Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

Power Balance Bracelet

It looks like these products are being marketed by different organizations, because I've been using the Sports NRG for Hockey, that were given to me by the distributor in Canada.

I will say this about them: They absolutely work for improving balance, which make them a great placebo while playing.

I was at a show in Toronto in November when Mark County (formerly Salming Canada) brought his buddy by. He had mentioned some product the night before, but I had no idea what it was, so I was surprised when the guy said, "Lift your left left and hold your arms out to the side. Fight against me as push down on your left arm." My arm went down instantly, since there's no balance in that position. He put a business card in my pocket and told me to try again. Instantly, I was stronger. I gave a "What the heck is this????" look. He had me clasp my hands behind my back, then he yanked. I nearly fell over. He put the business card (which had one of the stickers on it) in my pocket and I was nearly able to lift him as he pushed. There was something similar in a pushup position, where I couldn't fight against him without the card, but was able to push him away when the card was placed on the floor beneath me. (He said it has to be within three inches of the body.)

When I asked him how this worked, he said it was similar -- but opposite -- to a cellphone. If I remember correctly, I was on both feet and held my arms out to my side while fighting against his push, but my arm basically collapsed when I held my cellphone against my chest.

We had Gouche try it, and when he was able to hold his arm up in the first trick, he looked around and joked, "Alright, where are the strings?!?!"

I've never written about it because we took video of it, but it's never been posted. As soon as it was, I had planned to create a thread about the stickers, although it looks like they've gotten smart and put the stickers directly on a bracelet. In any event, I'll contact our cameraman to see if he can create a link for us.

Now, regarding the placebo, I've placed one sticker in each skate, as well as one in my shoulder pads and one in my pants. I haven't played a lot in the past six months, but it's probably been 20-25 times. My estimate is I've fallen from lack of balance maybe four times in the that span. That's way less than normal, since I tend to take my curves a bit out of control.

You realize if he did the test backwards, having u wear the band first u would have fell over and then if u took it off u would have been able to fend him off since your body now learned what to expect. Please don't be fooled by this trick.

You realize if he did the test backwards, having u wear the band first u would have fell over and then if u took it off u would have been able to fend him off since your body now learned what to expect. Please don't be fooled by this trick.

I remember one time walking through a crowded bar with my buddy, neither one of us being big bar guys, but we were meeting the other guys from the softball team. Suddenly this girl turned around, glared at him and accused him of pinching her. My buddy was a big man, so he could have ignored her and her boyfriend, but he told her, "I didn't do it. And if you knew me, you'd know that I wouldn't do it."

That sentiment comes to mind when I tell you if you knew me, you'd know I wouldn't be fooled by this trick.

However, I do get tired of people who haven't used them for a split second knowing what those of who have used them actually experienced. It would be like me telling someone on peyote or mushrooms what they actually experienced.

I remember one time walking through a crowded bar with my buddy, neither one of us being big bar guys, but we were meeting the other guys from the softball team. Suddenly this girl turned around, glared at him and accused him of pinching her. My buddy was a big man, so he could have ignored her and her boyfriend, but he told her, "I didn't do it. And if you knew me, you'd know that I wouldn't do it."

That sentiment comes to mind when I tell you if you knew me, you'd know I wouldn't be fooled by this trick.

However, I do get tired of people who haven't used them for a split second knowing what those of who have used them actually experienced. It would be like me telling someone on peyote or mushrooms what they actually experienced.

I have one, and its quite simple to realize it doesn't work. Its a simple trick.

I have one, and its quite simple to realize it doesn't work. Its a simple trick.

I'm gonna wear it to my game tonight, if I score i'll lay off this thread lol.

I do get tired of people who haven't used them for a split second knowing what those of who have used them actually experienced.

Maybe they haven't been given the opportunity to try one on for free (and have no interest in wasting their money? Plus how do you know they haven't tried one on before? I have, many times, and I still know it's a tremendous scam. IT CAN'T WORK. The "science" they use is bunk. If you believe in it so strongly they go prove us wrong and make a million dollars.

If you believe in it so strongly they go prove us wrong and make a million dollars.

It doesn't even remotely qualify according to their website.

At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event

"At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event"

Well, the Bears did win a Super Bowl...

I've been wearing one since the hockey tradeshow. Drewhunz also did the test. Since then, while at Fatburger the next day, I spilled ketchup down my shirt. Right down the middle.

