Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cosmic

Curve comparison - P40 vs. W88

I am presently using W88 Zetterberg. and love everything about it (like, rocker, curve), except for the slightly open face. I want the face to be closed. My shots tend to sail high when I shoot wristers from far out. I want my wristers to sail low.

Is the P40 what I am looking for? It seems like it is a clone of the W88, except that the face of P40 is closed.

I used to use Kovalchuk, and loved the closed face for shooting, but the lack of a rocker made stickhandling impossible, so I switched to W88.

Yea that's not really helpful. My blade is going soft anyway and it is time for a new one, so just trying to figure what is what for my next blade. With the Kovalchuk retail curve, my shots were perfect, same technique- just trying to get back to that, while enjoying this newfound semi-decency with puckhandling.

Cheers.

Just trying to help.

The thing with retail curves is that you almost never get exactly what you want, or at least what you think you want. Like in your case you have to compromise between shooting and stickhandling.

The truth is that, in the long run, learning how to shoot low with an open face (or, high with a closed face) will help your game a lot more than just trying to fix it by buying new sticks.

Just trying to help.

The thing with retail curves is that you almost never get exactly what you want, or at least what you think you want. Like in your case you have to compromise between shooting and stickhandling.

The truth is that, in the long run, learning how to shoot low with an open face (or, high with a closed face) will help your game a lot more than just trying to fix it by buying new sticks.

I can shoot high with closed face no problem. Shooting low wristshots, from far out, when pressed for time and space (so I am off balance with bad technique), with the closed face- I am golden.

Shooting low wristshots, from far out, when pressed for time and space, with the open face is the problem.

I am not buying new sticks- I am a 2 piece guy, so I cut my expenses down quite a bit when making these changes.

lol - I absolutely loathe the open face, and am only tolerating slightly open W88 due to lack of availability of what I want (closed face), in the replacement blade offerings. Hoping that the new CCM blades (the ones on Superfast, Tacks, or Ribcor sticks) become available as blade only soon, in the P40 Hedman.

Most are going to have a slightly open face the one I would look for if you can find it is the W08 Kovalchuk mid kink with closed toe that way you can stay in a warrior.

Probably not going to see much of New style replacement blades anytime soon, a lot of companies are not focusing on that segment any longer and for sure not developing any new tech for them

Most are going to have a slightly open face the one I would look for if you can find it is the W08 Kovalchuk mid kink with closed toe that way you can stay in a warrior.

Probably not going to see much of New style replacement blades anytime soon, a lot of companies are not focusing on that segment any longer and for sure not developing any new tech for them

lol he already said he tried it, he actually used it before the w88..

Changing curves is a pain, consistency in your gear is key to having the stick act as an extension of your body. Just stick with the curve you like and work on technique to fix going high.

Sorry Missed the last part of his original post. With that being said most patterns out there are going to have slight open toe not many closed any longer

Don't forget about lie angle. Comfort and ease of stick handling will have more to do with the lie angle than the curve. Switching curves for the sake of your shot may mean a different lie angle. A lie angle adjustment is WAY harder to get used to, than just trying to shoot lower with a stick that gives you confidence handling the puck

Anyone find a replacement for the w08?? ... I too love it for long range wristers.  Really good for stick handling too ... agressive  curve with a closed face is what I miss :(

On 10/1/2014 at 12:35 PM, jdksaves said:

Sorry Missed the last part of his original post. With that being said most patterns out there are going to have slight open toe not many closed any longer

JDK, how would you describe the MC2 vs. the MC and the TC2? I'm currently using the TC2, but was thinking of going to either the MC2 or the TC4. However, I'm a little uncertain with the TC4 because of the dual lie.

Have you ever thought about contacting Base hockey? Their site is going through an update right now but you can still email or phone them. Last I checked they still sell two piece set ups and if their blade options are the same as their custom sticks, you'll find what ever you want. 

I have both at home, I'll compare them and let you know.

