Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jared9356

CCM Total Custom

I am looking for testimonials for CCM Total Customs. In the market to replace skates and I’m coming off Trues. Love ‘em but I’m unhappy with the durability. Before Trues, I did ~60 days in stock AS1s and was very pleasantly superseded with the fit and feel.

Biggest questions I want answered: 1. Do you feel as though they built a skate around your foot; or was it a case of taking a stock skate and ‘super-mounding it’? 2. What special options/ considerations are offered from CCM? Eg. boot height, facing increase/decrease, major protrusions/ bunions.

Any help is appreciated, and don’t hold back on detail.

CCM actually offers a very solid custom skate. There are two "levels" to the customizations that you can get. The first being the 'CCM Total Custom' option, which is what I have seen most come through my shop in terms of custom CCM skates. The next step up (which it sounds like is what you would be interested in) is the Total Custom Plus. Not sure of the exact price for each off the top of my head, but there is a jump from the Total Custom to the Total Custom Plus. 

In terms of actual customizations available, both options will get you the 3d scan, boot choice (Tacks, Jetspeed, Ribcore), tongue thickness and customization, steel choice, lace options, and color. With the total custom plus option, you get access to pro level customizations such as boot stiffness options (stock or x-stiff), facing changes, boot height, holder size, and boot cut. With both choices you are able to make notes on your scan if you have any irregularities in your feet or ankles that you want to make sure are addressed in the manufacturing process of your boot. I had a player come in who had major ankle surgery and was left with some hardware that had been bothering him in his current AS1's. He went with a Total Custom Plus and had no issues in the spots where he had the metal in his ankle. He actually got in touch with our CCM rep because he was so pleased with his skates. 

Also worth noting, the scan will give you a recommended size for each foot (down to a 1/4 size), and you are able to choose if you want to go with what is recommended or if you'd like to manually adjust and choose your size. With both packages you are able to get different sized skates since most people's feet are actually not identical in length and volume.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been wondering this too. I'm currently in Trues, but interested in trying out custom CCMs when the time comes.

Do they truly make the boot around the scan of your foot like True does? Or is it really just a retail fitting boot with the slight adjustments to have incremental sizes?

I had crazy arch pain in all the retail skates I tried, to the point where I couldn't last a full game. I now have zero pain anytime I skate with my Trues. Does CCM actually account for the arch like True does? 

23 hours ago, GearNerd said:

With the total custom plus option, you get access to pro level customizations such as boot stiffness options (stock or x-stiff), facing changes, boot height, holder size, and boot cut.

Do you have details on boot height options? I’ve e grown accustomed to the lower cut Trues so that’s exciting to know. 

I am going to buy stock CCMs tomorrow and take advantage of the 90 day program to see if they’re worth looking into further. 

A search would help, lots of posts on this topic actually.

Even the total custom program for CCM is nothing comparing with True since true is built inside out based on the scan of your foot, vs CCM just does a press over the mold of your foot (supposedly).

At least that was my personal experience since my customs didn’t even fit right and were Killing my feet, vs with Trues there was zero break in and since day 1 it feels like I have nothing on my feet how well the skates fit! 

1 hour ago, jared9356 said:

I am going to buy stock CCMs tomorrow and take advantage of the 90 day program to see if they’re worth looking into further. 

Someone who owns an LHS please correct me if I’m wrong but given the current shortage of skates (anything pretty much) stores Really frown upon someone reducing their valuable stock just to try things out… 

39 minutes ago, SolarWind said:

Someone who owns an LHS please correct me if I’m wrong but given the current shortage of skates (anything pretty much) stores Really frown upon someone reducing their valuable stock just to try things out… 

I imagine CCM would temporarily do away with the promotion if that were the case. Otherwise why allow stock to be gambled with? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SolarWind said:

The shop may "frown upon it" but since the policy is CCM's and presuming the shop wants to continue their relationship with CCM, not much they can do about it.  And since the policy is in place, fully within the customer's right to use it as they see fit.  I'd guess they make far more sales that stick than don't. 

Edited by krisdrum

I recently tried three pairs of CCM skates, JetSpeed 485, SuperTacks 9380 and 88k Ribcor over a months span. JetSpeeds were purchased from Pure Hockey, no issue returning them at all. SuperTacks were purchased at Hockey Monkey, no issues returning them at all. However after determining the RibCors weren't for me, when I went to return them at Hockey Monkey (where I bought them) an employee initially said that I couldn't return them, and the CCM 90 Day Policy only applied to trying out one pair of skates. I politely asked them to show me where that was stated in CCM's literature, as well as Hockey Monkeys (while having the policy of each pulled up on my phone just in case) and the employee asked me to give him a moment while he headed to an office. The manager said it was "ok" to take the RibCor's back. We went on to purchase a stick and a few other things at HM that day, so its not like I was just using HM to try out the CCMs.

Part of me felt bad for trying out three pairs of skates, but that is what the 90 Day Guarantee is there for. They just didnt work for me at all. After all was said and done, I ended up back in a new pair of my old faithful, Bauer Vapors, 3x from Pure Hockey. If Hockey Monkey had my size/fit in stock, I would have purchased that same day I returned the RibCors. Does anyone know what CCM does with the skates that are returned? Mine were all still in 9.5 out of 10 shape.

On 3/15/2022 at 12:38 PM, beedee said:

I recently tried three pairs of CCM skates, JetSpeed 485, SuperTacks 9380 and 88k Ribcor over a months span. JetSpeeds were purchased from Pure Hockey, no issue returning them at all. SuperTacks were purchased at Hockey Monkey, no issues returning them at all. However after determining the RibCors weren't for me, when I went to return them at Hockey Monkey (where I bought them) an employee initially said that I couldn't return them, and the CCM 90 Day Policy only applied to trying out one pair of skates. I politely asked them to show me where that was stated in CCM's literature, as well as Hockey Monkeys (while having the policy of each pulled up on my phone just in case) and the employee asked me to give him a moment while he headed to an office. The manager said it was "ok" to take the RibCor's back. We went on to purchase a stick and a few other things at HM that day, so its not like I was just using HM to try out the CCMs.

Part of me felt bad for trying out three pairs of skates, but that is what the 90 Day Guarantee is there for. They just didnt work for me at all. After all was said and done, I ended up back in a new pair of my old faithful, Bauer Vapors, 3x from Pure Hockey. If Hockey Monkey had my size/fit in stock, I would have purchased that same day I returned the RibCors. Does anyone know what CCM does with the skates that are returned? Mine were all still in 9.5 out of 10 shape.

FWIW, hockey monkey doesn’t care about all the small shops they have run out of business. I wouldn’t feel the least bit bad milking every possible thing out of them without a second thought. These giant stores can’t undercut local shops and fall back on “just capitalism bro, nothing personal,” and then cry foul when consumers do the same thing to them. Fuck ‘em. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, start_today said:

FWIW, hockey monkey doesn’t care about all the small shops they have run out of business. I wouldn’t feel the least bit bad milking every possible thing out of them without a second thought. These giant stores can’t undercut local shops and fall back on “just capitalism bro, nothing personal,” and then cry foul when consumers do the same thing to them. Fuck ‘em. 

+1

The reason I felt bad was because I wasn't too sure of what was done to the skates upon returning them, hopefully they are somehow repurposed. I don't feel bad for HM at all.

4 minutes ago, beedee said:

The reason I felt bad was because I wasn't too sure of what was done to the skates upon returning them, hopefully they are somehow repurposed. I don't feel bad for HM at all.

They have to be selling them off or donating them. I can't imagine they're eating the cost.