Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

40oz2freedom28

Bauer 1X Skates

Can anybody tell me (or link to me in their response) why Bauer is going to a 10' radius for LS4 steel? Is this something that people have been wanting so they finally listened..? or are more pro's using 10' now?

Seems like with the already fairly neutral pitch of the holder & runner, going to 10' might be a little bit too much blade on a ice for some no? Obviously a custom profiling solves that for people who want 9' or more pitch, but I thought it was just odd to hear the 1x is skating on 10' these days.

Pitch does not effect the amount of blade contact with ice. A 10' radius will have the same amount of ice contact no matter if the pitch is back, neutral, or forward.

LS4 is supposed to be a harder, more refined LS3. So if LS3 always had a 10' radius it only makes sense to carry that over to the LS4.

Curious to hear more feedback from 1x owners about the LS4 runners.

I dont know how some of you guys are skating on non-profiled Ls3 runners. I felt it was difficult to do crossovers when it wasn't profiled down on the toe.

For those of you that do profile your LS3's, has anyone got them machined profiled to a 9ft radius instead of just shaving it down?

Any recommendations on places I can send mine in to get it machined profiled so both are exactly the same?

Curious to hear more feedback from 1x owners about the LS4 runners.

I dont know how some of you guys are skating on non-profiled Ls3 runners. I felt it was difficult to do crossovers when it wasn't profiled down on the toe.

For those of you that do profile your LS3's, has anyone got them machined profiled to a 9ft radius instead of just shaving it down?

Any recommendations on places I can send mine in to get it machined profiled so both are exactly the same?

I had them profiled at Pro Skate Balance (had actually 2 sets of blades) and it was really amazing. Had a combo radius (9,5 front, 10,5 back and 35/65 Balance Point)

Quick question: had 7,5 EE in APX2 but with thinner socks I felt comfortably now when trying on a pair of 7,5 D 1x.

The EE had a 272mm runner and the D have by default a 263mm. Any idea if 272mm can be ordered for D too (without the need to do a custom order) ?

Any concerns why this should not be done?

Quick question: had 7,5 EE in APX2 but with thinner socks I felt comfortably now when trying on a pair of 7,5 D 1x.

The EE had a 272mm runner and the D have by default a 263mm. Any idea if 272mm can be ordered for D too (without the need to do a custom order) ?

Any concerns why this should not be done?

you'll have to just buy 272 holders or take them off your APX2s and have them put on your 1Xs they will fit on the outsole but the hole may not line up.

Ive been using the 1X skates since there release and there just awesome. I haven't tried the LS4 steel yet though i use LS2 coated with the blackedge coating and I really like them so i don't wanna change the runners.

anybody has some feedback about the blue speed plates? i got them but i have no clue how its supposed to work or if its any good... is this a gimmick or it actually improves something.

I tried on them and MX3s at the Bauer Experience. Both 8D. Strangely the MX3 felt snugger than the 1X. The new tongue will add a bit more volume to them .

I found this out as well, when i tried on the MX3's they were very snug on my forefoot and putting a little bit of pressure on the two bones which are at the widest point on my feet by my big and little toes. What I did notice is that if I changed the insole out for the speedplates, the boot was wider because those tabs or wings sticking up on the MX3 insole were no longer there. But without switching insoles and trying the MX3 versus the 1X out of the box, the 1X did feel a little bit wider in the forefoot. This has me confused thinking maybe I should look at getting a Supreme instead of Vapor's which I have always been in. Heel lock seemed to be the same between the 1X and MX3

anybody has some feedback about the blue speed plates? i got them but i have no clue how its supposed to work or if its any good... is this a gimmick or it actually improves something.

Used them, liked them, but in the end, I went back to using my medium CCM insoles.

Just got the 1x skates. Had them baked but the guy told me not to stand. But I'm thinking the speed plate will not mold properly if I don't. So I left it thinking I would check here. Should I rebake the speed plate and refit standing ?

dang....

thought I should have standed. without full weight how could it mold. disappointed in my local shop.

can the speed plates be baked at home? not really feeling like driving out just to do that

If these do fit a bit larger than the APX 2 as mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm going to be a happy guy. I've never been able to comfortably fit into Vapor skates making Supremes my skate of choice. Not that I'm not happy with them, however I have found that the heel has always been the first to go on me. Meaning that the snugness of the heel lock loosens up on me after about a year of skating 3 times a week. Looking forward to trying them on when I go back home. See you soon JR.

dang....

thought I should have standed. without full weight how could it mold. disappointed in my local shop.

can the speed plates be baked at home? not really feeling like driving out just to do that

Yes you can I bake mine at home it just takes a little longer for the ink to disappear if you do it this way preheat oven to 175 to 200 degrees once its preheated turn the oven off and place the speed plates in oven on a cookie sheet wait for ink to disappear then do everything the video said to do.

