Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

2 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

You can but they have to be shipped to the store of purchase then shipped to you.

So that’d add extra costs?  I’m very close to the Windsor area, and maybe I’m only assuming there are better options there 

41 minutes ago, Stewie said:

So that’d add extra costs?  I’m very close to the Windsor area, and maybe I’m only assuming there are better options there 

Well if you are close I would just go back to pick them up. 

32 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Distance wise from my house, the two closest fit centers are both in Windsor (Brian’s and pro hockey life). Both about 12 mile drives, but everything depends on traffic 

Edited by Stewie

5 hours ago, Stewie said:

I'd go to Brian's!

36 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

I'd go to Brian's!

Thank you for the recommendation! I figured that would be where I go as I’ve heard good about them in the past.

Im considering custom skates towards the end of summer (perhaps July to avoid a rush of orders), because Im never quite without pain or movement. The Supreme fit was the closest but it wasnt deep enough, and my current tacks arent quite wide enough and some other weird points in them. Has anyone had any premature wear issued with their Trues? I remember the CCM RBZ skates were horrible for falling apart and not sure if thats true of CCM now or True. Im not sold on anything yet and sitll considering between the Bauers, CCMs, and or Trues with no real idea which way to go. 

5 minutes ago, Cove said:

Im considering custom skates towards the end of summer (perhaps July to avoid a rush of orders), because Im never quite without pain or movement. The Supreme fit was the closest but it wasnt deep enough, and my current tacks arent quite wide enough and some other weird points in them. Has anyone had any premature wear issued with their Trues? I remember the CCM RBZ skates were horrible for falling apart and not sure if thats true of CCM now or True. Im not sold on anything yet and sitll considering between the Bauers, CCMs, and or Trues with no real idea which way to go. 

I've owned true and CCM within the last couple of years. I haven't owned Bauer's since my one100s about 8 years ago so I can't comment on them.  The trues are by far more durable than the ccm As1s.  The as1s are nice skates but they aren't worth the price point Imo.  I play about once a week and in three mths the ccms show way more wear than my trues did in 1.5 years. 

But do your own research and at the end of the day the best fit is really all that matters. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cove said:

7 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I've owned true and CCM within the last couple of years. I haven't owned Bauer's since my one100s about 8 years ago so I can't comment on them.  The trues are by far more durable than the ccm As1s.  The as1s are nice skates but they aren't worth the price point Imo.  I play about once a week and in three mths the ccms show way more wear than my trues did in 1.5 years. 

But do your own research and at the end of the day the best fit is really all that matters. 

There is a difference between "showing more wear" and breaking down prematurely.  A friend of mine did a pair of full custom CCM Jetspeed FT1s right when CCM announced they were doing custom skates.  I sharpen his skates for him and while yes they do mark up easily they are far from prematurely breaking down.  They are still as solid as the day he got them.  He skates about 3 times a week.

7 minutes ago, strosedefence34 said:

There is a difference between "showing more wear" and breaking down prematurely.  A friend of mine did a pair of full custom CCM Jetspeed FT1s right when CCM announced they were doing custom skates.  I sharpen his skates for him and while yes they do mark up easily they are far from prematurely breaking down.  They are still as solid as the day he got them.  He skates about 3 times a week.

So every skate breaks down and I believe the comment was that the CCM skates has show more wear. Never said they were more broken down.  

However at 3 times a week for the period of time your friend has had them they cant be as solid as they day he got them, but I think we get the point. 😉

• Like 1

I dont want to be hijacking, but performance between True, Bauer, and CCM... negligible? 

25 minutes ago, Cove said:

I dont want to be hijacking, but performance between True, Bauer, and CCM... negligible? 

Depends who you ask, and what your definition of "performance" is. What is the criteria? 

5 hours ago, Cove said:

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Depends who you ask, and what your definition of "performance" is. What is the criteria? 

I have to agree. I will also add that its a matter of opinion Is BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche or Tesla better than one another? 

8 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

So every skate breaks down and I believe the comment was that the CCM skates has show more wear. Never said they were more broken down.  

However at 3 times a week for the period of time your friend has had them they cant be as solid as they day he got them, but I think we get the point. 😉

I agree with this. As someone who owns a shop that caters to a lot of players of all levels, who prefer to purchase a high volume of custom skates. In my experience, Bauer and CCM do show wear more rapidly than TRUE. There is a significant difference in the materials used between each of the companies and I dont consider one better than another in regards to performance. However, the best skate for each individual is the brand that fits the customer the best and provides them with the performance and feel they are expecting. 

15 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I am not sure I would agree the AS1 is not worth its price point. If the skate fits the player properly, provides the performance they are expecting and the player is ok with the skate maybe not lasting as long as other brands then I think it's fine for them.

