Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jeff Rumson

Ultrasonic skates

2 hours ago, acura9927 said:

I can push the sides of the Matrix easier than the M4. Very soft boot at this price point. 

That's very interesting!

On 10/19/2021 at 11:32 AM, kkskate said:

Should be the Quad XS.  Size 7 and above should be the Quad Zero.

Can confirm it's Quad 0, not XS (for 252). I know because I have both profiles. 

Edited by pgeorgan

On 1/10/2023 at 12:33 PM, beedee said:

The toe box issue has been addressed (and well documented via Bauer) and I definitely noticed the extra space

I more narrow toe box isn't necessarily an "issue" for some people. I actually downgraded from the Machs to the Ultrasonics because of the wider toe box in the former. 

Bauer moving towards roomier skates has become an annoyance for me. I think it's time they offered a fourth option - Fit 0. 

Edited by pgeorgan

7 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I more narrow toe box isn't necessarily an "issue" for some people. I actually downgraded from the Machs to the Ultrasonics because of the wider toe box in the former. 

Bauer moving towards roomier skates is become an annoyance for me. I think it's time they offered a fourth option - Fit 0. 

From a retail fitting perspective Bauer's 3-Fit system is better than the previous 3 line single fit lineup.  For those that have issues there's always custom.

12 hours ago, mojo122 said:

From a retail fitting perspective Bauer's 3-Fit system is better than the previous 3 line single fit lineup.  For those that have issues there's always custom.

Custom Bauer don't come more narrow and with less negative space than their retail options. The Ultrasonics are fine for me, but I probably won't be able to fit into anything else going forward if they just keep getting wider and wider. 

Edited by pgeorgan

8 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Except that custom doesn’t work for many people. Custom is essentially a pair of stock skates, individually sized to each foot in width and length. with a bit of pressure and heat applied. If your feet are far from Bauer shaped, the result will not be a good fit. If you have Bauer shaped feet, but there’s a bump or two that makes stock skates painful, or you are just a bit off Bauer shaped feet, then custom is ideal. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Custom Bauer don't come more narrow and with less negative space than their retail options. The Ultrasonics are fine for me, but I probably won't be able to fit into anything else going forward if they just keep getting wider and wider. 

Bauer and CCM are both trying to phase out the Wide and FIT3. Both brands have been adding volume to the FIT1/FIT2/Tapered/Regular options. I would imagine by 2025 you will not be able to buy a FIT3 or Wide skate at retail, and it will require a custom skate order. 

13 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

Bauer and CCM are both trying to phase out the Wide and FIT3. Both brands have been adding volume to the FIT1/FIT2/Tapered/Regular options. I would imagine by 2025 you will not be able to buy a FIT3 or Wide skate at retail, and it will require a custom skate order. 

If they add volume to the those fits, doesn’t that mean that people who fit well into fit1/tapered will get pushed out the other way, and skates will have too much volume?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, start_today said:

If they add volume to the those fits, doesn’t that mean that people who fit well into fit1/tapered will get pushed out the other way, and skates will have too much volume?

Lol that's what I'm saying. 

11 hours ago, start_today said:

The brands don't care. They are trying to make two fit offerings that cover 90% of players, and anyone who needs something more narrow or wide can order custom.

Basically, we are going back to the two standard retail fits like we used to have previously. lol 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Worth the drive up anyway. The store is massive. 

I will be back,  there is nothing like it in WA state, with the USD/CAD conversion and sales they have its worth anyone's time. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 5:59 PM, VegasHockey said:

The brands don't care. They are trying to make two fit offerings that cover 90% of players, and anyone who needs something more narrow or wide can order custom.

Basically, we are going back to the two standard retail fits like we used to have previously. lol 

As a hockey dad with a Hobbit footed son who only fits in a Supreme Fit 3 this worries me….

On 3/19/2024 at 12:59 AM, VegasHockey said:

As I said earlier, Bauer custom won’t fit many people. I’m repeating this as I am angry that the Bauer marketing is deception, and screwed my skating for years, and people need to be aware of this. 

