Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Based on my TRUE scan which shows I am the following:

• Right Foot
  • Width: 102 mm
  • Length: 266.3 mm 
  • Left Foot
  • Width: 99.7 mm
  • Length: 261.9 mm

TRUE said I should consider a wide skate in the TF7/TF9. 

Thanks for posting this - it's helpful. I wasn't planning on new skates as I still have several pairs of Mako II's, however; the rebate deal has me tempted to try the new True retails.

I don't have a True scan, but put my bare feet on/over a tailor's tape measure and my approximate measurements are:

Right foot

Width: 115mm

Length: 269mm

Left foot

Length: 267mm

Based on your measurements and the recommendation of 7.5 W and my feet being a bit longer, it seems like an 8 wide in Trues would likely be my best bet. I'm in 8EE Makos now and my right toe brushes the cap, my left is slightly off. So an 8 wide is what I would suspect, but I know each brand is different. I'll still try to find both a 7.5W and 8W and try them on in person if I decide to grab a pair, but it's good to have a general idea of the size I'd likely need in case the store won't bake before I buy. 

41 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Thanks for posting this - it's helpful. I wasn't planning on new skates as I still have several pairs of Mako II's, however; the rebate deal has me tempted to try the new True retails.

I don't have a True scan, but put my bare feet on/over a tailor's tape measure and my approximate measurements are:

Right foot

Length: 269mm

Left foot

Length: 267mm

Based on your measurements and the recommendation of 7.5 W and my feet being a bit longer, it seems like an 8 wide in Trues would likely be my best bet. I'm in 8EE Makos now and my right toe brushes the cap, my left is slightly off. So an 8 wide is what I would suspect, but I know each brand is different. I'll still try to find both a 7.5W and 8W and try them on in person if I decide to grab a pair, but it's good to have a general idea of the size I'd likely need in case the store won't bake before I buy. 

8W is likely a good fit for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really excited for the TF9's, hoping they're not to wide cause i have narrow feet, yet i only fit Supreme of the Bauer line.

Current skate: Supreme MX3 - Size 10.5 (can feel the toe cap whilst standing straight, not when skating). Shoe Size 12 (Converse)

Right & Left foot (identical)

Width: 102-4mm

Length: 300mm

Think they'll fit snug after baking ?

I finally got my TF9 in the right size (7.5R) and hope I can try them on-ice tomorrow. Also got a second pair that was too wide and large (8.0W) that will go back to the shop.

I'll try to do a quick comparison to my two sets of custom 2nd hand VH/True skates tomorrow as-well.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, gosinger said:

I finally got my TF9 in the right size (7.5R) and hope I can try them on-ice tomorrow. Also got a second pair that was too wide and large (8.0W) that will go back to the shop.

30 minutes ago, gosinger said:

I'll try to do a quick comparison to my two sets of custom 2nd hand VH/True skates tomorrow as-well.

May I ask what size and line you wear in Bauer/CCM? 

Would love to hear your comparison to custom Trues as well

I got scanned for my customs back in December. Is it possible to get details about the scan now to see what size I'd need in the retail skates? Interested in getting a pair to convert to roller. Just got a pair of tacks converted over and they're killing my foot, really miss the feeling of my Trues when I'm using them.

On 8/4/2020 at 1:15 PM, Miller55 said:

I think you might not need a wide. Your foot is the same width as his, but it's longer, so the larger size that you take might be ok in a regular width... Just food for thought

On 8/4/2020 at 1:45 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

This is correct, you should divide the length by width and that result can help guid you in a decision. You would be slightly less wide than myself so you could likely fit in a standard width. 

Thanks for the info. Does baking help with the width on Trues? This may be a dumb question but True W is an E; that's less wide than other brands' EE, right?

