Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Hope they source tydan for their custom pros. Custom pros shouldn't have their stock steel imo

They have great places to source steel. Don't forget they have a huge golf program and have plenty of access to better quality steel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CigarScott said:

CCM bought Step so I doubt that they can get their hands on it for a reasonable wholesale price.

My understanding was that True had a large stock. Yet another reason to reserve the step steel for custom orders only. I'm sure they'll figure something out when the time comes. They're pretty good at what they do (except the zpalms and those tc9 gloves. Wow those were bad). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Hope they source tydan for their custom pros. Custom pros shouldn't have their stock steel imo

I am hoping that Flare, Tydan and BladeTech will step up and release steel for the new holders. No one has confirmed they are even looking into it at this time. I imagine TRUE needs to capture at lease X amount of the holder market before companies will invest time and money into developing and testing steel for teh SHIFT holder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Miller55 said:

My understanding was that True had a large stock. Yet another reason to reserve the step steel for custom orders only. I'm sure they'll figure something out when the time comes. They're pretty good at what they do (except the zpalms and those tc9 gloves. Wow those were bad). 

The idea was good, but the implementation was not great. 😞 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The idea was good, but the implementation was not great. 😞 

Definitely respect the idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys -  just got back from my local Pure hockey, who had the TF9 in stock. I tried them on and really like them, but don't know what to make of the fit. 

 

For reference, Bauer scanner puts me in Fit 1 - so my foot is pretty unremarkable and made for a Vapor. Tried the TF9 on and noticed straight away that there was much more room in the forefoot than a Supertacks or even Supreme/Vapor Fit 1. 

 

Not sure if True has come out and said what type of fit or last it's built off of. Also, not entirely sure that's how the final fit was supposed to feel, as this was pre baking. They are super, super light and I really like the skate otherwise. The bang for the buck @ $599 is great. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if it will be like the Mako where you have no idea how it's actually going to feel unless you have it baked. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSchultz said:

Hey guys -  just got back from my local Pure hockey, who had the TF9 in stock. I tried them on and really like them, but don't know what to make of the fit. 

 

For reference, Bauer scanner puts me in Fit 1 - so my foot is pretty unremarkable and made for a Vapor. Tried the TF9 on and noticed straight away that there was much more room in the forefoot than a Supertacks or even Supreme/Vapor Fit 1. 

 

Not sure if True has come out and said what type of fit or last it's built off of. Also, not entirely sure that's how the final fit was supposed to feel, as this was pre baking. They are super, super light and I really like the skate otherwise. The bang for the buck @ $599 is great. 

Did they offer to let u try them baked? Kind of pointless if not baked. Even the customs fit bad when you try to wear them unbaked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sniper9 said:

Did they offer to let u try them baked? Kind of pointless if not baked. Even the customs fit bad when you try to wear them unbaked. 

 

They did not. Are you allowed to bake skates you're haven't purchased? I've never tried. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Did they offer to let u try them baked? Kind of pointless if not baked. Even the customs fit bad when you try to wear them unbaked. 

I couldn't even get them on my feet until they were baked. Same for Mako.

6 minutes ago, JSchultz said:

 

They did not. Are you allowed to bake skates you're haven't purchased? I've never tried. 

Sure. That was a requirement for Mako fittings. I would have to assume True retails would be the same case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JSchultz said:

They did not. Are you allowed to bake skates you're haven't purchased? I've never tried. 

Most stores will allow it for TRUE skates. Unliked CCM/Bauer you can bake TRUE skates multiple times without any issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Most stores will allow it for TRUE skates. Unliked CCM/Bauer you can bake TRUE skates multiple times without any issues. 

Oh nice - I was not aware of this. Is there any special process for baking true skates? I'm only concerned that the forefoot was as loose as it was. But, if there is some 'saran wrap' method that they use on the forefoot of the boot to wrap it around, maybe I was missing out on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JSchultz said:

Hey guys -  just got back from my local Pure hockey, who had the TF9 in stock. I tried them on and really like them, but don't know what to make of the fit. 

 

For reference, Bauer scanner puts me in Fit 1 - so my foot is pretty unremarkable and made for a Vapor. Tried the TF9 on and noticed straight away that there was much more room in the forefoot than a Supertacks or even Supreme/Vapor Fit 1. 

 

Not sure if True has come out and said what type of fit or last it's built off of. Also, not entirely sure that's how the final fit was supposed to feel, as this was pre baking. They are super, super light and I really like the skate otherwise. The bang for the buck @ $599 is great. 

For reference, True had put out retail stock in junior sizes for a while. They have always been medium volume boots with a wider forefoot and tapered but not narrow heel. I would imagine the adult stock skates will be similar. Looking forward to trying them on though, since that's exactly my foot shape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSchultz said:

Oh nice - I was not aware of this. Is there any special process for baking true skates? I'm only concerned that the forefoot was as loose as it was. But, if there is some 'saran wrap' method that they use on the forefoot of the boot to wrap it around, maybe I was missing out on that.

Not really "saran wrap", I'm not sure where that idea came from. Maybe just because the stretch wrap kind of resembles saran wrap I guess. But yeah, that's generally done for True custom skates. I assume you could also do it for the stock skates as well but you may see less benefit since the boot wasn't made for your foot anyway. I'm sure anywhere that has sold True customs would know the procedure anyway and should be able to do it for you upon request. It can't hurt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Not really "saran wrap", I'm not sure where that idea came from. Maybe just because the stretch wrap kind of resembles saran wrap I guess. But yeah, that's generally done for True custom skates. I assume you could also do it for the stock skates as well but you may see less benefit since the boot wasn't made for your foot anyway. I'm sure anywhere that has sold True customs would know the procedure anyway and should be able to do it for you upon request. It can't hurt. 