I've been sharpening skates with perfect edges, I even hit 5 stars on songs in Rock Band which I normally hit 4.

It doesn't even remotely qualify according to their website.

My father emailed the president of the organization, and he said that the power balance would be a perfect thing to test.

Maybe they haven't been given the opportunity to try one on for free (and have no interest in wasting their money? Plus how do you know they haven't tried one on before? I have, many times, and I still know it's a tremendous scam. IT CAN'T WORK. The "science" they use is bunk. If you believe in it so strongly they go prove us wrong and make a million dollars.

I have given full disclosure on this (or any other) topics:

1) I post with my real name.

2) I described exactly how I came to learn about the holograms and the test that was given.

3) I posted the video we made immediately after the first test. This includes two tests that were performed to me for the first time.

4) I've stated I watched about five other people take the test at different times, none of which were performed in a leading fashion, and all of whom agree their bodies responded differently with the holograms in proximity.

5) I've stated (in another thread) that I've been an atheist for 40 years, because faith means nothing to me; only evidence matters.

6) I've claimed that I've tried to pay attention to how many times I've fell on the ice since attaching the holograms to my equipment, and have readily conceded this is not measurable, so can only be considered anecdotal evidence.

7) I've stated I have no financial involvement, and really don't care whether anyone decides to either spend their money on these or borrow a friend's. It won't affect what I do or what I believe.

Conversely, your position has been:

1) Five times suggesting strongly that someone should present this to JREF to try to win $1 million.

2) On the fifth time, after I stated it bugs me that people who have no experience with the holograms apparently are still willing to consider themselves experts, you conceded you've used the holograms. Many times. So you either spent your own money on the holograms or borrowed a friend's, then tried them for many times, before the experience presumably ended in disappointment for you as a scam.

There are three things we can deduce from this:

1) You think I am naive for having a different belief from my experience than you have had from your experience with them.

2) You care about the JREF $1 million challenge. I don't.

3) You've lacked full disclosure in this thread.

yeah, its a big joke...

but they do have a ton of big names

if you check out their site, they have testimonials from a lot of athletes, teemu selanne from hockey...

and charlie manual (philles bench boss) swears by them... but its a big marketing thing, its going to be another livestrong thing,

powerbalance

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/feet-dont-fail-me-now-says-charlie-manuel-before-w,10169/

"At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event"

Well, the Bears did win a Super Bowl...

That was sheer power, offense and defense. Nothing hidden, you could see what happened on the field.

3) I posted the video we made immediately after the first test. This includes two tests that were performed to me for the first time.

4) I've stated I watched about five other people take the test at different times, none of which were performed in a leading fashion, and all of whom agree their bodies responded differently with the holograms in proximity.

5) I've stated (in another thread) that I've been an atheist for 40 years, because faith means nothing to me; only evidence matters.

6) I've claimed that I've tried to pay attention to how many times I've fell on the ice since attaching the holograms to my equipment, and have readily conceded this is not measurable, so can only be considered anecdotal evidence.

Conversely, your position has been:

1) Five times suggesting strongly that someone should present this to JREF to try to win $1 million.

There are three things we can deduce from this:

2) You care about the JREF $1 million challenge. I don't.

Here's what I've deduced from this trainwreck of new age psychobabble.

1. Evidence matters.

2. You are subsisting only on anecdotal evidence.

3. You find absolutely no need for emperical evidence to substantiate your claims.

4. Compensation for emperical proof to your claims is on no benefit.

5. Your arguments scream blind faith to me, hoever you claim to be athiest. Somewhere this message doesn't jive.

So only evidence matters, but you feel that providing clear, unbiased, emperical and repeatable evidence is unnecessary. I think you've found a religion. You're a PowerBalancian :wink:

I have worn one for a while and I have come to the conclusion that even if it has a placebo effect, it still has an effect. To me it is worth the money. But then again I used to spend a ton of money on supplements before I realized how much better whole food tasted than powder!

And just because of the link to the onion. Did you guys see that the Stanley Cup has been stolen?

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/evil-red-wings-owner-wario-lemieux-steals-stanley,10027/

I have given full disclosure on this (or any other) topics:

1) I post with my real name.

3) You've lacked full disclosure in this thread.

Since numbers appear to be all the rage right now...

1) My roommate wasted his money on a bracelet and I tried it on for a few days. I didn't feel any difference on or off the ice, amazing how a placebo wont work if you don't have blind faith. I wasn't trying to hide that from you, or anyone else, it just never came up.