What about the P30?  It's a closed toe, aside from the little kink on the bottom.  I know you have been using it, why did you go away and back to the W88?

9 hours ago, darkhors said:

JDK, how would you describe the MC2 vs. the MC and the TC2? I'm currently using the TC2, but was thinking of going to either the MC2 or the TC4. However, I'm a little uncertain with the TC4 because of the dual lie.

MC2 is a PM9 clone, MC is p88 (maybe with less rocker?). They might not be 100% exact copies, but close enough. I've always thought both had fairly neutral faces. 

I have both the Bauer p88 (w88 is a clone of this if I'm not mistaken) and the ccm p40.  They look virtually identical to me I think the p40 has a slightly lower lie...

On 12/4/2017 at 9:12 AM, darkhors said:

MC is a deeper mid curve than the MC2 and based off the P40, P88, etc, but with a 5 lie. The MC2 is less of a mid curve than the MC and based off the P14, PM9 etc. The TC2 is much different in the regard of being more toe curve and opening up with a rounded toe and based off of the P29, P92. The TC4 is a much deeper toe curve that opens up a decent amount and is based of the P28 pattern. If you are looking at MC2 and TC4 you are looking at two opposite spectrum's of the curve chart. Why are you looking to change and what are you looking for in the curve

20 hours ago, start_today said:

MC2 is a PM9 clone, MC is p88 (maybe with less rocker?). They might not be 100% exact copies, but close enough. I've always thought both had fairly neutral faces. 

they are close to the competitors, but the MC is a lower lie and both do have more of a neutral face, especially in comparing to TC2 or TC4

On 12/5/2017 at 4:08 PM, jdksaves said:

MC is a deeper mid curve than the MC2 and based off the P40, P88, etc, but with a 5 lie. The MC2 is less of a mid curve than the MC and based off the P14, PM9 etc. The TC2 is much different in the regard of being more toe curve and opening up with a rounded toe and based off of the P29, P92. The TC4 is a much deeper toe curve that opens up a decent amount and is based of the P28 pattern. If you are looking at MC2 and TC4 you are looking at two opposite spectrum's of the curve chart. Why are you looking to change and what are you looking for in the curve

they are close to the competitors, but the MC is a lower lie and both do have more of a neutral face, especially in comparing to TC2 or TC4

My miss tendency is to miss high with my TC2. I did use the MC before and I switched to the TC2 to get a little more lift from the curve. I was thinking of maybe trying to find something inbetween the MC and TC2, like a TC2 but a hair more closed on the face. I do like the look of the TC4 in terms of the extra toe kink, but I'm not sure how I'd get along with the dual rocker. I love my True's and I'm planning on picking one up here around Christmas so I'm trying to figure out if I just stay with the TC2 (or TC2.5) or make the switch to one of these.

1 hour ago, darkhors said:

My miss tendency is to miss high with my TC2. I did use the MC before and I switched to the TC2 to get a little more lift from the curve. I was thinking of maybe trying to find something inbetween the MC and TC2, like a TC2 but a hair more closed on the face. I do like the look of the TC4 in terms of the extra toe kink, but I'm not sure how I'd get along with the dual rocker. I love my True's and I'm planning on picking one up here around Christmas so I'm trying to figure out if I just stay with the TC2 (or TC2.5) or make the switch to one of these.

As a longtime P88/P40 hardcore fan who has recently switched to P92/TC2, I can tell you my personal experience - I needed to cut my stick significantly shorter to have success with the P92. And I wouldn't go back now that I have made the transition.

colins

9 minutes ago, colins said:

As a longtime P88/P40 hardcore fan who has recently switched to P92/TC2, I can tell you my personal experience - I needed to cut my stick significantly shorter to have success with the P92. And I wouldn't go back now that I have made the transition.

colins

Yeah, I was also thinking of maybe just switching to the TC2.5 for the lower lie. It's possible that could help as well.