Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NI44

hockey phrases

Best hockey story of all time.

It was my senior year of HS, playing for a small Polish-Catholic school. It was at Orchard Lake playing our Cross-Town Rivals for the D2 Catholic League Championchips. Our coach was the hockey version of 'Boilermaker' from the Bad News Bears: Dumb as a rock, little knowledge of the mechanics of the game or coaching, and a drunk to boot. Before we head onto the ice for warmup, he spews this classic:

Ok guys, I am going to tell you a story to motivate you for tonight's game. There once was a great battle, where there were 50 Romans vs. a tough competitor. All 50 of them went into the battle, and they all died.

We ended up getting killed, haha.

I had a coach who litteraly taped a kid's bottom hand to his stick for practice once... One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

When my pops was coaching he used to that all the time...Weights on the bottom of sticks for kids who wouldn't keep them on the ice was another favorite of his as well

Read through the majority of this thread and I must admit a lot of these phrases must be strictly Canadian things or just after my time :lol:

Favorite announcer phrases:

"Oh baby" - John Davidson, boy do I miss his color commentary on Rangers games, I must say he's a tough act to follow.

"Matteau, Matteau, Matteau" - Howie Rose. This phrase also became customary for teammates to yell after a wrap around goal was scored back on my high school team.

Then there's some coach-isms:

"keep your (pecker) in your pants", said by my HS coach b/t periods of a tough close game that was on the brink of getting out of hand. (substitute a more vulgar version of pecker for the actual quote)

Unfortunately that was shortly followed by

"give it everything you've got for 30 seconds and come right back to the bench where someone will be waiting to give you a blow" and being the immature high school kids we were, we had a very tough time keeping straight faces afterwards; it became an ongoing joke amongst teammates the rest of the year and even to this day, 11 years later, me and my friends still use it whenever we have the chance.

Explanation/Story for those of us who weren't there?

Half the phrases/terms in here are greek to me, I'm assuming a lot of them are Canadian terms? Would love some definitions/explanations.

The other day, on this board, was the first time I ever heard of "shinny", I assumed it was the same as open hockey but after googling it found it was a little bit different. I googled "katie bar the door", another phrase I've never heard before, and found it means to take precaution... still not sure how and when it would be used in a hockey sense but I'm sure some of you can fill me in. ;)

Explanation/Story for those of us who weren't there?

Half the phrases/terms in here are greek to me, I'm assuming a lot of them are Canadian terms? Would love some definitions/explanations.

The other day, on this board, was the first time I ever heard of "shinny", I assumed it was the same as open hockey but after googling it found it was a little bit different. I googled "katie bar the door", another phrase I've never heard before, and found it means to take precaution... still not sure how and when it would be used in a hockey sense but I'm sure some of you can fill me in. ;)

yea same i always just thought it was open hockey but is a totally different thing as i just found out by googling b.c of the post above me lol

I've seen a new floating around Facebook.

"Swagg".

Does that refer to a players gear as 'swag'.... Or is it more in reference to overall style and Swagg-er

[n/m]...I guess when all you do is look at pictures you tend to miss something:

swag·ger--

1. to walk or strut with a defiant or insolent air.

2. to boast or brag noisily.

3. to bring, drive, force, etc., by blustering.

4. swaggering manner, conduct, or walk; ostentatious display of arrogance and conceit.

I've seen a new floating around Facebook.

"Swagg".

Does that refer to a players gear as 'swag'.... Or is it more in reference to overall style and Swagg-er

[n/m]...I guess when all you do is look at pictures you tend to miss something:

swag·ger--

1. to walk or strut with a defiant or insolent air.

2. to boast or brag noisily.

3. to bring, drive, force, etc., by blustering.

4. swaggering manner, conduct, or walk; ostentatious display of arrogance and conceit.

I have always understood it as overall style but with a lot of phrases there could be other meanings.