a bigger time frame if needed. Which I was ok with and understood. Contacted the store again to get an update as I have not heard anything and received this dreadful email:

"Hi,

Sorry for getting back to late, there was an issue with your scan being emailed to true. We sent it but they never received it, it was an issue they where having on there end. I re-sent your scan and had a vh rep on the phone to make sure they got it. It was sent last week and the women on the phone told me 3weeks and it will be shipped. Again I apologize for the inconvenience and the late response."

To say I am not pleased is an understatement. Whether True didn't receive it for whatever reason, or it wasn't sent immediately I don't know. But at this point the season will be almost over and the skates have been paid in full already.

Howdy,

3 minutes ago, Buddy said:

So just an update on my wait for my True skates to arrive. I was scanned on 11/3/17 and was told 6-8 weeks roughly based on being in season and they wanted to give a bigger time frame if needed. Which I was ok with and understood. Contacted the store again to get an update as I have not heard anything and received this dreadful email:

"Hi,

Sorry for getting back to late, there was an issue with your scan being emailed to true. We sent it but they never received it, it was an issue they where having on there end. I re-sent your scan and had a vh rep on the phone to make sure they got it. It was sent last week and the women on the phone told me 3weeks and it will be shipped. Again I apologize for the inconvenience and the late response."

To say I am not pleased is an understatement. Whether True didn't receive it for whatever reason, or it wasn't sent immediately I don't know. But at this point the season will be almost over and the skates have been paid in full already.

That sucks a lot.  :-(

Call True directly?  I would expect a fuck up like this to result in you going immediately to the front of the line.  There's no way it actually takes them 3 weeks to make a pair of skates.

Mark

25 minutes ago, Buddy said:

"Hi,

Yea that does suck. There must have been something wrong when everyone around you received their skates in 3-4 weeks and you were still waiting around. Nothing you can really do about it now I guess.... Let's just hope the wait was worth it in the end 😊

23 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Call True directly?  I would expect a fuck up like this to result in you going immediately to the front of the line.  There's no way it actually takes them 3 weeks to make a pair of skates.

Mark

I contacted True twice to get an update on the order. Both times they said to contact the authorized dealer. In which I did and it took a few times unfortunately to hear back. If they would have responded sooner, this would have been caught. Where the mix-up lies doesn't matter at this point. But I hope True sees something like this as an opportunity to improve their sales order process.  An email to the customer notifying them that their scan has been received would be good. Along with some sort of tracking program, or email notification that they have been shipped etc...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Honestly, even if placed at the front of the line, three weeks doesn't sound unreasonable. If that includes shipping, it's actually impressive. 

5 hours ago, Buddy said:

I contacted True twice to get an update on the order. Both times they said to contact the authorized dealer. In which I did and it took a few times unfortunately to hear back. If they would have responded sooner, this would have been caught. Where the mix-up lies doesn't matter at this point. But I hope True sees something like this as an opportunity to improve their sales order process.  An email to the customer notifying them that their scan has been received would be good. Along with some sort of tracking program, or email notification that they have been shipped etc...

Is the retailer Pro Hockey Life?