Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I'll take that into consideration, just need to find a place in ON that supplies them. If it's more aggressive than the Mako's I might be a little bit worried, I want it set inbetween my Vapors and Makos. Are the LS(1) Holders and Runners a neutral setup? I tried searching the thread and couldn't find anything. Also are the runners the same length? I run a 7.5D on the Vapors and a 7.0D on the Mako's just want to know what I can do to get a happy medium.

I'll take that into consideration, just need to find a place in ON that supplies them. If it's more aggressive than the Mako's I might be a little bit worried, I want it set inbetween my Vapors and Makos. Are the LS(1) Holders and Runners a neutral setup? I tried searching the thread and couldn't find anything. Also are the runners the same length? I run a 7.5D on the Vapors and a 7.0D on the Mako's just want to know what I can do to get a happy medium.

When I say more aggressive, it really is only the slightest bit. Plus I think the tenon guard not being as flexible makes it feel more aggressive when it might not be (makes you flex forward a bit more when standing straight up). In most cases, the holder+runner = your pitch, so the little difference in outsole thickness should really be negligible.

As far as runner size goes, for both bauer and easton you use the same runner for size 7 and 7.5, so if you get a 7-7.5 holder to put on that should be perfect. If you were using a 7.5 and an 8 then you'd have a problem. (If you wear an E width then you add a half size for the runner) Heres the runner sizing charts:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-holder-cxn.html

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-tuuk-lightspeed-edge-holder-sr.html

Got out for my first skate on my Mako IIs. Best fitting skate I have ever worn (in the past couple years I have had Supreme one.9, APX2, RBZ). Does anyone know if Step Steel or Black Edge makes replacement steel for the CXN holder?

Got out for my first skate on my Mako IIs. Best fitting skate I have ever worn (in the past couple years I have had Supreme one.9, APX2, RBZ). Does anyone know if Step Steel or Black Edge makes replacement steel for the CXN holder?

Yes, STEP makes regular, velocity and Blacksteel for those.

Yes, we've had them in stock for quite some time. Their website needs updating for sure.

Do they not make junior size steel at all?

Lets hope you get the 2's....I just got my warranty replacements, and they are the original Mako's. Now I am nervous to how long these will last. Everything they fixed on the Mako 2, broke on mine. Not impressed.

I had sent in my Makos in about 8 weeks ago and they ended up sending me the new Mako IIs in a 0.5 size smaller (per my request). Took 2 months because the new Mako IIs were on back order, but waiting seems to have been worth it. Took them out for a spin on Monday, feel a lot different than my S12s which I'd been using for two months (off and on, while dealing with an injury). Really liking the fit but considering having the heal pinched a little to help with the heal lock.

I had sent in my Makos in about 8 weeks ago and they ended up sending me the new Mako IIs in a 0.5 size smaller (per my request). Took 2 months because the new Mako IIs were on back order, but waiting seems to have been worth it. Took them out for a spin on Monday, feel a lot different than my S12s which I'd been using for two months (off and on, while dealing with an injury). Really liking the fit but considering having the heal pinched a little to help with the heal lock.

That... doesn't really work all that well. Try Stable26 socks, or maybe the Mako just isn't for you.

That... doesn't really work all that well. Try Stable26 socks, or maybe the Mako just isn't for you.

The heal lock is hardly an issue, just noted that it could be a bit tighter. I thought I'd seen posts about taking off the extendon guard and heating the back of the heal and then squeezing it for a few minutes. If that's not advisable I'd just as soon leave it the way it is.

The heal lock is hardly an issue, just noted that it could be a bit tighter. I thought I'd seen posts about taking off the extendon guard and heating the back of the heal and then squeezing it for a few minutes. If that's not advisable I'd just as soon leave it the way it is.

Gotcha.

Is "extendon" an Easton trademark for the Mako flexible tendon guard? I've seen that word used a few times and I've been wondering.

Edited by OptimusReim

A question on Mako steel.

I have been skating for over a year on Makos and just picked up Mako IIs. The steel profile is quite a bit different, especially the heels and toes of the blades. On the Makos they heels and toes were shaved quite a bit, while on the IIs they're much flatter. Perhaps along the way, the heels and toes were shaved from sharpening, but it seems like a lot unless they were done intentionally (they weren't)

I had the feeling that the pitch was different and a lot more bite of the Mako II blades on my first skate.

Anyone else notice a profile difference on the steel of Mako vs. Mako IIs?

I'm going to try swapping steel and playing tomorrow to see if that changes the feeling of the skates on the ice, but for now, I prefer the original Makos.

A question on Mako steel.

I have been skating for over a year on Makos and just picked up Mako IIs. The steel profile is quite a bit different, especially the heels and toes of the blades. On the Makos they heels and toes were shaved quite a bit, while on the IIs they're much flatter. Perhaps along the way, the heels and toes were shaved from sharpening, but it seems like a lot unless they were done intentionally (they weren't)

I had the feeling that the pitch was different and a lot more bite of the Mako II blades on my first skate.