2) I have not disclosed my real name because it is not important, I am not involved in the hockey industry in any way. I am just a college student as well as a beer league GM and Captain who enjoys gear. My name is Alex Tramiel by the way.

3) I do not remember the first time I heard about the holograms, so I couldn't post an anecdote, or a video, sorry. I know many people who own bracelets, and none of them have noticed any sort of improvement. They buy them because they are "cool" and Kobe wears one. They also tell me it can't hurt and it's fashionable. Personally I think it shows a complete lack of intelligence and belief in anything real, such as science. Plus it's an egregious waste of money. Perhaps they don't notice effects because they have purchased the band without the "tests" being done on them, or because it doesn't work.

4) I have suggested the JREF prize so often for a simple reason. If I believed in a product as strongly as you appear to and was given the opportunity to win a million dollars for it I would jump at it. All you have to do is prove what you believe in is in fact real and if evidence is all that you care about this is perfect for you. It's a million dollars! Imagine how much equipment and ice time that is!

I just don't understand why you guys think performing the same test on new people is proof that it works. It's a simple test that causes your body to learn what to expect so obviously the second time with the bracelet your going to respond differently since you know what will happen.

Years ago, I was living with a woman and helped her to get into shape. This involved introducing her to the gym, as well as better eating habits, such as more fruit and vegetables in her diet. Lo and behold, she found that she was becoming more "regular." There were mostly women in her office, so she told them about her experience and, in short order, I became the guru in her office for espousing the miracle benefits of eating more fruit. I don't recall ever seeing any empirical evidence that fiber leads to X percentage more trips to the potty, but I wouldn't need to know those statistics, because I know -- ANECDOTALLY -- that I have more eureka moments when I eat more fruit/vegetables, plus drink more water.

I don't consider it blind faith that I understand how my body reacts to when I eat well versus poorly, just as I don't consider it blind faith that I noticed my body reacted differently while in proximity to the holograms. Some of you have suggested it's natural for someone to perform better on the second part of a physical test, because they are better prepared to resist. I totally agree with that sentiment. However, I think most of us would agree that the improvement would be incremental; for instance, your max on the bench wouldn't go from 200 pounds to 400 because you suddenly had a better idea of what to expect. I've been a gym rat for over 30 years; I'm in tune enough with my body to know when I've made a mistake and the weights don't match up on the bench, such as if I put a 45 pounder on one side and a 35 on the other. So I'm aware enough to know that when I did the test I wasn't able to just fight him 10% better, but it was more like being twice as strong. If that's just because I knew what to expect, then I challenge any of you to double your bench press today.

Now, onto the topic of the placebo while playing. What placebo?? That presupposes that I entered the ice with fire in my veins because I knew my new found friend would look over me. What I do recall thinking is, "It would be interesting to see whether these holograms have any effect on the ice." Even after months of banter on this thread, it's not like I think about the holograms while playing. Nor do I think anybody else would think about them while playing. Why should they? It's irrelevant to the game. It would be equivalent to wondering whether your slapshot got better because the new gloves have nash palms. The extent of my thinking about the holograms has occurred while visiting or typing in this thread, and the only thought I have about them as they pertain to hockey is I've fallen about 8 or 9 times over the past 15 months, a far lower rate than I did before.

Do I now go on the ice with my chest puffed out because I know the holograms will protect me? Nope. Do I believe they have led to some improvement? Yes, it would appear that way. Do I have empirical evidence? Yes, it seems that I do, based on before and after falling, but it's certainly not a double blind experiment. Do I care that this might not be construed as empirical evidence? Nope, because it's irrelevant to me whether anyone else does or doesn't benefit from using the holograms.

Finally, Alex, regarding the JREF, I feel you're not reading closing enough, because I have said numerous times that I have no financial interest in the holograms, I couldn't give a rat's ass whether anyone else uses them, and I don't care whether anyone wants to spend their time chasing after the $1 million dollars.

I. Don't. Care.

(Oh, and regarding all the hockey equipment I could buy, my skates, pants and gloves are 6 years old. My elbow and shin pads are about 8 years old. My helmet is 19 years old, my shoulder pads older. I couldn't tell you what brand my shoulder or elbow pads are, while I think the shin pads are CCM. I don't think about those things when I'm playing, just like I don't think about the holograms.)