Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogie Oglethorpe

Who are the best power forwards in NHL history?

He did fight, but was alwasy more of a finesse player. I believe he even fought his first game.

Exactly my thoughts, Lemieux is a finesse guy, not a power forward. By the way that fight, if I remember right, was against Gary Lupul of Vancouver. Mario's first home game, Lupul was about eight inches shorter.

obviously mario's more of a finess player

but his size enabled him to play more with the body as well

thus i fink he is also one of the best "power" forwards in the game

You're crazy.

obviously mario's more of a finess player

but his size enabled him to play more with the body as well

thus i fink he is also one of the best "power" forwards in the game

A power forward is one who mucks it up, goes hard to the net, antagizes through a look or overall dominance and power, tilts when needed but not there to do it exclusively, and possess a higher scoring touch. Mario was my fav player as a kid, he was not one to do any of the above aside from score, and create.

What about a few of these guys:

Terry O'Rielly

Ted Lindsay

Clark Gillies

Owen Nolan (SJ version)

Frank Mahovolich

Ken Hodge

John Tonnelli

John Ferguson

maybe Marcel Dionne?

Jim Schoenfeld

I think only a few of the current power forwards could crack a top ten list.

Nobody tops Mr. Hockey in that role. He stands WAY above any other power forward... heck he defined it.

Forsberg, Hull and Mario as power forwards?! Are you kidding me? Why not put Gretz in there as well?

He did fight, but was alwasy more of a finesse player. I believe he even fought his first game.

Exactly my thoughts, Lemieux is a finesse guy, not a power forward. By the way that fight, if I remember right, was against Gary Lupul of Vancouver. Mario's first home game, Lupul was about eight inches shorter.

Was that the time he got knocked down on the first punch or was that around 90-91?

Today I like the guys mentioned but I also think there is no one better at parking in front of the net and taking punishment and scoring goals like Tomas Holmstrom, don't know if he's consider a power forward though. Also I think "Artie" Kevin Stevens was a stud in his prime and if he hadn't had his face caved in, in what the 93 playoffs? He probably get some more "dap".

I think Rick Nash might join these list sooner or later and Ryan Malone looks like he can definitely play the power foward game as well. Any other youngsters out there that we'll be talking about soon?

To me they have to have something of a mean streak, natural skill and toughness. Mess should have been on my inital list, he's a mean mofo on the ice.

too many to name.....

Tkachuk

Primeau

Howe

Nelly

Ciccarelli

Shanny

Fedorov

Hossa

Trottier

Shanny? Fedorov? HOSSA?! Come on now those guys are far from power forwards. Neely, Lindros, Wendel Clark, Espisito, and Gordie were probably the best ever.

My favorite PF ever was who JR mentioned, Wendel Clark. Absoloute bullet of a wrister.

Was that the time he got knocked down on the first punch or was that around 90-91?

No, must have been later like you said. He did well against Lupul and Bob Carpenter early in his career. Must have thought fighting was pretty easy after those two wins because he then tried to take on the Caps Bobby Gould...result was a broken jaw for Mario.

What about a few of these guys:

Terry O'Rielly

Ted Lindsay

Clark Gillies

Owen Nolan (SJ version)

Frank Mahovolich

Ken Hodge

John Tonnelli

John Ferguson

maybe Marcel Dionne?

Jim Schoenfeld

I think only a few of the current power forwards could crack a top ten list.

Don't agree with Ken Hodge. Back in that era, that team, I'd say Derek Sanderson.

Did Schoenfield ever play forward?

Gary Roberts, theres a guy with heart, grit, skill, speed, size. Hes too old now but still a beauty. Was never afraid to give or take a bump, drop the mits, or put the puck in the net. As for #91 Sergei Fedorov, unreal, but not really a power forward. Sergei has unlimited amouts of speed and skill. He is no doubt, bar-none the best skating hockey player in the show, if not the whole world. I cant remember the exact year but he won the fastest skater I believe in 92. That man can generate so much speed through center ice and create unlimited rushes per game. He won the hardest shot in 02? not bad, considering he's the only player to ever win two different all star skills contests

Cam Neely is my favorite in that category. How about Claude Lemieux? He was a clutch performer and had a heck of mean streak as well....never liked him personally, though.

Tim Kerr of the Flyers. Couldn't skate too well, but would park himself in front of the opposing net and tip in shots from the point and get rebounds while taking abuse. Could not be moved. He was the offensive focal point of the Flyers in the mid 80s (?).

I don't know if he's been mentioned, but I'll go with Pat Verbeek. Not that big but he scored all the power forward-ish goals. Of course it doesn't hurt to have the world's fattest blade ever.