Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NI44

hockey phrases

I can't believe no one has posted the most over used phrase in hockey:

"We just have to take care of our own end and WORK HARD!"

Or...

"We just have to take it one game at a time and see how it goes"

or...

"I'm just trying to play hard and help the team, you know?"

I like a lot of hockey phrases, especially ones that have spun out to create new phrases....

e.g. An announcer in the UK always says "he beat him like a rented mule".....

Which turned into "I just rented him", when ever you made a goalie or a guy 1on1 look stupid.

One day, one of the guys scored a real sweet goal, some one chirps up "you just rented him".... He looks across the bench and shouts "RENTED!?!?!... I JUST MORTGAGED THE MOTHER F...."

Quality.

"Backcheck, forecheck, paycheck" was always a favourite to encourage two way hockey.

And I also like Darren Pangs "twisted wrister", after a sweet wrist shot.

Or if some thing is really cool in a game it a "dripping roast".... old Yorkshire phrase from the UK. A drippin' roast of a fight. Or that chick was a drippin' roast!

Jeez. I've got a bunch - most of them variations of ones that were already listed. A few of my favorites:

- "Soft hands, hard knuckles." - Describes good goal-scorers who've got a bit of grit to them (ex. Cam Neely)

- "If you don't bake the biscuit, you can't put the biscuit in the basket." - Stolen from SportsCenter; you can't score if you don't shoot the puck.

- "If you're not playing hurt, you're not playing right." - Pretty self-explanitory

Herb Brooks had some great ones. my favorite was:

"You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month."

Everytime someone trips by or right over one of the blur or red lines, right by the bench, our coach always has something funny to say like, "you gotta watch out for that buddy, we raised that line 3 inches last week" as they are skating to their bench

thats awesome i was just about to say that one, our coach always says that, if someone trips near the blueline or something, it actually goes like this "Hey watch out for that blueline we raised that last week!". hes quite a funny guy.

and of course, the Man -Don Cherry

"You kids at home, watch this"

and "Nobody ever gets hurt in a hockey fight"

"Wham-oh!" Wasn't that from the god awful hiphop/rap thing he did in the mid 90's????

Ah man i love that song(rock 'em sock'em techno)

and of course, the Man -Don Cherry

"You kids at home, watch this"

and "Nobody ever gets hurt in a hockey fight"

"Wham-oh!" Wasn't that from the god awful hiphop/rap thing he did in the mid 90's????

Ah man i love that song(rock 'em sock'em techno)

another one of his sayings i like is hows she going

this ones for at a game of shinny when a guys on a breakaway and some guy skates super hard to trip him" look at my johhny game 7 over there"

heres one for when one team is scoring alot of goals" the flood gates are open"

and then the classis "all swedish but no finish"

Adult league play:

"Put the bisquit in the basket"

"Flailer" (new skater falling on thier A$$)

"Puck Hog" (half the members on my team)

Kids:

"Where's the puck!?!, Where's the puck" Parents always do a double take :)

"My Puck.. My Puck"

this ones for at a game of shinny when a guys on a breakaway and some guy skates super hard to trip him" look at my johhny game 7 over there"

heres one for when one team is scoring alot of goals" the flood gates are open"

and then the classis "all swedish but no finish"

Lol I always say that to someone when they absolutely dangle someone but then skate in on the net and miss it. Lol

Ive heard a few new ones and will try to sound like i know something around the rink now...heres the one that is said alot in my rink:

Siv!!!! = When the goalie lets in many goals or when it was a really crappy funny goal

I was saw this fat kid do a "michigen" (I know it's spelt wrong) on a crap goalie.

He picked the puck out of the net liked he'd just scored the stanley cup game winner, one of the lads said to him "it's not a real biscuit.... you can't eat it you tubby bitch".

I was rollin with laughter after, all the thunder had been taken from his moment of glory and he looked a horses ass. Even his own team were laughin' at him.

Oh yeah also when someone dekes a goalie back and forth and then just slides it in five hole, I call it "Opening the Garage door." I got it from one of the skills competitions but yeah.

Overheard at my game this past week from the stands after one of our forwards got slashed across the hands and no penalty was called...

"Hey Ref! Check your cell... you missed a call!"

Whether I know the ref or not - "Call it, Hannah!"

If I'm bustin' on a teammate who is out of the line-up for the night in favor of another guy who usually doesn't dress - "You seen *insert other kid's last name here* lately? He's been skatin' The River."

Fun reading this old thread.. great shit here!!!

Here's one one of my teammate yells when we bunch up:

"You look like a bunch of monkeys humping a football!"

To bring back Youngblood again....when razzing the ref:

"Hey look, boards, ice... I must be at a hockey game!"

For the refs that don't call anything I like to yell:

"That silver thing in your pocket... its a whistle... you blow it!!!"

When a guy gets pick pocketed and stripped of the puck we yell "RAPED!!!"

When one of our guys makes a sweet move and get through the defensmen we yell "OWNED!!"

For a ref who is sucking the whole game: "hey ref I think you might be pregnant cuz you've missed two periods already.

And I love the term "yard sale"