If these do fit a bit larger than the APX 2 as mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm going to be a happy guy. I've never been able to comfortably fit into Vapor skates making Supremes my skate of choice. Not that I'm not happy with them, however I have found that the heel has always been the first to go on me. Meaning that the snugness of the heel lock loosens up on me after about a year of skating 3 times a week. Looking forward to trying them on when I go back home. See you soon JR.

I'm starting to have the same problem too on my MX3's. After one year i feel quite a bit of movement in my heel. I've been wearing the skates with Stable 26 socks too (stock 2mm and 4mm inserts) for the past 8 months and even that isn't doing much now. Might have to order the thicker inserts for the socks..

Ive done the lace locking strategy that guys used on here and it helped for a bit. I now have had to switch to a CCM sock rather the Swiftwick socks I had been using.

Nice, good info. I wonder how it compares to the black edge finish. I personally only have experience with LS2. Also LS3 is 10' too right? Anyone have experience with 10' vs 9'? What's the advantages/disadvantages. Btw don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm curious.

I have experience with both 10' and 9'. I had been using ccm's which there steel comes with a 10' and it just felt so much more natural to me that when I switched to my 180's the ls2 9' made it feel like my edges were catching and I couldn't skate as fast. Obviously that just for me when your just standing there you more than likely wouldn't notice the difference but when you're actually skating you'll definitely notice which you do better with. But to be completely honest, speed you may notice a difference because one will be more natural than the other for each person but going from a 9' to a 10' there probably won't be any difference at all in your turning but if you went from like an 8' to a 12' you'd notice a difference.

First skate on these and wow. They are larger volume then my 190s same size.

Very comfy speed plate does in fact offer more support. I felt more stable and my foot pain in my arch is gone. Well done Bauer

I have experience with both 10' and 9'. I had been using ccm's which there steel comes with a 10' and it just felt so much more natural to me that when I switched to my 180's the ls2 9' made it feel like my edges were catching and I couldn't skate as fast. Obviously that just for me when your just standing there you more than likely wouldn't notice the difference but when you're actually skating you'll definitely notice which you do better with. Because a 9' has more blade on the ice, the idea is you have more agility which means tighter turns less speed, and with a 10' which has less blade on the ice, you get more speed but less agility so wider turns. But to be completely honest, speed you may notice a difference because one will be more natural than the other for each person but going from a 9' to a 10' there probably won't be any difference at all in your turning but if you went from like an 8' to a 12' you'd notice a difference.

No. A 10" radius has more blade on the ice than a 9' radius.

I have experience with both 10' and 9'. I had been using ccm's which there steel comes with a 10' and it just felt so much more natural to me that when I switched to my 180's the ls2 9' made it feel like my edges were catching and I couldn't skate as fast. Obviously that just for me when your just standing there you more than likely wouldn't notice the difference but when you're actually skating you'll definitely notice which you do better with. Because a 9' has more blade on the ice, the idea is you have more agility which means tighter turns less speed, and with a 10' which has less blade on the ice, you get more speed but less agility so wider turns. But to be completely honest, speed you may notice a difference because one will be more natural than the other for each person but going from a 9' to a 10' there probably won't be any difference at all in your turning but if you went from like an 8' to a 12' you'd notice a difference.

Doesn't CCM still use a 9' radius out of the box?

Doesn't CCM still use a 9' radius out of the box?

Well on my ccm cl skates the runner had on it 10' so I at least didn't have a 9'

No. A 10" radius has more blade on the ice than a 9' radius.

My bad always thought it was the other way around either way a 10ft just always felt more natural.

LS4 is harder than LS3 steel?...

anybody tried to sharpen LS4 steel with Blackstone X series machines?

I have been sharpening with the X series, first time took a little getting used to because they were brand new blades, after that it's pretty standard, steel is a little harder but they sharpen great with the purple wheel and hold the edges well.