Edited by calixguy18

So I had the first skate on my TF9, so here are some quick thoughts:

• Baking had quite the impact on length - before baking I was feathering the toecap even when knees-over-toes, after I don't feather them even sitting upright.
  • The new standard tongues don't work for me - created an instant pressure spot on the top of my instep, both before and after baking.
  • Switching the footbed (didn't bother with the inserts for arch support and went for Superfeet Yellow) and tongue (classic VH felt) to what I was used to from my custom VH, the fit of the skate was very similar.
  • Not sure what to think of the symmetric Shift holder and Steel after a single session. I didn't bottom out, the edges felt responsive, but top speed was lacking. Will try again in a few days.

Comparing my TF9 7.5R to my Vapor 1x (1st gen) 7.5EE, I'd describe the fit as follows:

• Length: Pre-bake very comparable, Post-bake the TF9 feels longer. On the Bauer I couldn't go for 7.0, on the True I think I could pull it off post-bake.
  • Width forefoot/toes: Pre-bake the TF9 felt narrower (constant pressure on the pinky), post-bake the TF9 ended up feeling slightly wider. 
  • Width heel: Don't remember pre-bake, post-bake the TF9 even untied does provide good heel lock, while the 1x needs to be tied down heavily in the 3rd & 4th eyelet.

Comparing my TF9 to my True_V1 (1st gen under their banner, integrated shot blockers) and VH_V2 (2nd gen) custom skates I'd say:

• The felt tongue feels superior to the new stock tongue.
  • The lateral stiffness of the True_V1 is significantly higher, of the 2+ years heavy used VH_V2 is about identical.
  • The facing containing the eyelets is more "relaxed" (more gradual) on the TF9, but the eyelet positions seems to be essentially the same.
  • The soft edge ("comfort edge" with other manufacturers) is slightly bigger on the TF9
  • Fit and finish on the TF9 is excellent, while with the custom skates you have loads of excess glue, blemishes in the clear-coat, etc.
  • Visual: The carbon fiber on the customs looks to be a significantly "smaller" weave
  • Visual: The 1st gen VH had a completely "flat" bottom between the front and rear tower mounting surfaces, while the 2nd gen forward had a raised area (also containing the drainage holes) that probably increased stiffness, while the TF9 has a "flat" bottom again.

Tomorrow I'll maybe have some time on my hands and will measure, weigh and so on, but from a purely subjective PoV:

The TF9 feels like a very good skate, with thermo-formability that more than rivals my Easton Mako 2 (that one I had to clamp down to achieve comparable heel lock), and stiffness slightly lower than the custom model. After switching the laces, tongue and footbed to what I was used to, they felt like my 2nd hand custom skates. It hugs your feet in an incredibly comfortable way, and will surely soak up plenty of the 2nd hand custom model market.

I just got myself a True_V1 set in good condition in a similar size, but with the VH+Step holder. Will I switch to the TF9? Right now the Step holder and steel felt better, but I have not had the TF9 profiled yet (since no-one over here does profiling.....). So while the first impression was  that the custom with different holder+steel+profile performed better, I'll give the TF9 a couple more tries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I ended up taking advantage of the True rebate and picking up a pair of the TF9's in a 6.5W.  The W width seemed really wide to me (which is what I need). 

I'd say the True W width is similar to a Bauer Fit 3 but the shape of the front of the True's are different from Bauer or CCM to me.

It doesn't taper in slightly where the toe cap meets the boot on Bauer or CCM skates but rather, stays the same width. 

Also, it seems like it's a deep boot overall. There is enough volume in the top of the toe box where I think I'm going to use PowerFoot inserts to take away some of that space.

The insoles I'm not sold on. It's definitely nice but it's a bit thick and you have inserts to attach for the arch (medium or high). Not sure how they will work out but I'll give them a shot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Asian Tomatoe said:

I ended up taking advantage of the True rebate and picking up a pair of the TF9's in a 6.5W.  The W width seemed really wide to me (which is what I need). 

I'd say the True W width is similar to a Bauer Fit 3 but the shape of the front of the True's are different from Bauer or CCM to me.

It doesn't taper in slightly where the toe cap meets the boot on Bauer or CCM skates but rather, stays the same width. 