Let's be honest, 90% of people who buy custom skates at the retail stores do not require a skate of that level its utterly a waste of money unless they need something custom because they have specific needs due to their feet dynamics.

I would even be bold enough to say that most people buying custom skates are actually doing more harm than good as they cannot even take advantage of the stiffness of a custom skate as they just dont have the skating ability. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I am not sure I would agree the AS1 is not worth its price point. If the skate fits the player properly, provides the performance they are expecting and the player is ok with the skate maybe not lasting as long as other brands then I think it's fine for them.

Let's be honest, 90% of people who buy custom skates at the retail stores do not require a skate of that level its utterly a waste of money unless they need something custom because they have specific needs due to their feet dynamics.

I would even be bold enough to say that most people buying custom skates are actually doing more harm than good as they cannot even take advantage of the stiffness of a custom skate as they just dont have the skating ability. 

The only time I’ve truly enjoyed skates as an adult were customs. I can tie them on nice and tight and skate longer without my feet being in pain after. Also, would a custom TotalOne be any stiffer then a retail TotalOne? You’re changing shape and liners maybe your name.  I don’t think your point of people needing skates like that holds. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I agree with this. As someone who owns a shop that caters to a lot of players of all levels, who prefer to purchase a high volume of custom skates. In my experience, Bauer and CCM do show wear more rapidly than TRUE. There is a significant difference in the materials used between each of the companies and I dont consider one better than another in regards to performance. However, the best skate for each individual is the brand that fits the customer the best and provides them with the performance and feel they are expecting. 

I spoke with a skate tech from a shop I used to work at and he claimed the Trues broke down quickest. Also, if I’m going custom they’re all going to fit the same as they’ll be catered to my foot. I loved how I skated on my old total one MX3s but they weren’t quite deep enough. I don’t remember much about when I had my custom x60s but I remember thinking they were a hair stiff but I didn’t keep them long as I had to sell them for reasons. As a shop owner if I’m willing to pay for any of them as a custom would you suggest any of the custom options Over any other?

2 hours ago, Cove said:

I spoke with a skate tech from a shop I used to work at and he claimed the Trues broke down quickest. Also, if I’m going custom they’re all going to fit the same as they’ll be catered to my foot. I loved how I skated on my old total one MX3s but they weren’t quite deep enough. I don’t remember much about when I had my custom x60s but I remember thinking they were a hair stiff but I didn’t keep them long as I had to sell them for reasons. As a shop owner if I’m willing to pay for any of them as a custom would you suggest any of the custom options Over any other?

Interesting.  Where is your friends shop? Is he True dealer? I would get color and tongue embroidery.  

6 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Interesting.  Where is your friends shop? Is he True dealer? I would get color and tongue embroidery.  

I won’t say which shop but yes. 

12 hours ago, Cove said:

I won’t say which shop but yes. 

Awesome a True dealer that doesnt push the product. 😜 Being one of the first this was an issue I knew would happen because some stores although wanted to be dealers to say they were, just didnt bother selling any or very little after they got it. 

I just think it's kinda funny as CCM basically ripped off the True program using the same company and bauer's well it is what it is. 

Anyway back to the True skate thread enough of the hijacking! Hahahaha

Even after baking several times and clamping, I still have next to 0 heel-lock on my right skate, which is sad since my left skate fits so well. The whole reason I got TRUE's was to try and get heel-lock that both Bauer and CCM didn't give me. I would've thought that a complete custom like TRUE would fit snugger than the 2 retails.

38 minutes ago, Caldinda said:

Even after baking several times and clamping, I still have next to 0 heel-lock on my right skate, which is sad since my left skate fits so well. The whole reason I got TRUE's was to try and get heel-lock that both Bauer and CCM didn't give me. I would've thought that a complete custom like TRUE would fit snugger than the 2 retails.

How old are your skates? Get them to remake. The right 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

How old are your skates? Get them to remake. The right 

6 months old, The LHS is still trying to fiddle with little adjustments before I go that route, just to dot the I's and cross the T's. But that is probably my next step. Just curious thou, what are the odds that a wrong skate is sent to a person? Either the wrong physical skate or a wrong scan to start with? The skate never felt anything close to my foot, so just curious.

9 minutes ago, Caldinda said:

6 months old, The LHS is still trying to fiddle with little adjustments before I go that route, just to dot the I's and cross the T's. But that is probably my next step. Just curious thou, what are the odds that a wrong skate is sent to a person? Either the wrong physical skate or a wrong scan to start with? The skate never felt anything close to my foot, so just curious.

Only had it happen once in 900 pairs. And it was a father son thing. Dad got sons and sons  dads!