Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

One good reason for lace-bite, in my opinion, is that you may need a more forward (+ plus pitch). I found that problem on the Bauer, but given a good suggestion I had my blades profiled for a higher pitch and it worked. I am not fighting to force my foot into the laces in order to get over my toes for a quick start or whatever.

Depending upon your body-build you may have the same problem that I had and If the pitch is higher you are all ready in the proper position with regard to the laces to take those first hard strides where it hurts most people then just hurts all the time.

I saw an article where another solution was to have your holders mounted as far back on the boot as possible which would tend to compensate like the higher pitch.

Good luck, I know what it feels like and trying to mask it with different tongues or stuffing the area with rubber etc.

Alan

Hi all, just an update. I've had my VHs for maybe 20 months now, and they're easily the best pair of skates I've had. My tendon guards are starting to break down, but given they see the ice 3-4 times a week I have no complaints. Will be ordering pair #2 shortly..

I have put in 12 orders in the last 10 days you may want to get it in quick Pro guys from Euro's to NHL are ordering in record numbers. Fitted another HHOF player on Saturday that's 3 now. 

Lots of NCAA and so on in them as well. They really are taking off! Won't be long though and Bauer and CCM will bring out something to compare.

Prety sure VH has a couple tricks coming that will help keep them ahead...in the fit area!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, orlandkurtenbach said:

Saw a comment on Twitter recently about some things to look out for going forward for VH. Any word on 3D scanning at the retail level in the near future?

So far 57 fits with the scanner in Toronto area. Not sure what guys are getting them. They are not cheap thats for sure!

23 hours ago, orlandkurtenbach said:

Saw a comment on Twitter recently about some things to look out for going forward for VH. Any word on 3D scanning at the retail level in the near future?

3d "scanning" is going to be more available pretty soon. There are many systems already that use projection of geometrical shapes (lines and circles mostly) and taking a digital photo of that. I have played with HP Sprout with the 3d scanning option and I was pretty impressed. It is not there yet for a pocket device, but I won't be shocked to see next generation of phones capable of 3d modeling based on the same principle. It might bypass the retail and go straight to the end user.

• Like 1

https://dougie360.smugmug.com/Hockey/VH-Hockey/i-pN3DM77/A

Just got my pair.  Ordered July 4th, received August 3rd.  Replacing my 6 year old Graf 735s.  Swapped in my existing Step Steel runners with a combo radius of 8'/13' and FBV of 100/50.  Since I stayed with Cobra holders, didn't notice much difference switching over.  What I really do notice is how STIFF the VH are.  Almost like a ski boot.  Will have to play around with how tight I lace.  Baked in my home oven (convection setting) at about 190, (kept switching between 175 and 200 the only settings I had) and left in for about 12 minutes.  But 24 hours after baking, I stepped on the ice and stayed for 2 hours.  I could only manage 15 minutes when I had initially gotten my Grafs.  Amazing that out of the box these were pretty much good to go.  The stiffness though must account for the quick acceleration I'm feeling in my first 3 strides.  Just have to get used to skating in a much stiffer skate.  Like all others said before, great wrapping, a little harder putting them on and taking off.  Also noticed the screw holding my runner on my right skate loosened enough to give me a click sound when I was walking after skating 1 1/2 hours.  Never had that happen on my other Cobra holders.  May have to try Loctite.

- toe cap does not have that strange screw in the middle anymore.  nice.

- had assumed that I was paying CAD and was surprised to learn I would be paying the USD premium since "they are too small to deal with currency fluctuations..."

Edited by dougie360

Really heat the top 4 eyelids and put a puck in there to hold the area open. You will find it much easier to put on and off. Also go to good content laces and only do up snuggly.  And try one eyelid down should be able to get all the flexion you need. 

