Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Mike2199

Wheel options/questions

I’ve had issues for years and years with grip for inline wheels.   I’m 38, so I’ve been playing for a while.  As a lighter player, around 150lbs, I’ve always used the softest wheels I could find, generally like a 74a.  They always work great when I get a new pair.  Stopping, starting, turning, cutting, it’s all there and I play my best hockey during these times.   However, after about 5-8 games, that outer layer of tackiness completely wears off, and then I can’t make the same cuts anymore, my acceleration starts to lack and I can’t make any hard stops without sliding a few feet.   It’s really frustrating.  I’ve been looking for a solution forever, that doesn’t require me to spend $90+ on a new set of wheels after every 8 games.   I’ve experimented trying different things.  Cleaning them, gets rid of some of the dust, but doesn’t really give me back that effect I want.  I’ve tried a few craft sprays, the Sonic Grip Juice and even tried hairspray due to its tackiness, but that actually made the wheel more slick.   

In short, has anyone else ran into this problem as frequently as I have, and has anyone come up with a “homemade” solution to re-add an outter layer of tackiness to get that grip back without shelling out a ton of money to keep replacing wheels?    I’m game for any options.   

Thanks. 

As an older gent like yourself but many many moons removed from weighing 150 lbs I can suggest we used Windex way back in my day to 'add grip'. I'll be honest its been a while and I don't remember if it actually worked or not but maybe give it a shot over a replacement set of wheels for $90?

Would also have to ask what wheels do you use, brand wise? What type of surface, etc.? Its been a while since I was on wheels but when I used to play I would try every wheel there was and I would always end up back with Labeda Addictions. 

I’ve used all the higher end wheels, from Revision, to Lebada to Rink Rat.   I’ve been playing on a sport court tile surface.   I’ve also tried windex.  Doesn’t really do much for the grip itself.   Just cleans the dust off the wheels to make it less worse.   

I've used various wheels over the years (Rink Rat, Revision ect.) and have found the Konixx Pure wheels to be more durable than average. They feel harder and faster, but still grip as well as other wheels. I've never had a hub separate (and have used Konixx for almost 2 years now), but I do get the small splits after a lot of use (I both ref and play year round; so use them A LOT). So I'd give those a shot if you haven't already. 

+1 for Konixx. I can point you to 220lb player who I supplied a lot of wheels to over the years. Anything he used he destroyed really fast as he is an aggressive elite player who skates inside heavy. Then I convinced him to pony up the extra cash for Konixx, night and day diff to addictions etc. Yes they are expensive but you pay for what you get. 

• Like 1

Just recently bought my first set of Konixx Pure wheels. They are what everybody says they are. Yeah they hit the wallet harder than other wheels would......but so far they are definitely worth it. 

• Like 2

what surface are you playing on?  it sounds like perhaps wood tile or something else that is tough on wheels as you should get much more life using 74a at your weight on most sport court.  if the floor is tough on wheels, id move to a single pour wheel like labeeda gripper.  you could probably stay at the 74a if you need that grip.

Just ordered some Konixx Pures (+2) based on the suggestion of one the referees in our league (pretty good player in his own also). He noticed that my wheels were too soft. Looking forward to slapping these bad boys on. Looks like I should like them instantly. 

• Like 1

Ok so I have  a 2nd pair of skates that I have donated to lady friend, now she enjoys skating and we have changed the laces and it has made an improvement over all to the skate. The next thing that need changing are the wheels which I'm guessing have been on there since they were made some years ago. Got some extra life out of them by rotating them. However. These skates are solely to  be used for recreational skating on concrete, no hockey. Can you recommend some decent wheels that will last a long time, or should we look into getting just some very firm wheels.

If you’re talking outdoor skating on pavement you’ll want a harder wheel made for use outdoors. Usually they would have a durometer rating 80a or higher.

I’d use the revision clinger outdoor wheels or labeda asphalts. Depending on how much you weigh you may be able to get away with indoor/outdoor wheels 78a rating 

So we got Lebeda Asphalts 80mm, and they are just that little to big, the wheels seem to be touching each other, is there anything that can be done to remedy this, asides send them back for a 78mm.

Issue solved, they are actually a Hi Lo set up. So one thing I'll look to do is take the wheel holder from another set of inlines and have them riveted onto her ones.

Edited by Left Wing King

Typically, the chassis is the setup for Hi-low, not as much the boot.  Although, some chassis might not be a perfect fit for different boots.  If you bring it somewhere they can line it up and let you know immediately if there's going to be a problem. 

Go for the pures while they are on sale!!!!! I am 205 skate on +2's and a borderline elite level, usually violent on wheels, with rotations on the pures I am fine for a few seasons which is unheard of for me. Go for a 0 or +1.

On 7/1/2019 at 11:38 PM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Just ordered some Konixx Pures (+2) based on the suggestion of one the referees in our league (pretty good player in his own also). He noticed that my wheels were too soft. Looking forward to slapping these bad boys on. Looks like I should like them instantly. 

Long overdue on the followup but I'm a huge fan of Pure (+2) and would highly suggest them! I do wonder how the new Pure X's compare though.

• Like 1