Also, it seems like it's a deep boot overall. There is enough volume in the top of the toe box where I think I'm going to use PowerFoot inserts to take away some of that space.

The insoles I'm not sold on. It's definitely nice but it's a bit thick and you have inserts to attach for the arch (medium or high). Not sure how they will work out but I'll give them a shot.

Get rid of the red footbeds. I don't have a high volume foot by any means and I never liked the fit and feel with the red footbeds in there. I use speed plates and that's all. Even with the custom arch for my trues, I still prefer the rigidity or the speed plates. 

For you Canadian folks, www.hockeysupremacy.com is having an insane deal for trues. They currently have an automatic 20% site discount on a bunch of stuff sans CCM and Bauer elite. This applies to true tf9 skates. AND you can stack the true discount on top of that. Works out to be just over 400 CDN. For tf9s!!!! Also applies to other true stuff as well. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, calixguy18 said:

Thanks for the info. Does baking help with the width on Trues? This may be a dumb question but True W is an E; that's less wide than other brands' EE, right?

Yes, it should help a lot. What width and model are you in Bauer? Personally, I have a wide forefoot and I think I'll go with a R width. I wear Supreme D (which is an E) and am fine in a vapor EE in the forefoot, but I don't like the heel and ankle area of the vapor. 

Edited by Miller55
Ridiculous autocorrect

16 minutes ago, gosinger said:

Comparing my TF9 7.5R to my Vapor 1x (1st gen) 7.5EE, I'd describe the fit as follows:

Does the 7.5R TF9 have a 263mm or 272mm holder? I know 7.5EE Bauer's use a 272mm holder, but most other brands use 263mm for 7.5.

Does anyone know if True upsizes the holder of their wide skates in half sizes like Bauer or keeps the same size for wide and regular width?

21 minutes ago, gosinger said:

The TF9 feels like a very good skate, with thermo-formability that more than rivals my Easton Mako 2 (that one I had to clamp down to achieve comparable heel lock)

What size Makos did you have and how do the Trues compare size and fit wise to the Mako?

23 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Does the 7.5R TF9 have a 263mm or 272mm holder? I know 7.5EE Bauer's use a 272mm holder, but most other brands use 263mm for 7.5.

Does anyone know if True upsizes the holder of their wide skates in half sizes like Bauer or keeps the same size for wide and regular width?

7.5R TF9: 263mm
8.0W TF9: 272mm

20 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

What size Makos did you have and how do the Trues compare size and fit wise to the Mako?

The MK2 was quite a while back, after running and dropping some weight I dropped an entire size, so very hard to compare today. I used to skate in 8.5EE Mako 2 at the same time as 8.5EE Vapor XXXX/x:60/x7.0, went to 8.0EE in 1X (1st gen) and then 7.5EE in 1x (1st gen as-well). So sadly no current comparison, but I remember how the boot felt very well.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Yes, it sound help a lot. What width and model are you in Bauer? Personally, I have a wide forefoot and I think I'll go with a R width. I wear Supreme D (which is an E) and am fine in a vapor EE in the forefoot, but I don't like the heel and ankle area of the vapor. 

With the new fit im a fit 3 but in the previous Bauer lines I was a supreme EE or a Nexus D but heels on the nexus were too wide. If you can try out the True skates in both width. You're on the cusp where I’d guess you would be a D width in True but could go either way. 

As far as sizing goes. I was 6.5EE in Makos and a 6.5 in Bauers and CCM and i ended up in a 6.5W for Trues. One thing i noticed that’s really different from the Makos Is the toe box area. The Trues dont have the liner/extra snug Feel up on top of the foot like the Makos.

• Thanks 1

Do the custom True skates have less volume in toe cap area for those of you that have Custom skates?

Oh and one more thing, these only have one insole and no red liner like the custom ones.

Edited by Asian Tomatoe

2 minutes ago, Asian Tomatoe said:

Do the custom True skates have less volume in toe cap area for those of you that have Custom skates?

