Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ovie17

Custom Easton Sticks

From what I've always known, manufacturers will shut you down on every request for this type of thing. The only places that have been able to pull it off are TSR and Purehockey with the tapered One95 shafts, although that's even sort of a different situation since those shafts were already being produced for Europe.

Manufacturers, especially the larger ones like Easton, are not interested in catering to small-time stores or individuals. They deal with the big leagues, NHL, and make their money selling retail. Back when the Synergys first came out, I'd heard it cost nearly $10k to make a single mold for a player's custom stick. Whether or not that's true is neither here nor there and I'm sure prices have dropped on the manufacturing of OPS, but the point is the same: It costs BIG bucks to make that kind of stuff up and no one wants to get into the logistics and complications of selling custom stuff to individuals. Once you open that door, you have all kinds of people with too much money to throw around coming at you with requests. And as much as it may seem like a company is eager to get as much money as possible, most of them simply don't want to deal with those issues.

If you can get it, then AWESOME. You'll be one of the first. But expect to pay thousands and thousands of dollars if you even get your request looked at.

I had custom composite blades made through The Hockey Shop last fall. I could have had them made in OPS, but chose the blades instead. I was offered either Reebok or SWD (I went with Reebok because I got double the blades for a little more than half the price per blade). I was told that Easton would only make customs in wood, so not sure that the S19 is doable. I also had to give them a sample of the curve I wanted, which I didn't get back. So you'll need to find an actual Kopecky somewhere first. And although they did a pretty good job of copying what I gave them, it is definitely not perfect.

Another reason they wouldn't make custom OPS for retail is what happens when you get your custom Kopecky OPS for $3k and you think they are not EXACTLY what you ordered? The vendor says tough luck, you're pissed off, and the LHS is stuck in the middle with a headache they wanted nothing to do with in the first place. Just one more thing to think of why this will never happen for retail.

As long as the player has used that companies stick and they still have his casting/mold on file there is no reason you cant order them. I've had customers walk in our door with a pro stock stick and we've been able to order the exact curve and even change the flex and make up of the stick if we wanted to. I'm sure some reps will put up a fuss about it but in reality it can be done. I've seen and had it done by Bauer and Easton!!

your best bet would probably be to call them and ask how to get the ball rolling. I remember someone on here saying that it can be done, you just have to find a retailer who is willing to take you seriously.

either way, you're gonna need daddy's Amex. I'd hate to see the bill for that purchase.

It was me.

Basically with Easton you will A) have to find a shop whose Easton rep loves them. B) have a mold of the stick already (either this guy's blade or a wood one you customized yourself). C) send it in and pay ~500 to have the mold be made. D) Shell out quite a large chunk of change for 12 sticks, anywhere from 1500-2000 atleast.

Essentially it is awfully expensive doing a OPS with a big company. Now with Sher-wood/Combat/Etc it is much more affordable to do it, and almost every dealer who is with them can infact do a OPS for a customer, whereas with the big 4 it is much more difficult (and exponentially more expensive)

From what I've always known, manufacturers will shut you down on every request for this type of thing. The only places that have been able to pull it off are TSR and Purehockey with the tapered One95 shafts, although that's even sort of a different situation since those shafts were already being produced for Europe.

Manufacturers, especially the larger ones like Easton, are not interested in catering to small-time stores or individuals. They deal with the big leagues, NHL, and make their money selling retail. Back when the Synergys first came out, I'd heard it cost nearly $10k to make a single mold for a player's custom stick. Whether or not that's true is neither here nor there and I'm sure prices have dropped on the manufacturing of OPS, but the point is the same: It costs BIG bucks to make that kind of stuff up and no one wants to get into the logistics and complications of selling custom stuff to individuals. Once you open that door, you have all kinds of people with too much money to throw around coming at you with requests. And as much as it may seem like a company is eager to get as much money as possible, most of them simply don't want to deal with those issues.

If you can get it, then AWESOME. You'll be one of the first. But expect to pay thousands and thousands of dollars if you even get your request looked at.

False.

Thanks everyone for your replies they where helpful, BUT! I think a minimum of 12 sticks is to much for me.. I'll settle on some true malkin s19's =]

Believe it or not guys...this post helped me out!

I have wondered about this many times, and actually started to investigate....so thanks!

That is what Modsquadhockey is for..

I Still REALLLYY!!! Want a Kopecky just going to have to find a different way to get one..