Anyone else notice a profile difference on the steel of Mako vs. Mako IIs?

I'm going to try swapping steel and playing tomorrow to see if that changes the feeling of the skates on the ice, but for now, I prefer the original Makos.

I am about 99% sure its just your sharpening over time. No sharpener is gonna be able to keep the profile of your blade perfect - which is why some people get their blades re-profiled every 10 sharpenings or so. Pretty sure noicing recommends it. If you only use 1 set of steel - i guess its not a big deal because you just adjust to it.

As for the mako's specifically - I was using the first Makos for the past 4 or so months, recently had to send them back for warranty, and was sent back the mako 2. Before sending back, I was alternating between 3 sets of steel so I wouldnt have to take trips to the sharpener as often. When I first got my 2 extra sets, I did notice the front and back on the new ones had more steel than the ones that had been sharpened a few times. I made sure I used the newer ones first, and eventually they all evened out (same sharpener)

Like I said I think there is no way to avoid this, and if it ends up bothering you, Id get them reprofiled even so often. I try to get all three of mine sharpened at the same time by the same person, so at least the alterred profile is consistent for all three sets.

I will check the profile of my new mako II steel vs the ones I bought from hockey monkey when I got home just to make sure though.

And I'd just try to get used to the new steel, and keep the old steel as a backup (until they even out).

Edited by louierev07

finally tried out my new mako II's today. I know its gonna take some time to break in, but I also had some heel lock problems today. I had zero to little problems with the first makos, so not sure why Im feeling it with the mako II. I had them tied a little loose today, because any tighter at the moment would have hurt my feet - so maybe thats why. After a few more skates if I still have issues I will try rebaking or pinching the heel.

Has anyone had issues with the Mako II other than heel lock issues?? my first few skates were great but after that I've notice I got the heel lock issue as well, which didn't happen on the first Mako which I had..

Also a few tiny metal rings from the inside of the eyelet has fell out on the Mako II, quite disappointed to see this on a top of the range skate! :(

I'm most likely going back to Bauer TotalOne MX3 as I don't feel confident with Easton's quality anymore..

Edited by KeepItLow

The only issue I have had is they added a liner to the inside of the toe cap that just made the 7.5's a little uncomfortable for my foot. The 7.5 makos were the perfect length with no liner on the cap. My Mako 2 liners were snug, but the motion of my toes and skating, pulled the liner away, and balled up certain areas in front of my toes. I plan to cut that area out to address it.

I appologize in advance if this has been asked before, but has anyone here switched from any of the Bauer skates with the Curv composite quarter to the Makos/Mako II? I've been in the top of the line Supreme line for 3 years. I like the preformance but they kill the sides of my feet. I'm wondering how significant the ankle support difference is between Supremes and these. I'd like to switch for comfort, but I also don't want a skate that feels flimsy or unstable.

I appologize in advance if this has been asked before, but has anyone here switched from any of the Bauer skates with the Curv composite quarter to the Makos/Mako II? I've been in the top of the line Supreme line for 3 years. I like the preformance but they kill the sides of my feet. I'm wondering how significant the ankle support difference is between Supremes and these. I'd like to switch for comfort, but I also don't want a skate that feels flimsy or unstable.

Completely different. They are "less stiff", as in they don't feel like a ski boot. But they flex in all the right ways, and aren't soft by any means. Not really all that comparable.

Completely different. They are "less stiff", as in they don't feel like a ski boot. But they flex in all the right ways, and aren't soft by any means. Not really all that comparable.

i agree. It takes some getting used to, but the thing with these skates are that they are all about free range of motion. My first couple skates had me worried, but now I dont think I could ever go back.

Its gonna take some big sponsored athletes or bauer cloning it to really catch on, but I have no doubt that if bauer had made this skate, and called it the "new bauer odin skates" people would be shitting themeselves over these, and it would start a shift towards more skares designed like this. Because its Easton, and people like what they are used to, it might not catch, or if it does, itll take much longer. I know im a bit biased, but I truly believe the Easton mako/custom skate with an aggresive pitch is the best skate out there by far.

• Like 1

i agree. It takes some getting used to, but the thing with these skates are that they are all about free range of motion. My first couple skates had me worried, but now I dont think I could ever go back.

Its gonna take some big sponsored athletes or bauer cloning it to really catch on, but I have no doubt that if bauer had made this skate, and called it the "new bauer odin skates" people would be shitting themeselves over these, and it would start a shift towards more skares designed like this. Because its Easton, and people like what they are used to, it might not catch, or if it does, itll take much longer. I know im a bit biased, but I truly believe the Easton mako/custom skate with an aggresive pitch is the best skate out there by far.

Bauer already kind of did that with the one90, but didn't they just go back up to their higher cut boots? That's just their thing. Easton/VH will have to take a bigger bite out of Bauer's dominant market share for Bauer to think about doing anything to take back what they lose. I could be wrong, but that's been my projection of Bauer's stance on this trend.