On 2016-08-05 at 9:37 AM, dougie360 said:

https://dougie360.smugmug.com/Hockey/VH-Hockey/i-pN3DM77/A

Just got my pair.  Ordered July 4th, received August 3rd.  Replacing my 6 year old Graf 735s.  Swapped in my existing Step Steel runners with a combo radius of 8'/13' and FBV of 100/50.  Since I stayed with Cobra holders, didn't notice much difference switching over.  What I really do notice is how STIFF the VH are.  Almost like a ski boot.  Will have to play around with how tight I lace.  Baked in my home oven (convection setting) at about 190, (kept switching between 175 and 200 the only settings I had) and left in for about 12 minutes.  But 24 hours after baking, I stepped on the ice and stayed for 2 hours.  I could only manage 15 minutes when I had initially gotten my Grafs.  Amazing that out of the box these were pretty much good to go.  The stiffness though must account for the quick acceleration I'm feeling in my first 3 strides.  Just have to get used to skating in a much stiffer skate.  Like all others said before, great wrapping, a little harder putting them on and taking off.  Also noticed the screw holding my runner on my right skate loosened enough to give me a click sound when I was walking after skating 1 1/2 hours.  Never had that happen on my other Cobra holders.  May have to try Loctite.

- toe cap does not have that strange screw in the middle anymore.  nice.

- had assumed that I was paying CAD and was surprised to learn I would be paying the USD premium since "they are too small to deal with currency fluctuations..."

Try skipping the 4th eyelet from the top until the boots soften a bit.

As for your Cobra holders clicking, are you using the two washers with your hardware?

• Like 1

New to the website and appreciative of the VH forum as I just ordered a pair for my son based on what I have read here.

We are waiting for new VH skates for one of my boys (with cobra holders).  He has numerous foot issues, including pronation, flat feet, narrow heels and low volume feet.  Has been wearing modified Graf 703's but they loosen up after a season from his feet pronating inside. We are giving VH a try, based on what I have read and from the communications back from the company.  Hoping to get the skates shortly to give them a try.  I will write a review after he spends some time on the ice with them.

if you don't mind, I want to put in a plug for Ian at Kennebec Skate Shop in Maine.  We went up there (a three hour drive) and he set us up with a demo pair of VH skates to try.  Reserved the ice for us so he could go and test them.  Son loved them.  Ian is very knowledgeable and even came in for us on his day off to get us fitted.  I know that Maine is not convenient for many people, but if you are in the area, he knows his hockey stuff and his VH skate stuff.

Regarding cobra holders clicking, my two boys have worn Graf for years, and as their "unpaid equipment manager/dad" I have dealt with many cobra blades coming loose.  Would always drive me crazy hearing them click on the ice.  I tried double washers, periodic tightening, etc.  What worked is a drop of blue Loctite on the threads before final assembly.  Don't need much but they stay tight after that.

On August 8, 2016 at 11:18 PM, mickz said:

Try skipping the 4th eyelet from the top until the boots soften a bit.

As for your Cobra holders clicking, are you using the two washers with your hardware?

Thanks Mickz, yes I have the two washers.  When I checked, they were both facing the same way, so I flipped one so that the grooves on the washers faced each other.   Didn't help- noticed the runner a little loose at the end of my game again.  

I read in another post someone had the same issue- and seemed related to the temperature.  So I tightened the screw as soon as I got off the ice.  Hopefully it will stay lit that after my next game.

On August 9, 2016 at 1:06 PM, hkyfn said:

New to the website and appreciative of the VH forum as I just ordered a pair for my son based on what I have read here.

We are waiting for new VH skates for one of my boys (with cobra holders).  He has numerous foot issues, including pronation, flat feet, narrow heels and low volume feet.  Has been wearing modified Graf 703's but they loosen up after a season from his feet pronating inside. We are giving VH a try, based on what I have read and from the communications back from the company.  Hoping to get the skates shortly to give them a try.  I will write a review after he spends some time on the ice with them.

if you don't mind, I want to put in a plug for Ian at Kennebec Skate Shop in Maine.  We went up there (a three hour drive) and he set us up with a demo pair of VH skates to try.  Reserved the ice for us so he could go and test them.  Son loved them.  Ian is very knowledgeable and even came in for us on his day off to get us fitted.  I know that Maine is not convenient for many people, but if you are in the area, he knows his hockey stuff and his VH skate stuff.