Correct. Check the catalogs scotty. Bauer makes no tapered shafts for Europe according to the 09 and 10 catalogs. The xxxx and x60 shafts in europe are even standard

Perhaps that's what I was thinking of was the X60 shaft over there.

I can confirm that Easton has a pro stick bank. I've gotten Hodek and Darby "pro stocks" for customers this year and Easton had the name plates changed to the customers name on the Hodeks. I'm almost positive that a complete custom is out of the question for us mere mortals but if they have the pattern already, its a slight possibility. Here is where things get a little fuzzy. Hodek never even played in the NHL and Darby (I'm assuming its Craig Darby but I don't know for sure) hasn't played on this side of the pond since 2006 and hasn't played professionally since 2008 yet both models were current (SE16's). My semi-educated guess is that they keep the pattern on file under the name of who the original order was for and just slap a different name plate on the sticks when a pro player orders them. Bottom line: You need to find a store that does a good amount of business with Easton, has a great relationship with their rep, and be prepared to pay almost retail pricing for sticks with no warranty.

Easton offers about 7 consumer model curves (sakic, zetterburg, getzlaf, etc) but they offer 7+ PRO STOCK curves (darby, roenick, and a few others). These pro stock curves are available at the pro/college level but can be ordered by any customer as well with minimums ofcourse. When it comes to getting true custom curves its gets a little foggy. If there is a NHL pro who is using a Easton stick and Easton still has that mold on file then yes it could be done.

you have to buy a minimum quantity (probably 10-12), so even if there was a warranty, you'd probably only be able to make one claim.

isn't that why bauer id program limits customers to 3 per order? 30 day warranty starts when the sticks are delivered. if you buy 12 sticks, you may not even touch the majority of them for 6+ months.

i'm also guessing you wouldn't be getting the street price, probably MSRP.

you have to buy a minimum quantity (probably 10-12), so even if there was a warranty, you'd probably only be able to make one claim.

isn't that why bauer id program limits customers to 3 per order? 30 day warranty starts when the sticks are delivered. if you buy 12 sticks, you may not even touch the majority of them for 6+ months.

i'm also guessing you wouldn't be getting the street price, probably MSRP.

For SMU you don't get a warranty.

The reason the bauer id has the warranty claims is b/c its full retail, and they didn't really custom make it for you. They just put a different sticker on the outside of the stick. With the SMU its a custom stick from the beginning.

Easton offers about 7 consumer model curves (sakic, zetterburg, getzlaf, etc) but they offer 7+ PRO STOCK curves (darby, roenick, and a few others). These pro stock curves are available at the pro/college level but can be ordered by any customer as well with minimums ofcourse. When it comes to getting true custom curves its gets a little foggy. If there is a NHL pro who is using a Easton stick and Easton still has that mold on file then yes it could be done.

The interesting thing about those 7 pro-stock models is that they make them available in both left and right hand shots (regardless of the player's actual shooting direction). My last season in college the pro-stock options were YP, Roenick, Lidstrom pro (different from the retail model), Kariya, Darby, Richards (Brad) - there was also a "Styles" pattern, but it may have been the same thing as the Roenick, I don't quite remember. I actually used some right handed Richards' sticks that season. Of course, this was back in 2003-04 so the available models may be different these days.

For SMU you don't get a warranty.

The reason the bauer id has the warranty claims is b/c its full retail, and they didn't really custom make it for you. They just put a different sticker on the outside of the stick. With the SMU its a custom stick from the beginning.

i know. you missed my point completely.

what's the point then? that bauer limits you to 3 per order so you don't screw yourself over? Or since you'd have to buy 12 SMU, and even if there was a warranty, it wont get used until month 6 at minimum so there's no point in ordering so many?

CTHockey wrote;

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

" Easton offers about 7 consumer model curves (sakic, zetterburg, getzlaf, etc) but they offer 7+ PRO STOCK curves (darby, roenick, and a few others). These pro stock curves are available at the pro/college level but can be ordered by any customer as well with minimums ofcourse. "

im interested in ordering some Pro Stock sticks from Easton. The curve i want is already popular (Sakic) but its hard to find in the 110 Flex that i want. its very hard to find going through local or online retailers.... and also i want them in big quantity..like 6 or + sticks... Can anyone confirm that they were successful in ordering directly to Easton ? and can you go talk to your local shop...or do you have go talk to a specific shop.

thanks.