Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrhky36

repair of equiment

Ah well. Sewed rips in pants and socks. Tried to fix cracked kneecaps in shin pads, sewed and glued them to no avail.

Great thread!

I can remember the blanket stitch, I used this to repair my shin guards. (after I cut 3/4" off the plastic and pierced the fabric padding!)

Never been taught how to darn socks, but I did a pretty good job of repairing some holes and cuts in mine (made up my own bodgy stitching technique!)

Penetrating oil to free up a sticky zipper on my gear bag

Added 1/2" extra to a wooden stick, with two part epoxy and screwed it together as well. (screws are recessed well below the surface for safety. And its well taped over as well.)

I love DIY and reducing waste! (and expense!)

Ah well. Sewed rips in pants and socks. Tried to fix cracked kneecaps in shin pads, sewed and glued them to no avail.

My wife ran over my shinpads, so they're cracked too. I don't think they can be saved.

Has anyone taken the bicept protectors off their elbow pads, I was watching CBC's presentation on head shots the other day and it showd john mirasty's eblow pads where they removed the bicept protector. If you've removed it do you miss it?

I'm worried that my hockey blade might be broken or breaking, and I was just wondering if I can just replace the blade one it. Its a one piece stick, a Warrior Hitman. If you can just cut off my old blade and stick in a new one what kind of blade would it need a standard or tapered blade?

hopefully this is the right spot for this :p

I'm worried that my hockey blade might be broken or breaking, and I was just wondering if I can just replace the blade one it. Its a one piece stick, a Warrior Hitman. If you can just cut off my old blade and stick in a new one what kind of blade would it need a standard or tapered blade?

hopefully this is the right spot for this :p

Might be more appropriate here.

For somebody that has absolutely no ability to sew or stitch, what's the best way for a quick repair of loose glove palm stitching? The stitching near the fingertip on my thumb has come undone and I've got a tourney this weekend and can't afford new gloves or have the time to drop them off at a repair place.

I was thinking about fabric glue, but is it easy enough to get a needle and thread and do it? Any special kind needed?

Sewing for a repair is easy. It doesn't have to be perfect or technically the correct way of doing it. I repair my EDGE socks about once a month. The repairs hold well but I have no idea if I'm using an actual sewing technique, I just made it up as I went along.

I picked up a $2 sewing kit and stitched up the glove. It looks like hell but it will work for the weekend. I just kept going back and forth until I ran out of thread :P

I picked up a $2 sewing kit and stitched up the glove. It looks like hell but it will work for the weekend. I just kept going back and forth until I ran out of thread :P

The more practice you get, the better you'll get at it. Some of my early repairs were pretty ugly, but I do a quite decent job now that I sort of know what I'm doing.

The more practice you get, the better you'll get at it. Some of my early repairs were pretty ugly, but I do a quite decent job now that I sort of know what I'm doing.

Agreed. I still don't know if I'm doing it "right" but it looks rather clean at this point.

FYI, waxed dental floss and a large gauge needle works perfectly for glove repairs. You can make fewer stitches because the floss is very sturdy compared tonregular thread.

Agreed. I still don't know if I'm doing it "right" but it looks rather clean at this point.

I'm sure I'm not doing it right, so I over-do it to make sure it doesn't come undone. Looks pretty decent now though.

Sewing for a repair is easy. It doesn't have to be perfect or technically the correct way of doing it. I repair my EDGE socks about once a month. The repairs hold well but I have no idea if I'm using an actual sewing technique, I just made it up as I went along.

Me too. Just turn the socks inside out and pull together the part that needs to be repaired so that the thread used ends up on the inside of the sock. Even my Frankenstein sewing looks okay when viewing the sock from the outside out

I have changed out the shoulder caps on my old Reebok 8K's to the fitlite caps from the following years 6K's. Then, since the bicep pads on the 6K's were too small, I moved the adjustable bicep strap onto my 8K bicep pads and added the attachment point to the shoulder pads. I stitched the straps back on my jock. I've also fixed a couple pairs of socks. I've removed the extended protection from my 8K pro elbows. And I think that's it, I feel like I've done more but I can't remember right now.

Has anyone cut off an inch on shin guard say make a 17" into a 16"? If so how would you recomend doing it? Would the plastic be the same diameter and size of a 16" shin gaurd? Suggestions appriciated.

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but does anybody know how to go about replacing the top inside pad on a pair of gloves? the one that sits above the back of your hand? I got a pair of franchises at a good price but that part is cut out.

Has anyone cut off an inch on shin guard say make a 17" into a 16"? If so how would you recomend doing it? Would the plastic be the same diameter and size of a 16" shin gaurd? Suggestions appriciated.

I have ;)

I used a Dremel. And everything was just about perfect except the bottom of the shin was a little wider. But i like it better that way because it fits over my skate better

Will post pics when i get a chance.