I don't see why it wouldn't be beneficial for the retails. The reason for the shrink wrap method is to negate all possible negative space as the boot cools and prevent it from taking its original shape and or misshapen as you move while the boot is still warm. It also allows you not to tighten the laces very much during the baking process, especially the top few eyelets. 

Shrink wrapping the retail skates will be totally beneficial. 

I'm quite opposite than most ppl. I could get my feet in my Trues even before baking. I would say they even felt loose and too big. But after baking , and especially after shrink wrapping they are locked in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JSchultz, I’ve mostly seen the shrink wrap method applied to the ankle and heel areas of the boot. The holders might get in the way, but perhaps you could have them removed for the baking process. I want to rebake my MLX with the shrink wrap method to get an even snugger fit but want to do the opposite of what I’ve seen most people do. I want to shrink wrap from the forefoot to the heel lock area and skip the top three eyelets because I use a deep ankle aversion in my stride. I molded them by just lacing them up that way last time, skipping the top 3 eyelets, and it was the best I’ve tried. It’s easier to remove and reattach the holder on stock MLX holders though because they’re fastened with Torx screws instead of rivets.

Edited by flip12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While already seemingly a great value for high end skates, they’ve become all the more tempting for me now with the limited time rebate program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, flip12 said:

@JSchultz, I’ve mostly seen the shrink wrap method applied to the ankle and heel areas of the boot. The holders might get in the way, but perhaps you could have them removed for the baking process. I want to rebake my MLX with the shrink wrap method to get an even snugger fit but want to do the opposite of what I’ve seen most people do. I want to shrink wrap from the forefoot to the heel lock area and skip the top three eyelets because I use a deep ankle aversion in my stride. I molded them by just lacing them up that way last time, skipping the top 3 eyelets, and it was the best I’ve tried. It’s easier to remove and reattach the holder on stock MLX holders though because they’re fastened with Torx screws instead of rivets.

GButbSl.jpg

Use a tensor and wrap it through the hole in the holder. 

I've seen people do this though, and wrap it around the actual holder as well. 

 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

GButbSl.jpg

Use a tensor and wrap it through the hole in the holder. 

I've seen people do this though, and wrap it around the actual holder as well. 

 

Awesome! If leaving the holders on, I’d do it the way you did, to get a truer wrap of the foot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, flip12 said:

Awesome! If leaving the holders on, I’d do it the way you did, to get a truer wrap of the foot.

With the figure skates we just put a hard guard on the blade and wrap tight.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 6:21 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

Most stores will allow it for TRUE skates. Unliked CCM/Bauer you can bake TRUE skates multiple times without any issues. 

Umm, that's not entirely accurate. I know bauers can be baked multiple times as I owned several pairs that have been baked more than once. My ribcors have been baked at least twice so I have to assume it's the same with CCM. 

The issue isn't so much the quarter materials as it is the adhesives used. 

Edited by stick9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stick9 said:

Umm, that's not entirely accurate. I know bauers can be baked multiple times as I owned several pairs that have been baked more than once. My ribcors have been baked at least twice so I have to assume it's the same with CCM. 

The issue isn't so much the quarter materials as it is the adhesives used. 

I didnt say quarter materials is what allows TRUE skates to be baked multiple times.

The general consensus from the store owner community is Bauer skates should not be baled more than 3 times. After that the resins and epoxies start to break down and lead to premature breakdown. We had a customer who baked his Vapor skates 4 times in 60 days (he did it at home) and Bauer refused warranty based on this information. 

Our CCM FAST rep recommends no more than 4 bakes in general, but said newer CCM skates such as the FT2 and AS3 Pro can be baked about 6 times before premature breakdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I didnt say quarter materials is what allows TRUE skates to be baked multiple times.

The general consensus from the store owner community is Bauer skates should not be baled more than 3 times. After that the resins and epoxies start to break down and lead to premature breakdown. We had a customer who baked his Vapor skates 4 times in 60 days (he did it at home) and Bauer refused warranty based on this information. 

Our CCM FAST rep recommends no more than 4 bakes in general, but said newer CCM skates such as the FT2 and AS3 Pro can be baked about 6 times before premature breakdown.

Yep, this is what I heard as well. 3x for Bauer, 4x for CCM. Didn't hear about the new models being good for 6x though. Thanks for the info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 6:21 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

Most stores will allow it for TRUE skates. Unliked CCM/Bauer you can bake TRUE skates multiple times without any issues. 

 

2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I didnt say quarter materials is what allows TRUE skates to be baked multiple times.

The general consensus from the store owner community is Bauer skates should not be baled more than 3 times. After that the resins and epoxies start to break down and lead to premature breakdown. We had a customer who baked his Vapor skates 4 times in 60 days (he did it at home) and Bauer refused warranty based on this information. 

Our CCM FAST rep recommends no more than 4 bakes in general, but said newer CCM skates such as the FT2 and AS3 Pro can be baked about 6 times before premature breakdown.

You're right, you never mentioned the quarters. That's not really the point. The point here is, you said Trues are the only brand you can bake multiple times without issue. Which by your own admission is completely inaccurate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...