The older toe caps I have on the customs are slightly smaller in height than the TF9, but for both I use DIY powerfoot inserts. Width appears similar, I use the same cut for my inserts on both without any noticeable gaps.

1 hour ago, Miller55 said:

Yes, it sound help a lot. What width and model are you in Bauer? Personally, I have a wide forefoot and I think I'll go with a R width. I wear Supreme D (which is an E) and am fine in a vapor EE in the forefoot, but I don't like the heel and ankle area of the vapor. 

I'm actually an 8.5 EE in Reebok 50k. They're slightly wider than they need to be and there isn't enough instep volume so I get heel slip. I haven't tried Supremes or Vapors in EE but the D don't work for me at all. (They also don't have enough volume so I think that's why never tried EE).

54 minutes ago, Asian Tomatoe said:

With the new fit im a fit 3 but in the previous Bauer lines I was a supreme EE or a Nexus D but heels on the nexus were too wide. If you can try out the True skates in both width. You're on the cusp where I’d guess you would be a D width in True but could go either way. 

As far as sizing goes. I was 6.5EE in Makos and a 6.5 in Bauers and CCM and i ended up in a 6.5W for Trues. One thing i noticed that’s really different from the Makos Is the toe box area. The Trues dont have the liner/extra snug Feel up on top of the foot like the Makos.

Yeah from what I'm hearing a R should be fine for me. 

1 minute ago, calixguy18 said:

I'm actually an 8.5 EE in Reebok 50k. They're slightly wider than they need to be and there isn't enough instep volume so I get heel slip. I haven't tried Supremes or Vapors in EE but the D don't work for me at all. (They also don't have enough volume so I think that's why never tried EE).

Gotcha. Yeah EE in 50k is pretty wide. I'd imagine you would have fit a Nexus D.

Anyway, if you don't have a shop to try on them just order one of each and return one. iw had free returns

7 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Gotcha. Yeah EE in 50k is pretty wide. I'd imagine you would have fit a Nexus D.

Anyway, if you don't have a shop to try on them just order one of each and return one. iw had free returns

I tried a Nexus D once but it didn't fit right either (can't remember why). I think my feet are like Asian Tomatoe's. 

Yeah I think that's what I'll do. I get most of my stuff from IW. I'm looking forward to getting these even though there's no ice open around here. 

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

For you Canadian folks, www.hockeysupremacy.com is having an insane deal for trues. They currently have an automatic 20% site discount on a bunch of stuff sans CCM and Bauer elite. This applies to true tf9 skates. AND you can stack the true discount on top of that. Works out to be just over 400 CDN. For tf9s!!!! Also applies to other true stuff as well. 

Maybe this worked earlier, but I think they changed it. I added a pair of TF9's to the cart and there's a black bar underneath that says, "THIS ITEM IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ADVERTISED DISCOUNTS." You can enter the True rebate code if you proceed to checkout, but you can't stack the discounts. If you were able to order before with both discounts and they honoured it; you got a great deal! Even with just the True rebate, it's still a very good deal for a new top end skate (it'd work out to around $550 CDN plus tax). 

Edited by althoma1

9 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Maybe this worked earlier, but I think they changed it. I added a pair of TF9's to the cart and there's a black bar underneath that says, "THIS ITEM IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ADVERTISED DISCOUNTS." You can enter the True rebate code if you proceed to checkout, but you can't stack the discounts. If you were able to order before with both discounts and they honoured it; you got a great deal! Even with just the True rebate, it's still a very good deal for a new top end skate (it'd work out to around $550 CDN plus tax). 

Ya it def worked yesterday. But I don't need it. I just added it to my basket to test it. I got an email from them advising about the true rebate and it even mentioned that it would be counted towards the price before tax and after the auto site discount. So 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just tried it and you're right. Skates are no go for stack, BUT, it'll work for other true stuff like pants. So you'll still get a decent discount that way if u get both skates and pants to get over the 800 threshold for the 250 off 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1