Regarding cobra holders clicking, my two boys have worn Graf for years, and as their "unpaid equipment manager/dad" I have dealt with many cobra blades coming loose.  Would always drive me crazy hearing them click on the ice.  I tried double washers, periodic tightening, etc.  What worked is a drop of blue Loctite on the threads before final assembly.  Don't need much but they stay tight after that.

Thanks for the tip!  Blue loctite is on my list,

On 8/9/2016 at 3:06 PM, hkyfn said:

Hope your son isn't still a little guy. If he is, it might be a problem getting him in and out of them. But since you tried some at a store I imagine you already now about the extra work required to get them on/off.

21 hours ago, AfftonDad said:

Hope your son isn't still a little guy. If he is, it might be a problem getting him in and out of them. But since you tried some at a store I imagine you already now about the extra work required to get them on/off.

He is a 17 year old, 6'3", 175 lb teenager so "on" and "off" should not be an issue.  The demo skates he tested were fine to get on and off.  They were not specifically made for him but the sizing was close so he is not worried about it. 

Ian told me, and I have seen posted here, that VH orders have gone way up recently.  Have to speculate it is due to Graf Canada stopping sales.  It seems that many Graf customers were buying their skates for the same reasons we were, abnormal feet that makes using conventional skates difficult to get the right fit in.  Graf was a lifesaver for us as we tried all other brands and nothing worked right.  VH seems to have an opportunity to step into the void left by Graf.  Of course we have had only one test skate session so the proof will come at the end of the season on fit and durability.  My son will be on the ice 4-5 times per week from September thru March so these skates will get tested.  Keeping our fingers crossed. 

Anyone see any issue with heating up the eyelet areas and opening them up a bit? I won't get as good of a wrap, but at this point I can't even get them on after recovering from the broken ankle. 

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Anyone see any issue with heating up the eyelet areas and opening them up a bit? I won't get as good of a wrap, but at this point I can't even get them on after recovering from the broken ankle. 

No issue, did mine when I first got them just to make on and off a little easier 

Here's a question to my fellow VH wearers. How's the length of your custom skates? Like, do the toes feather the toecaps? How do they fare in the pencil-behind-the-heel test?

With my foot on a footbed, this is what it looks like (VH insole left, Graf SIDAS right). Is it similar for you? Seems like a lot of space in the toecap.

insoles.jpg

After 3 years in my current pair, I'm planning on buying a new pair and was wondering whether this is typical of VH skates or if there is something a bit peculiar with my current pair that I should address to make sure my new pair is more normal.

Toebox is most likely a premanufactured part and would have a generic fit. My toe is 5mm longer than what you show which makes me get 1/2 size larger boot and it looks even more out of fit. Your looks pretty perfect.

The perks of being anal about measurements (the insoles are stock/unmodified--if I wore socks, it'd basically disappear--no fitment issues length-wise nor width-wise!):

lR7x019.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kgbeast said:

Toebox is most likely a premanufactured part and would have a generic fit. My toe is 5mm longer than what you show which makes me get 1/2 size larger boot and it looks even more out of fit. Your looks pretty perfect.

First, my toebox is a carbon fibre toebox that was custom shaped to accommodate the bumps on the outsides of my big toes.

Secondly, 1/2 size is 4-5mm. The insole on the right which is the smaller of the two extends 8mm beyond the toe. So when people talk about the ideal length having the toes feathering the inside of the toebox, that's far from my case. Obviously, they have to leave some margin of error for remote fitting. I'm just hoping other VH users will chime in for comparisons.