I’ve talked to a lot of people, including shop staff, and the concensus is that CCM is midway between Bauer and True for mouldability, so I’m not convinced CCM custom would fit me either. 

On 3/19/2024 at 7:25 AM, acura9927 said:

I will be back,  there is nothing like it in WA state, with the USD/CAD conversion and sales they have its worth anyone's time. 

Absolutely. And one of the better goalie sections you'll find anywhere, if you're into that kind of thing. 

First time yesterday skated with the Matrix and with Reflex Tendon Guard. I do find it more comfortable than the hard fixed tendon guard on my M4 but no performance difference. I somewhat like the fixed tendon guard better for backwards skating. 

That said the Matrix is without question comfortable and zero break in needed. I did not bake them in the store as I am not a fan of baking skates, rather just wear them around the house watching TV or light chores. 

Edited by acura9927

On 4/2/2024 at 8:02 AM, acura9927 said:

First time yesterday skated with the Matrix and with Reflex Tendon Guard. I do find it more comfortable than the hard fixed tendon guard on my M4 but no performance difference. I somewhat like the fixed tendon guard better for backwards skating. 

That said the Matrix is without question comfortable and zero break in needed. I did not bake them in the store as I am not a fan of baking skates, rather just wear them around the house watching TV or light chores. 

You know that like a real thing now, right? It's not just some marketing BS.... No amount wear will get that boot to conform to your foot. 

https://composites.pfsfabrics.com/what-is-curv/ 

Curv® is the world’s first self-reinforced, 100% thermoplastic composite material. It is made of heat-compacted woven polymer fibers and requires no additional support structure to maintain it’s strength or impact resistance.

Edited by stick9

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

You know that like a real thing now, right? It's not just some marketing BS.... No amount wear will get that boot to conform to your foot. 

https://composites.pfsfabrics.com/what-is-curv/ 

My Supreme 2S Pro skates have a CarbonCurv shell, having baked them three times, if they are thermoformable it is very subtle. My guess is the ankle foams benefit far more from baking. I believe they are thermoformable with enough heat and pressure. 

All skates for the last few decades have been made with thermoformable materials. You can see it happen in the how-it’s-made factory videos even with traditional skates like Graf and Bauer Classic Supremes. Whether they’re reformable under conditions available to the consumer is the question.

The real reason I don't want to bake new skates anymore is when I baked my Ribcore Titanium skate the 2nd time there were 3 to 4 pin sized dots that formed on both sides of the skate after the 2nd bake. I don't think for me since I don't make money from playing hockey its worth any unnecessary blemish on my skates. 

That’s like “I’m never gonna change the air filter my car because once I took it to jiffy lube and there was a small mark on the bumper when I got it back. Better to just get poor gas mileage and breathe dirty air than risk a blemish on my car.” 

You’re spending 100s of dollars on skates, worried enough about the fit that you are posting here, but then not even taking the steps to properly fit them all the way. Go get them baked, you will be happier with fit and performance. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, acura9927 said:

The real reason I don't want to bake new skates anymore is when I baked my Ribcore Titanium skate the 2nd time there were 3 to 4 pin sized dots that formed on both sides of the skate after the 2nd bake. I don't think for me since I don't make money from playing hockey its worth any unnecessary blemish on my skates. 

If heated correctly you should never see any sort of blemish. My guess, the temp was too high.

Not sure anyone here makes any sort of money from playing. It's a hobby for most of us. Skates get abused during play. After a few games you won't even notice those blemishes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

If heated correctly you should never see any sort of blemish. My guess, the temp was too high.

Not sure anyone here makes any sort of money from playing. It's a hobby for most of us. Skates get abused during play. After a few games you won't even notice those blemishes.

I think that's what happened. When I went in to bake them the 2nd time it was the same guy that always cut my skates 1/2 too sharp EVERY time.  I mean how can they screw up oven temp? Its one setting per CCM skate. But I guess they did. 

1 hour ago, acura9927 said:

I mean how can they screw up oven temp? Its one setting per CCM skate. But I guess they did. 

It's not that they messed up the oven temperature but the fact that they messed up the baking process.  I see it all too often.  

• Like 1